Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
my experience on latest PD7 build 3017
Alextzi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2009 15:17 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
Having used the new build for a few hours to make a new movie of mixed content (pictures, AVCHD video, Standard Def Video), here are my observations:

The good:

1) Magic Motion is fixed
2) I did not experience any fatal program crashes on windows Vista 64
3) multi trim and trim worked much better. Before, the program would get hung and you would experience long delays. It is 80% better now (still a little bizarre behavior)
4) Moving content around the timeline is much faster
5) It seems like SVRT is done more to make sure that only content that needs to be re-rendered is re-rendered, but see below on the renderer.

The not so good:
1) AVCHD is still limited to 14800 kbps
2) The renderer is still the same as before. When I render AVCHD I still get some interlacing artifacts (even though my video is progressive!)
3) My workaround is this: I find that if I import my produced video into the latest version of Nero9 and re-render, a lot of artifacts are gone. Nero sucks for video editing for the most part, but I find its HD renderer excellent (although it has no GPU acceleration).
4) GPU acceleration runs (ie. it doesn't crash), but it creates a ton of artifacts (either its PD7 or ATI's fault, I have two ATI Radeon 4870 cards in crossfire on an i7 920 system with 12GB). If only I could get GPU acceleration to produce decent video, since with GPU acceleration is a 2x speedup for me over my quad core system alone).
5) The system does not take advantage of 64 bit operating systems, as I have 12GB of RAM, and when full rendering, PD7 takes up a max of only about 2.5-3.0GB. Also, it is supposed to be i7 core optimized, but I usually see only about 50-60% cpu utilization across the cores

So, in summary, the program is a ton more stable now, but still suffers some of the video quality issues from before.

I wonder when PD8 will be released?

Alex
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Alex, I agree with everything you stated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 26. 2009 17:15

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
[Post New]
From my perspective

1. SVRT for Panasonic AVCHD still doesn't work
2. SVRT for canon AVCHD still only works until the first transition point then all other video is rendered from then on (ie no change)
3. AVCHD render hasn't improved - still same artifact introduction (ie no change)
4. Magic fix still produces weird artifacting making it useless for my set up (ie no change)

I can't comment on stability yet.

No enhancements for me I'm afraid.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
How do I update my build 2726 to build 3017?

I go to the upgrade button then to update but the box is empty.

Thanks

Robert S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
From the CL site

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

Jeff
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks JL, it is a shame they do not have it linked to the program itself. I am sure there are thousands of people like me that didn't even know there was an update to the program.

I also agree with regards to i7 cpu mine also only uses max 50% of my 920. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn