Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Missing footage and music tracks overnight.
Bill5350 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: London, UK Joined: Nov 30, 2016 00:45 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using PowerDirector for about 6 weeks with a good powerful desktop PC running Windows 10 with plenty of memory.

My first project is a 2-hour compilation video of pieces of 8mm cine film via VHS videotapes, converted to DVDs. So I've been assemble editing these DVD clips onto the timeline and adding captions plus voice-over commentary using a mic, and lots of 2-4 minute music clips.

All went well - I produced and burned DVDs of the compilations right after finishing the editing; some are 20-odd minutes some are 30 or more. They're broken down to separate subjects each one a separate project, some with different clips, contents and changes in editing styles. There are now over thirty similar projects all of this type, all under 60 minutes all sitting in the contents area called My Projects, ready to produce some final edits for the client.

But over the last few days I was shocked to see that many of these projects are missing large amounts of video clips and music clips too. There are now long stretches of black where moving images should be. It all is quite random with music clips missing below sections where video clips exist, and video frames in place where the music below them has gone. Backup versions stored in other folders are similarly affected. Two days ago I finished a 30-minute piece and made 2 backups stored in different folders. The next morning on turning on the computer I found more than half of the contents vanished in the same way in 2 of the 3 files with one of the backups still ok, fortunately. But other older files are affected beyond a quick repair and will need a lot of re-assembly work. The voice-over clips on the voice track are all in place and ok as are the captions along the caption track. Only 2 projects have a voice track so it's hard to say if this pattern will continue or if future voice track portions will also disappear. It's just the video and music tracks that are full of holes. Nothing that's left is out of sequence and the project is still the same length. Eack track plays back video where there is video to play (with long black gaps), and the same for the music. In storyboard mode the missing video clips are shown as plain black boxes as would be expected.

This all represents many days of wasted time and is more than just annoying. I've never heard of anything like this before and am dreading to even open the program today fearing even greater file destruction.

Nobody else has used the computer - this is a single person household. It's on a home only network of three PCs with nobody having access from outside.

Any ideas please anyone, before I approach customer support? (or start cutting my wrists).

Bill5350 Bill-5350
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Keep in mind, when you create a PD project it does not move or copy any of the input files you load to the media library and use in the timeline. PD is expecting these files to be in the exact same location as they were when you imported them to the media library.

Your situations sounds like:
1) You moved at least some of the source files
2) Source files were on a media drive which is no longer available
3) Source files were on a media device that windows has changed the drive letter on, like a D: to E: or the like

Jeff
Bill5350 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Keep in mind, when you create a PD project it does not move or copy any of the input files you load to the media library and use in the timeline. PD is expecting these files to be in the exact same location as they were when you imported them to the media library.

Your situations sounds like:
1) You moved at least some of the source files
2) Source files were on a media drive which is no longer available
3) Source files were on a media device that windows has changed the drive letter on, like a D: to E: or the like

Jeff

To Jeff,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I understand your clear explanation. I'm aware of the principle of the timeline not being filled with actual files and that it's just a virtual image - I guessed that much when looking at the tiny file size of a complete project.

Regarding moving files; all the source files are where they have been for weeks, unmoved and on drive C. If you mean by media drives, what I think of as memory sticks or standalone outside hard drives, then I don't use those. No files have been moved and no drive letters altered.

Also I mentioned having made 2 copies of the same project within about 2 minutes plus the saved first version, and when I checked the next day the first and second versions were damaged but the third one (or second backup) was perfect - if files were moved then all three wouldn't load properly. How come one's perfect and two are corrupted?

Also nearly every project I load up, whether corrupted or not starts with an error message saying "files moved or missing - ignore or proceed?" or some similar wording, and I ignore this and open the file and the project is perfect with no faults.

And this morning, Sunday, I opened a project I'd re-assembled (again) the day before, which ran 25 minutes, from unmoved files still on drive C, showing in the details log as running only 3 and a bit minutes, and it wouldn't open, and an error message read: FILE BROKEN. In despair I then went to the identical project backup file saved on the Desktop, also on drive C, and that opened perfectly quickly without hesitation displaying no faults. As it should do. I'm now going to burn a DVD of that, plus make other copies, before doing anything else so at least there will be something left of part of this process. It seems DVDs from top brands are permanent.

I like the program and its many features but I feel very insecure in leaving any job in its care, even overnight, so to speak.

Thanks again for your kind attention. Any other suggestions will be gratefully received.

Bill. Bill-5350
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Also nearly every project I load up, whether corrupted or not starts with an error message saying "files moved or missing - ignore or proceed?" or some similar wording, and I ignore this and open the file and the project is perfect with no faults.

Clearly a sign that PD thinks some files in your project are no longer accessible, instead of moved, it could be permissions as well.

What are the predominate paths to video files you are using and the path of saved pds file?

Your situation surely is not the norm. Why don't you try this and at least see if opening and closing a project is stable and that the files moved message does not appear when loading project
1) Create a folder in your documents area of C:, so for instance C:\Users\YOU\Documents\TestPD
2) copy several source files to this location, C:\Users\YOU\Documents\TestPD\
3) start a PD project, remove all the content from the media library and import your source files from C:\Users\YOU\Documents\TestPD\
4) create some simple project with media library content
5) save pds project and save it to C:\Users\YOU\Documents\TestPD\

Jeff
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I concur with Jeff's opinion. The symptoms certainly suggest PD cannot find/access some of your project assets.

If you want to troubleshoot a bit further the following might be of use.

All file paths and locations are hard coded in the .pds file.

The .pds file can be examined with a plain text editor such as Notepad.

Scrolling through (or using find) you will be able to see the code area where the file locations are specified. See attached example.

In this case, the standard library sample files have been loaded into the media library and another file "pip example.mp4".

You can see a couple of the the file paths highlighted.

So, you could open a copy of one of your broken project .pds files (use a copy to play with not the original) and find the file paths specified in the .pds file. You can then check if these paths are indeed correct, or actually are they corrupted or incorrect.

It might help narrow down the problem?

Cheers

Adrian
[Thumb - Example pds txt file snip.PNG]
 Filename
Example pds txt file snip.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
117 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
50 time(s)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
This helped me with my problem as well

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 04. 2017 11:07

Dell Precision M4700 i7-3840QM 2.80 GHz
16gb ram , NVIDIA Quadro K2000M GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 1tb SSD , 500 gb HDD ,

MickeyAnn [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ohio Joined: May 30, 2017 13:36 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD 15 and windows 10. HELP! I am having basically the same problem. Last Oct. of 2016, I started a slideshow....ALL photos. I've been working on it all this time, and there are over 900 photos and over these last months, I've saved it 26 times and it has worked perfectly and now.....overnight.........they will not open!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! Nothing has changed on my computer ....so what is going on? I also have two very small slideshows with photos that have less than twenty photos each and the SAME thing is happening. I get this message on ALL of my saved .pds files:

Cybelink Power Director cannot open this media file because it was moved or is missing. Check that it's available and then try again....

so, then it shows one of my music files. I click IGNORE and then the next music file pops up, until all the music files.......(28 of them) show up and I have to click IGNORE on each one or...... I could chosse to click

IGNORE ALL.

Then, my show comes up on my full feature editor........but ALL the music is gone from the music line and all the places where I had photos...they are all solid black! I swear that I have not changed anything and all of these saved .pds files worked fine until now. Months of work seem to be lost.
MickeyAnn [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have solved my own problem and hope this will help someone else. As I mentioned before, I get the message:

Cybelink Power Director cannot open this media file because it was moved or is missing. Check that it's available and

then try again....

then, as I said, I get the IGNORE tabs. I failed to mention, there are 3 tabs.

1. Browse 2. Ignore 3. Ignore ALL So I clicked the Browse tab. Then a pop up came up with the specified file....a song/mp3.....and the program was looking for it in Documents.....I HAVE NO IDEA WHY!!!.....so I located the folder that this song was in and has been in for the last 8 months, and I clicked OPEN.......where upon the PD15 immediately switched back to the edit program and it showed another music file that it couldn't open, so I clicked Browse again, then got the pop up and repeated my previous moves and this went on and on for all 28 songs. When PD15 had located all the songs,the heavens opened and after a bit of waiting, my slideshow FINALLY OPENED. I am so happy and I hope this makes sense. This must be a glitch in PD15, and how should I refer this on to someone that can fix this problem? I see there are 3 people, including myself,....see above emails....that have had this problem. Thanks to the nice people on here that gave me the idea to try this out, and I still will never figure out, if my music files were NEVER moved, why in the heck did PowerDirector 15 get all CONFUSED?? Crazy! Yes, I had NO music, all lines were blank, like they were never there, and the lines with all my photos, had the white outline of something but the inside of the lines, it was all black and no pics of course. Thanks again. Mickey

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
More than likely those assets were on an external drive or your internal drive can be going bad and dead soon.
Bill5350 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have solved my own problem and hope this will help someone else. As I mentioned before, I get the message:

Cybelink Power Director cannot open this media file because it was moved or is missing. Check that it's available and

then try again....

then, as I said, I get the IGNORE tabs. I failed to mention, there are 3 tabs.

1. Browse 2. Ignore 3. Ignore ALL So I clicked the Browse tab. Then a pop up came up with the specified file....a song/mp3.....and the program was looking for it in Documents.....I HAVE NO IDEA WHY!!!.....so I located the folder that this song was in and has been in for the last 8 months, and I clicked OPEN.......where upon the PD15 immediately switched back to the edit program and it showed another music file that it couldn't open, so I clicked Browse again, then got the pop up and repeated my previous moves and this went on and on for all 28 songs. When PD15 had located all the songs,the heavens opened and after a bit of waiting, my slideshow FINALLY OPENED. I am so happy and I hope this makes sense. This must be a glitch in PD15, and how should I refer this on to someone that can fix this problem? I see there are 3 people, including myself,....see above emails....that have had this problem. Thanks to the nice people on here that gave me the idea to try this out, and I still will never figure out, if my music files were NEVER moved, why in the heck did PowerDirector 15 get all CONFUSED?? Crazy! Yes, I had NO music, all lines were blank, like they were never there, and the lines with all my photos, had the white outline of something but the inside of the lines, it was all black and no pics of course. Thanks again. Mickey

[/quotePostId

To MickeyAnn:

I still haven't found out why whole sections of video disappeared but regarding saving your projects I'd strongly advise not just using the save command which results in a very small file which to me seems unstable, but use the PACK PROJECT MATERIALS command under the File menu. This produces a full file with all elements and is of a much larger size, but I've found that it's stable and has always (so far) brought back the project in a complete state. It only gets about a 1 or 2 line mention in the user manual - blink and you'll miss it - but to me it seems vital to use it as a safeguard for any project if you are experiencing unreliable saves of the smaller virtual files. Try a test first with something unimportant.

Good luck.

Bill.
MickeyAnn [Avatar]
[Post New]
THANKS SO much!!! I appreciate your help. MickeyAnn