Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Bowing out of forum
[Post New]
This is an open letter to the forum in general but also specifically to Tony, Jim, Dafydd and a few others with whom I had several interactions.

I participated actively on the forum and spent many, many hours trying to get the most out of PD7 which I bought specifically to edit AVCHD.
I have demonstrated and documented failings of the programme in relation to AVCHD video and I had assurances that fixes were forthcoming.

PD8 has been released and although there are cosmetic changes and a few extra features I have tested, these will not be particularly useful to me and as such upgrading will be a waste of money. I believe there will be little support in regards to patches for PD7 now PD8 has been released.

All this leaves me with probably little to contribute to the forum as most users will be moving onto PD8.

Thank you for your encouragement & advice, and I hope I have in turn helped a few people out.

Regards

pjc

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Philip,
I am saddened to read this open letter. I enjoy reading your helpful incisive input here. Your Senior Contributor status reflects the number of posts and participation on the forum.

There is no need to go "walkabout" without revisiting here and remain around.

Re: The AVCHD module concerns - yes, it is mine also. I have followed this up.

warm regards

Dafydd
Konstantinos [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2009 06:34 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Dafydd,
I am new to the forum and I've recently purchased PD 8 (although I haven't yet been able to download it from River's site...)

My question is that I have a Canon HF 20 that is not supported by Cyberlink and I am very worried about the AVCHD rendering issues that I have read on this forum. Should I cancel the buy based on the final video quality? Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Konstantinos Anastasiou - Athens, Greece.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
pjc,

I second Dafydd's comments.

So many have benefited from your contribution to this forum.
And I count myself as one of them. I've always found your reasoned insight and knowledge of PD to be very informative and valuable.

AVCHD is not an issue for me at present, but it may be someday, just as it is now for many others.
And I know you have expended much effort in trying to get Cyberlink to keep their eye on the ball with respect to correcting AVCHD issues. So for those disgruntled members who share your concerns, and who have not had their AVCHD concerns appeased by a new Floating Dandelion Transition in PD8, your voice will be missed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 10. 2009 09:15

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
pjc

Seconded or thirded or whatever.

You always appear to be concise and well organised. I tend to dart about like a butterfly - although with my weight the wingspan required for me to 'dart' is about 747 size, so maybe not a butterfly.

Thanks.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
pjc,

I'm at a loss of words to see you go, although I've contemplated the same myself. PD8 was a total let down in all aspects for me but I'm trying to weather the storm. I too echo Dafydd and Cranston's comments about your contributions. I always read your posts; they are accurate, concise, and very helpful. Thanks for all the insights and I wish you happy editing.

Jeff
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
pjc -

"If you leave me, can I come too?" springs to mind immediately. Mate - what's a bloke gonna do now? As a newbie Canon & PD user, I have thoroughly relied on your perspctive on things (and James'). There have been dozens of times when the combination of my PC & PD are struggling to deal with Canon's clips, I scratch around the forum trying to find what you'd said about that particular issue. I heartily join the chorus of praise for your contribution to this forum. At a personal level, I'll miss what you have to say.

The flip side is that I completely understand your reasoning &, as Jeff mentioned, there would be others in the same boat. I, too, was hoping that PD8 might come up with the goods on the AVCHD front... had that improved, I'd have been into PD8 right now (despite the floating daisies). Without PD8, it is becoming more difficult to be able to make useful comments (and, unlike you, I was having trouble enough before).

I guess this means the offer of the dog-house is off.

Cheers mate - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
PJC
I echo what my friends here have echoed above. Cyberlink should realize how passionate people are for PD. They are devastated when CL lets them down. I was one of them. With Daffydd's kind cajoling I came back.

All I can request you is wait for a while.Maybe someone in CL is reading these posts right now. They will meet our expectations; they will have to; do they have a choice to lose customers ?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 10. 2009 12:24

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

[Post New]
Quote: pjc,

So for those disgruntled members who share your concerns, and who have not had their AVCHD concerns appeased by a new Floating Dandelion Transition in PD8, your voice will be missed.

That is funny! Ahhhh, the magical appeasing powers of the Floating Dandelion - gotta love it!

pjc - I haven't been around here long enough to know you, but if this cast of characters are gonna miss your posts - I'm guessing I would have too!

Elise

p.s. Can someone please tell me what AVCHD is? I was feeling a bit disgruntled when I awoke this morning and I'm trying to figure out if it's the AVCHD issues, or if it was something my hubby said !
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
read this wiki article for details of AVCHD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

I suspect that either the codec is proprietary and or there is something we dont know, going on.

I recently downloaded a codec off the web which allowed me to import and edit/watch a 1080p25.mov file which I think is AVCHD but it was not a free codec and was overlaid with a copyright mask. If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
Juan [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Dec 01, 2008 23:35 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
pjc,

If someone like you is leaving, I'm sure a lot of people will follow. A company that doesn't listen to its customers will eventually dissapear.

I personally left this forum and PD few months ago, I came back after the news about PD8 just to be dissaponted again, but at the same time I was so glad that you were still here sharing your wisdom.

We were promised a solution in PD7 to the AVCHD issue, they had enough time to fix the problem, they didn't. Your decision make sense.

CHEERS,

Juan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 10. 2009 15:55

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Philip, it's sad to hear that you plan on leaving the forum. You provided me a lot of help last March when we were trading files to compare MPEG2 rendering quality. I hope you at least stop by to see what updates get posted. I'll send you a PM if anything eventually gets fixed on the AVCHD front. Good luck in your search in finding an editor which suits your needs better.

Jim Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Don't go, we need your avatar. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT