Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AAC Audio Quality Improvement
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Members,

There is a hotfix for AAC audio now available.

How to implement the hot-fix:

Download the hot-fix CLAudEnc.zip via the links below:

32bit OS:

64bit OS:

Extract the ZIP file to get the module CLAudEnc.ax

Browse the folder C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector15\runtime\encoderPack in your PC.

Rename the file CLAudEnc.ax in the folder C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector15\runtime\encoderPack as the backup.

Copy the downloaded CLAudEnc.ax to the same folder.

Launch PowerDirector 15 and produce a H.264 MP4 video or other video containers which contain AAC audio.

Please Note:

AAC is a compressed audio format and it is expected there would still be quality lost if comparing with lossless audio formats or PCM.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 13. 2017 20:31

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
StephenJondrew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 06, 2016 20:33 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I just did a head to head comparison and it's nice to finally see this resolved. I've been exporting MKV and handbraking for a long time due to this problem. I must admit that the audio still sounds better going through the handbreak process, but it is at least tolerable now for my purposes. Thanks for getting it fixed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2017 00:11

RickMcKC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2014 15:27 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Thrilled to see this. Can't wait to test it out. Thanks for listening and fixing an otherwise fantastic product.
Inchiquin68 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 01, 2016 11:21 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Is this fix intended to work with PD14 as well?

Alan
deldridg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2011 23:41 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Members,

Please Note:

AAC is a compressed audio format and it is expected there would still be quality lost if comparing with lossless audio formats or PCM.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

Wow - what a difference. Not perfect (it is lossy after all) but a substantial improvement and thank you.

I'm experimenting with PD15 to create some piano works for YouTube, sourcing the piano audio from some significant sample libraries and was horrified at the awful job the original AAC algorithms did to my hard music production work. This has restored my faith somewhat - hopefully it can be further improved but most of the mud appears to be gone and I will be able to sleep again!

Many thanks from Sydney, Oz - David PD 15, Cubase 9
startravel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 10, 2017 20:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Members,

How to implement the hot-fix:

Download the hot-fix CLAudEnc.zip via the links below:

32bit OS:

64bit OS:

Extract the ZIP file to get the module CLAudEnc.ax

Browse the folder C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector15\runtime\encoderPack in your PC.

Rename the file CLAudEnc.ax in the folder C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector15\runtime\encoderPack as the backup.

Copy the downloaded CLAudEnc.ax to the same folder.

Launch PowerDirector 15 and produce a H.264 MP4 video or other video containers which contain AAC audio.

Please Note:

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

Still sounds TERRIBLE! - Clips and distorts on video produced under 40Mbps. Under 40Mbps PD converts audio to 133kbps/48kHz. I get that AAC is a compressed format but this audio should not clip or distort. If you produce @ 40Mbps or higher PD converts your audio to 386kbps/48kHz. - These videos sound a little muddy but at least they don't clip/distort. Audio is Very Important! Don't care about the 360, get rid of it for all I care, but make the audio amazing. - Please.
BrianKoz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2017 19:03 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Does the audio fix apply to Powerdirector 14?
Will it decrease quality loss when importing a wav file to a project?

Thanks
BrianKoz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2017 19:03 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just did a head to head comparison and it's nice to finally see this resolved. I've been exporting MKV and handbraking for a long time due to this problem. I must admit that the audio still sounds better going through the handbreak process, but it is at least tolerable now for my purposes. Thanks for getting it fixed.

What is "handbreaking"? and how is it done?

I'm looking for highest quality sound (with a video of 1 still image) that I can get.

Thanks
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just did a head to head comparison and it's nice to finally see this resolved. I've been exporting MKV and handbraking for a long time due to this problem. I must admit that the audio still sounds better going through the handbreak process, but it is at least tolerable now for my purposes. Thanks for getting it fixed.

What is "handbreaking"? and how is it done?
I'm looking for highest quality sound (with a video of 1 still image) that I can get.
Thanks
Handbrake is a converting utility that many members use here. Handbrake HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Zandebar [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Jan 03, 2010 06:23 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Is this fix still needed for PowerDirector 16?
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is this fix still needed for PowerDirector 16?

Hi,

The hotfix is only applicable to PD15.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do