Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HD DVD playback (Xbox 360 HD-DVD and Windows XP MCE)
Dion [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2007 12:59 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all:

OK, this is a strange one but hopefully a FAQ, so hopefully someone can help.

I bought the XBox 360 HD-DVD player, and my cousin told me there are drivers so I searched the web, and sure enough found them. I also bought what appears to be the only decoder, Power DVD Ultra. This all happened fairly recently, so versioning shouldn't be an issue.

BUT - Even though my receipt and online and everything else said I bought Ultra, when I put in the CD-Key it said I got Deluxe. The main screen says I have the Blue Ray version, but about says I have v7.2 Ultra.

In any case, it's not playing my HD-DVD's.

Sounds to me like something's messed up, but I don't know how to fix it. That's my #1 question... Am I running the right stuff? If not, how do I fix it?

#2, ultimately I'd like to watch HD-DVD's using my media center interface. For that, I bought the HD MCE-plugin... Can someone tell me if that was necessary? I did so, thinking that PowerDVD alone doesn't provide a decoder for media player.

Thanks everyone...

Dion
paul [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2007 01:32 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am having precisely the same problem, so if anyone at cyberlink has a solution we would greatly appreciate the answer. playing bluray and hd dvd is why i just spent the $99.
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2007 20:36 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I learned the same thing the hard way as well. Apparently it is ok to mis-represent your product these days. I too bought the program for both HD-DVD and BLU. If there is no HD-DVD drive present at the time you install, It only enables Blu-ray playback. If you do have a HD-dvd drive present during install, it only enables HD-DVD playback (which only half works on several machines. Tech support is no help, and basically said "we might fix it." I am having other strange issues with this as well, which I will create seperate posts.
Dion [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2007 12:59 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Tech support was reasonably helpful. I did re-install the software (even before I got their response) and sure enough the HD-DVD support appeared. Tech support said that they are doing a fix that will support both types concurrently, so stay tuned. To me Sony is evil, so I have no plans whatsoever to get a Blu-Ray device.

That said, looking for an opinion. The HD-DVD advisor says I'm lacking on memory (512MB) and video card (X300 not known to work). And sure enough, I'm not able to play HD-DVDs. With the same configuration I can watch HDTV and do all kinds of other things with my media center. Any guesses on whether upgrading my memory or upgrading my video card may make this work? I'd rather not do two upgrades at this time if I can help it.

Thanks,

Dion