Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Bottom slider is hidden behind Windows Taskbar
Raphael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2009 03:29 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have a dual core, Windows XP Home, 2 GB memory, 250GB disk, nVidia graphic card, a 22' wide LG monitor with 1680*1050 native resolution.
In the PD7 screen, we have the bottom part with the timeline tracks (video, sound, pip, music etc.). At the bottom of lower part is a horizontal slider to enable us to move to the first or last video clip. When you have many clips in your production, this slider is extremely convenient and important.
But, on my screen, and on other tested screens, the bottom slider is hidden behind the Windows Taskbar, and is visible only if you enable Auto Hide of the Taskbar. Auto hide the Taskbar is something I do not like at all.
It seems that PD7 works only in full screen mode with the mentioned drawback.

I posted a question to Technical support but received no solution. They suggeted lowering my screen resolution (which did not change anything), then suggested I add more PIP tracks (which did not solve the problem).

Did anybody else notice this problem? Is there an acceptable solution?
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Are you sure the PD window is maximized completely? I've never had this problem. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
For me, this problem was fixed in the 3017 release, but I'm running win7. It all previous releases, PD7 use to over run the task bar (at the bottom) and the gadgets toolbar. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
I have never had this problem either unless I had more than one PIP track showing, then the bottom tracks (audio and voice) disappear and, thus, the slider too.

There is a little icon under the viewing screen on mine that I use that says fit timeline and it squishes it up so that I can see the whole working space. Don't know if this will help or not until the problem is figured out.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Raphael -

I've found the sizing of the windows to be a bit inflexible in PD but, as OnTheWeb said, it did get better with the latest patch.

When it used to get in my way (& I do auto hide the task bar), I moved the taskbar to the side. Just pick it up and drag it to the edge of the screen.

oh - and use McClean's squishy idea too - very useful when you have a long/complex piece to edit.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Tony, I noticed in a post some time ago, that you are a stickler for spelling etc. I've been waiting to see if you were going to notice that my name was McLean not McClean but since you seem to like McClean, I thought I would just mention it.

Thanks.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
WHOOPS!

My humble apologies, McLean Thanks for pointing it out - I would have blindly gone on repeating the same error, ad infinitum.

Tony
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you.
Raphael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony, Auto hide the taskbar does solve the problem, but as I mentioned I don't like it. The fit timeline icon does not do anything to the bottom scroll bar. It stays hidden behind Windows taskbar.
I am using some 30-40 video sequences and very soon you discover that you need the (hidden) slider.
I don't think that moving the taskbar will help. It will obscure some other parts of PD7.
Anyway, thanks to all for your help.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 03. 2009 02:28

McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Perhaps dragging the task bar to the side as Tony's second suggestion would help?
Raphael [Avatar]
[Post New]
NcLean, moving the taskbar is similar to autohide. It does change the look of windows, as we know it, and therefore would confuse the other user of this computer, my wife.
I myself am a software developer, and would get along with the change, but my wife.....
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Let your monitor auto set the screen display, should resize PD to take account of the task bar. Also what size monitor are you using? What's the resolution setting?

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2009 02:37

McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Very true, but you could move it to the side while you are video editing, and then drag it back to the bottom when you are not working on the project? Just a thought.

Ahhh our fearless moderator, thank you Dafydd.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2009 02:36

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Valerie, put Tony out of his misery, get him to call you "Valerie" and he'll be smitten with dithering trepidation and scared stiff to spell it incorrectly!

ha ha

Dafydd
[troublemaker]
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd
[troublemaker]

uh huh. I just got him to spell McLean right. I think I will wait a bit on that.

:-D
Raphael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd, as I mentioned in my first post, my monitor is 22' wide, the native resolution and the one I use is 1680*1050.
PD7 does automatically use fullscreen mode. This is on my home desktop computer.
And, I tried the program on my Lenovo T60 laptop with external 22 monitor, with exactly the same results. I actually tried it on 3 different monitors, the two wide monitors and also a 20 regular monitor. The shape and size of the monitors does not affect the results.
I think that this is a bug in PD7.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2009 03:00

ynotfish
[Post New]
Oi! Laverie - don't get to cheeky. Eye kin spel as gud as enywon.

Raphael - it really is very easy to put the task bar at the side - and equally easy to put it back at the bottom. I find, with PD, I need more vertical space than horizontal... but - like you - I have a wide screen.

Cheers - Tony

PS I promise I'll spell Valerie krektly next time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2009 03:12

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, I have dual monitors. I've an auto config option on my monitors and it works for me - whichever resolution I chose.

I don't consider this a bug.

Please contact tech support, they may be able to assist you further.

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Dafydd

ynotfish
[Post New]
Raphael -

Are you sure you don't have the PD window maximised? If you click on the "Restore Down/Maximise" button (beside the close X), you'll know.

Mine used to misbehave but it's good now.

Just a thought - Tony
Raphael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Guys,
I do have the PD7 window maximized. But both ways, maximized and not, it shows the same problem.
About moving the taskbar to one side - it then blocks the side of PD7. (the right slider gets blocked aswell as the preview screen).
About contacting support: I did and they have no real answer, and the last post asked me to send a screen copy of the error! I get no error... just inconvenience.
OK, thanks to all. never mind. I will use autohide, and remember to cancel autohide before my wife uses the computer (while I am at work).