Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transition Problems
Nick [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 29, 2009 11:19 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I've searched everywhere for a solution to this problem!

I've PowerDirector 7. I've created a 30 minute movie, with songs playing in almost every part, and I've got fade transitions between the majority of lots of chopped up scenes, with a couple of effects very occasionally.

The problem is, as the fade transition is ending, it 'jerks' from one frame to another, seemingly inexplicably. This looks very poor.

It does it on most of the scenes, but some not. I've tried everything to eliminate various possibilities but nothing seems to be working. Even when playing the clip on its own, at the point it is supposed to come out of the fade, it will still skip. Once the fade is removed, then it plays normally and smoothly.

The 'jerk' also happens when I introduce an effect.

All this happens in both the preview, on a burnt DVD and produced in DivX and MPEG2.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be by any chance? I would be forever in your debt!!

Many Thanks,
Nick
Nick [Avatar]
[Post New]
As an update to this, I think it may be because I added Magic Fix to reduce the shakiness to every clip. So I've removed that from some select clips and burning now to see how they run.

However, surely Magic Fix would be sophisticated enough to transition smoothly between scenes, without a ridiculous 'jump' at the end/beginning of a fade, otherwise what is the point?

Cheers!
Nick
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
What version of PD7?

Jeff
Nick [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm on the trial, but have tried it on a friends who has Ultra, and same problem.

I burnt it and it seems the culprit was the Magic Fix. There seems to be no way to remove the jump transition if you use Magic Fix which is a real shame - as its great for removing the 'home camcorder' effect of shakiness.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Again, what version of PD?

PowerDirector Version build
Open PowerDirector
Select Help > About
Note down the information in the pop up display

Jeff
Nick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi mate,

Sorry - version 7.00.1915
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nick -

An important contributing factor in this is how much "grunt" you PC has - and how capable it is of processing all the effects you've included in your project.

If your PC has modest specs (ie. not all that quick!), this will cause jerkiness.

If the stuttering is occurring in preview mode, but not after burning, just adjust your preview quality.

Cheers -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
To test what Tony is saying, try burning a DVD with the magic fix enabled and play the DVD on a dedicated player. Does the problem go away or persist? A slow PC will go to a craw when playing high quality video or video with many background corrections when played in the editor. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
In Nick's original post he said
All this happens in both the preview, on a burnt DVD and produced in DivX and MPEG2
So I don't think the comments by Tony even apply.

PD7 version 1915 was prior to several PD releases that had major issues with Magic features and transitions. The current version, 3017, still has some issues but a lot better depending how much Magic fix was used. You might update and give it a try. If that did not fix your issues, I've found this two step method alleviates most of the jerky transitioning when Magic Fix is used
1) load clips into the timeline that need "Magic Fix"
2) DO NOT add any transitions, titles, or anything
3) Apply Magic Fix as desired and produce to file with specifications that your final project will use
4) open your final project and import this produced video
5) add to timeline and apply transitions and all the fluff stuff and create your final project

When viewed on DVD or played on PC the jerky motion in transitions is vastly improved.

Jeff

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jul 29. 2009 18:49

Nick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello,

I have a very good PC and the Magic Fix issues still persist on a dedicated DVD player I'm afraid.

Jeff - what you are saying makes a lot of sense... Magic Fix and Transitions work great, just not together at the moment.

Therefore split the problem.

Brilliant - thanks for your and everyone's help - what a fantastic forum!

Nick
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Everyone,

Though my chiming in here is completely unneccessary , I just wanted to comment on the fact that JL's excellent solution once again demonstrates the virtues of incorporating the concept of "pre-production" into one's arsenal of options when building a project.
Though it is a subject that in my opinion is under disscussed here on the forum, it can make all the difference in overcoming editing obstacles, as well as greatly enhancing the quality of one's production, simply by virtue of the fact that it can significantly expand one's options.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips