Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Instead of PNG files, can I bring shapes into PowerDirector through clipboard?
[Post New]
In Microsoft Office PowerPoint we have many nice shapes (including arrows and callouts) that are very suitable for creating educational videos.

I understand that I can put them in a PNG file and bring them into PD but that is a long and tedious workflow.

Is there any way to quickly copy/paste from Office shapes (or any transparent background image) to PD16 timeline?

Thank you,

Anna
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
No, Anna, I don't think you can copy/paste from Office in to PD - or most video editors I should think.
Anna; I have been making educational videos for many years.
I find using png files is not at all a tideous workflow. I have some folders where I have stored png assets over the
years and I can quickly find and import them.
I wonder; are your videos for students? Collegues?
Or do you have pehaps a channel you wish to promote as an "edu-channel"?

Have you had a look at Office Mix?
You could then use PowerPoint.

Cheers
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I know Nina is right, but here's a nifty trick that might help out in building up a collection of office based shapes, SmartArt etc.

Insert your shapes into a blank excel workbook, save as and choose webpage, follow the dialog boxes to suit your choice of location etc. and eventually you will find all your shapes as .pngs in a folder within your chosen location.

I haven't explored the limits etc of this technique but it seems to work quite well.

Might be of some use??

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
Quote No, Anna, I don't think you can copy/paste from Office in to PD - or most video editors I should think.
Anna; I have been making educational videos for many years.
I find using png files is not at all a tideous workflow. I have some folders where I have stored png assets over the
years and I can quickly find and import them.
I wonder; are your videos for students? Collegues?
Or do you have pehaps a channel you wish to promote as an "edu-channel"?

Have you had a look at Office Mix?
You could then use PowerPoint.

Cheers

Thank you for help.

Office Mix is a neat idea. My videos must be viewable in Youtube.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Anna, Nina & Adrian -

Lately, I've had more of a need for this sort of thing (helping uni students), so your posts have helped me out.

Nina - I've never used Office Mix but I'll check it out.

Adrian - I'd be too embarrassed to describe the steps I take to get Smart Art from Word into PDR. It's way more roundabout than your "Save As" suggestion, even though it works adequately. I'll give that a look-see. Thanks.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!