Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is PD14 forced to use Nvidia card when using i7-5820K (no iGPU)
LouisV [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 10, 2013 18:43 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
Hello

Like so many of us, I too have problems using Nvidia with PD14. I use a laptop Asus i7-3630qm with NVidia 635m and 12GB ram. It does simple jobs very well with the HD4000. My desktop i5/Radeon is better but too noisy. I know the Kepler-story...I am considering a new desktop with silent components. My only concern is that a decent Nvidia will create the same problems and that i will have to fall back on the iGPU.

My question is: when i purchase an i7-5820K (cpu without iGPU), will PD14 be forced to use the Nvidia or will it fall back on the basic Windows-driver in case NVidia causes problems again?

I know many systems work perfectly with Nvidia, others don't, so I am especially interested in a technical answer, not a personal opinion (which i naturely like to hear) based on experience.It is the "forced" question that interests me.

ThxLouis (Belgium)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello

Like so many of us, I too have problems using Nvidia with PD14. I use a laptop Asus i7-3630qm with NVidia 635m and 12GB ram. It does simple jobs very well with the HD4000. My desktop i5/Radeon is better but too noisy. I know the Kepler-story...I am considering a new desktop with silent components. My only concern is that a decent Nvidia will create the same problems and that i will have to fall back on the iGPU.

My question is: when i purchase an i7-5820K (cpu without iGPU), will PD14 be forced to use the Nvidia or will it fall back on the basic Windows-driver in case NVidia causes problems again?

I know many systems work perfectly with Nvidia, others don't, so I am especially interested in a technical answer, not a personal opinion (which i naturely like to hear) based on experience.It is the "forced" question that interests me.

ThxLouis (Belgium)

LouisV, personal opinion coming, I'm really lacking your intent here, what Nvidia concern do you think you can't avoid with Nvidia drivers hence the desire for Windows VGA drivers on your desktop? You will still have the GPU fan noise (35-45db) which violates your "silent" criteria. I guess you could buy one of the fanless GPU's that are left on the market, some variants of the Nvidia GT710. If you are doing all this for this "silent" criteria why don't you just get a CPU with a iGPU since you are already accepting the CPU fan noise?

Technical answer, yes you can, you are not forced to use the Nvidia drivers, you can always use basic Windows VGA drivers. You will essentially get the display and features shown in the attached pic. Also some NB features won’t work as they require a GPU. You do need to also configure windows correctly to not scan for display hardware changes or Windows will want to install appropriate drivers at each boot. You can do all this with your i5/Radeon box too as your own test.

Personally, I'd never take this route, but again that's my opinion.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_VGA.png]
 Filename
PD14_VGA.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
641 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
77 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 23. 2016 14:09

LouisV [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello

ThxLouis (Belgium)

LouisV, personal opinion coming, I'm really lacking your intent here, what Nvidia concern do you think you can't avoid with Nvidia drivers hence the desire for Windows VGA drivers on your desktop? You will still have the GPU fan noise (35-45db) which violates your "silent" criteria. I guess you could buy one of the fanless GPU's that are left on the market, some variants of the Nvidia GT710. If you are doing all this for this "silent" criteria why don't you just get a CPU with a iGPU since you are already accepting the CPU fan noise?

Technical answer, yes you can, you are not forced to use the Nvidia drivers, you can always use basic Windows VGA drivers. You will essentially get the display and features shown in the attached pic. Also some NB features won’t work as they require a GPU. You do need to also configure windows correctly to not scan for display hardware changes or Windows will want to install appropriate drivers at each boot. You can do all this with your i5/Radeon box too as your own test.

Personally, I'd never take this route, but again that's my opinion.

Jeff

Jeff, I'll try to explain my problem more clearly.

1. I do want to use Nvidia by all means.

2. I use now an i5 destop with AMD GPU. Too noisy for my tinnitus problem, so I use a laptop i7/Nvidia GT635M. With updated NVidia drivers, I can't use PD14. I have to use a 3 year old driver to select NVidia. As my iGPU HD4000 does the rendering job quicker than NVidia, this is not a problem.

3. I want more speed, so I am selecting components for a new desktop. Silent case, super silent cooler, super silent powerunit..all these things cost a lot more. With a NVidia 10xx card, I now am over 2,500 USD (for me Euro). Our prices in Belgium are 25 % up compared to US prices. Why am i telling this? I am afraid that,once I have this desktop, PD14 will still refuse to use the NVidia card. I have read practically all the topics NVidia-PD and I feel that it is more than just a driver issue when one is unlucky to have that problem. PD says it is a NVidia problem and vice versa.

4. Suppose i have bad luck and my expensive Nvidia card won't work with PD. I have then a very expensive useless system and in that case I had better bought a decent laptop with a i7-6700hq and use the iGPU.

5. Therefore I thought: what would happen if I bought a i7-5820K that has no internal GPU. In that case, Nvidia can't choose (in the contolpanel) which GPU it will use, because there is only one GPU present in the system. So I suppose the Nvidia card will be forced to be used.

6. I am not sure if what I stated in point 5 is correct. That's why I am hoping that you or someone else can tell me if my supposition is correct. Could it be possible that even with the 5820K the NVidia card won't work and the system will fall back on the Windows video system driver?

7. There is too much money involved to take the risk of bying a 500-600 dollar Nvidia 10xx card. Neither Cyberlink nor NVidia have been able to convince me that, in case of a PD-Nvidia problem, the solution is a correct driver issue. Both sides are apparently reluctant to join forces to solve this problem once and for all.

8. Should I choose for AMD? They are playing in another league, but it would definitely solve the problem.

9. I know there are a lot of 'if's'. Could as well be that I am lucky and that everything works fine from day one. It's just that I would like to be confirmed if my thinking in points 5 and 6 are correct.

10. Grz -- LouisV (Belgium)

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
LouisV,

Lots of points, not too many real questions that I might try to address. Basically it sounds like you are confusing how integrated laptop display graphics vs desktop graphics work (item 3, 4, 5, 6). There is not a software switching approach like Nvidia Optimus Technology (laptop) on a desktop. The major functionality of that technology is to extend battery life by only using appropriate display which is not pertinent for desktops. The GPU and/or iGPU is essentially controlled in the BIOS on a desktop if you want to only use one or the other. Yes both can be functional (drive a monitor off either or both). Many laptop suppliers also offer ability to turn off iGPU on many models (but not all) and only use discrete GPU via BIOS as well. Dell laptops rather compliant with the feature, ASUS ROG typically not so compliant so what one buys does make a difference with how you intend to use.

No I would not recommend nor suggest any AMD GPU with PD.

Depends what you mean by "more speed" in item 3. More than likely the best CPU on your budget will provide the best overall editing speed benefit in PD. However, if by speed you only mean encoding speed, then depending on budget some 900 or 10 series GeForce would be a significant advantage over most CPU’s and software encoding with PD. Although with hardware encoding comes some encoding anomalies with PD, most of these are predominately in the Create Disc area. Since you’ve read practically all the topics NVidia-PD I’m sure you are well versed in these issues.

I’ve not experienced a issue with any desktop Nvidia GPU and driver with PD that a correction was to resort to the Windows VGA driver, maybe someone else has that experience and can share with you. I say that based on my use of many Nvidia GPU’s (GeForce 8800, 9800, 210, 470, 580, 650, 750Ti, 960, 970, 1070, Quadro 2000, K620, K6000) to name a few.

Good luck on your new platform.

Jeff
LouisV [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote LouisV,

Lots of points, not too many real questions that I might try to address. Basically it sounds like you are confusing how integrated laptop display graphics vs desktop graphics work (item 3, 4, 5, 6). There is not a software switching approach like Nvidia Optimus Technology (laptop) on a desktop. The major functionality of that technology is to extend battery life by only using appropriate display which is not pertinent for desktops. The GPU and/or iGPU is essentially controlled in the BIOS on a desktop if you want to only use one or the other. Yes both can be functional (drive a monitor off either or both). Many laptop suppliers also offer ability to turn off iGPU on many models (but not all) and only use discrete GPU via BIOS as well. Dell laptops rather compliant with the feature, ASUS ROG typically not so compliant so what one buys does make a difference with how you intend to use.

No I would not recommend nor suggest any AMD GPU with PD.

Depends what you mean by "more speed" in item 3. More than likely the best CPU on your budget will provide the best overall editing speed benefit in PD. However, if by speed you only mean encoding speed, then depending on budget some 900 or 10 series GeForce would be a significant advantage over most CPU’s and software encoding with PD. Although with hardware encoding comes some encoding anomalies with PD, most of these are predominately in the Create Disc area. Since you’ve read practically all the topics NVidia-PD I’m sure you are well versed in these issues.

I’ve not experienced a issue with any desktop Nvidia GPU and driver with PD that a correction was to resort to the Windows VGA driver, maybe someone else has that experience and can share with you. I say that based on my use of many Nvidia GPU’s (GeForce 8800, 9800, 210, 470, 580, 650, 750Ti, 960, 970, 1070, Quadro 2000, K620, K6000) to name a few.

Good luck on your new platform.

Jeff

Jeff, thank you for your time and very good advice. I will rely on your excellent experience regarding different types of Nvidia cards and I will go for it.

LouisV (Belgium)