Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
856 x 480 in Screen Recorder 3
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
Updated

So, I don't know if this is a problem. (Apparently not, since my recorded videos play okay on the HDTV.) But it's different from SC 2 (?) that ships with PD 15. So I report it here.

I set a "custom" recording size of the screen to 1280 x 720 and record a movie off my web browser. I tell SC 3 to set the output file for 480p.

In old SC, that gave me an mp4 file with the reported dimensions of 720 x 480.

In new SC 3, it gives me 856 x 480.

I read on the web that this is reflecting square pixels.

<strikeout>Nevertheless, IIRC, I can use my old SVRT 720 x 480 profile to edit the video in PD 15. (Am recording as I write this on my tablet and can't interrupt my Desktop computer to confirm.)</strikeout>

I cannot use SVRT with this dimension. It forces me to use Hardware encoding, which takes 12 minutes on an 1.5 hour movie. (As opposed to a minute and a half with SVRT on the same movie.)

What do you experts think?

Also, I am getting much lower reported BW's in SC 3 files than I ever got with SC 2. That's even with the BW set to "High" in SC 3.

Given that these are old B/W movies with not much action, maybe SC 3 is more adaptive about BW needed.

One definite positive report: when SC 3 stops recording, the output file is available instantly. Whereas with old SC, old SC would have to "think" about the file for a minute or two (literaaly a minute or two) before the file was finished being written to.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 15. 2018 20:13

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi pmikep -

I've run a few side-by-side tests too, since installing Screen Recorder 3.

The difference in video bitrate does depend what you're recording. In my tests I used both SR2 & SR3 to capture:

1. a video with two animated characters talking

2. a high action game trailer

In test 1 (animated characters) SR2 renedered at ~6Mbps & SR3 was ~8Mbps.
In test 2 (action game trailer) SR2 yielded ~7.5Mbps & SR3 was ~8Mbps

So, for my tests at least, there wasn't a huge difference. I won't muddy the waters by mentioning the VBR of Camtasia recordings, but they did vary depending on the content.

I've never experienced any delay in generating the capture video with any versions of CL Screen Recorder. Different systems I guess.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

856x480 is correct, as it is a 16:9 resolution (quite close), same as the original 1280x720. 720x480 is a 16x10.6 resolution. That doesn't seem right.

Does BW stand for bandwidth? You are talking about the video's bitrate? If yes, what is your Bitrate setting in Video settings. You can better control the bitrate of the outputted file now in Screen Recorder 3 in settings.

David
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies.

On SC 2 taking a long time to finalize the file - that only happens when I record 1 hour plus videos. For short test videos, the output file is ready in near real time.

On 856 being okay: Well, then I'm confused why SC 2 gave me 720. And why PD 15 won't do SVRT with 856.

I thought it might have something to do with anamorphic pixels.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi pmikep -

Your initial observations comparing SR15 & SR3 are right.

SR15/16 render at 720x480, where SR3 renders at 856x480. Both are 16:9. 720x480 is SD DVD resolution (NTSC) & the pixels are not square (1:1), so what you read before is correct.

With video output set to 720x480 in SR15 & 16, & 480p in SR3, I recorded the same screen - playback of the game trailer. MediaInfo reports of each (side-by-side) are attached.

Notice how similar the recorded bitrates are? In SR3, setting the video output to 1080p yields a VBR of 10+Mbps rather than 3!

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - SR Media Info.png]
 Filename
SR Media Info.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!