Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
upgrading- do I need to first uninstall old version?
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Going from 13 to 14- do I need to uninstall 13 first or is the install for 14 smart enough to do that for me?

Joe

PS: I'm tempted do upgrade to get the screen capture feature
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
No need to uninstal PD13 first.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I decided to upgrade for exactly the same reason.

In the past, the upgrade installers left the previous versions in place but on this occasion, after installation was complete, PD13 had disappeared.It didn't worry me.

I keep all my projects (audio and video assets, intermediate renders and final output) in a separate folder for each one. I also have each folder backed up to an external drive.
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Longedge- I like your aging photo!

I have since found out that there are many free video screen capture programs out there- so I may hold out until I try those and see what other new features are in 14.

Glad to know the upgrade is hassle free.
Joe
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
instead of purchasing an upgrade I bought a heavily discounted version of PD 14. This allows me to install my old PD12 on one computer and PD 14 on another. Just a thought. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I wonder how well the video screen capture feature compares to similar commercial or free products?
Joe
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can't help there. I haven't done any comparison and it's a long time ago since I last installed a different screen recorder. All I can say is that on my system it just does 'what it says on the tin'. I do recall another thread recently where someone was recording gameplay and found it had too much impact to allow the game to be played satisfactorily.

I haven't had a problem and when I've used it I've been satisfied.
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Longedge, your morphing image reminds me oh so much of some days back in the '60s.

I often use the MS snipping tool which allows capturing the entire screen, just a window, or a chosen rubber banded area. Does this new feature have those options?
Joe
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Longedge, your morphing image reminds me oh so much of some days back in the '60s

Yes spot on - about 69 up to late last year (in my mind I'm still the 23yr old version laughing )

To be honest the capture tool is pretty limited in terms of defining an area, it's rectangular either screen, window or defined area on the screen but that's enough for me. It has good options in the settings for output formats and audio capture to e.g. capture voice overs. Like most things I buy, I've never used or investigated all of the options.

I was on PD 13 and wavering about upgrading. I eased my conscience about spending the money by saying that I was getting a solid screen capture tool which I wanted at the time wink
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
JoeZZ99,

PD14 capture tool captures video, whereas (I believe) the MS tool just captures fixed screen shots. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: PD14 capture tool captures video, whereas (I believe) the MS tool just captures fixed screen shots.

Good point Dan and something I should have mentioned. It hasn't failed to record anything that I wanted up to now. I've had problems in the past with other 'freebies' where video overlay would not capture but none so far with this tool.
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
As I looked around- there are several commercial video screen capture programs- some look impressive and offer trial versions. When I finally decide why I really need this feature- then I'll decide what to buy or I'll just upgrade to 14.

In other threads which I just superficially looked at- I see quite a few complaints about 14 but that's normal with most upgrades.
Joe
WillChill58 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Northern Hemisphere Joined: Dec 10, 2012 22:00 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure this is where to post but I'll give it a try and answer questions too. Re: PdirUltra 14. The screen capture software is top notch. It's my favorite now and I've gone through about 10 different paid and free programs this one is the easiest wiht best quality. I didn't know it was going to be included.

Also to upgrade you must have the previous program installed, otherwise it will say it can't upgrade because it can't locate the files to prove it's an upgrade.

So I've been buying cyberlink products since Powerdirector 10 and have purchased upgrades each time. I'm finding the support to be less and less helpful over time. I ended up buying live 14, upgrade pdr ultra 14,and full price powerdirector ultra 14. I have them all mailed to me on disk so I don't have to go on an easter egg hunt here to find the programs and key again.

They literally seem to go out of thier way to make interactions with the site and them and the programs as convoluted and full of hoops as conceivably possible.

I've been used to it and until now have just put up with it. With 14 they can't or won't get it activated. I go through the entire clean install on windows 10. No problems on my end and it trys to activate and in the white box it says contact support and show them that you purchased the product.

Since I purchase all of them from this site I thought that was odd. I gave them my first support call to the installation activation support line. Get this: because it won't activate it becomes my technical problem and oh no they can't transfer me to that department without authorization. So what's the point of having that department. Anyway I've just been using some of the triials and older programs. they ignore when they don't have any solution. I've begged them for new key or a new download in case the software is corrupt and it's impossible. I've never heard of such a thing with a software company won't stand by thier products, particularly from a long time customer. OK, that's the rant. I suppose I'll just have to skip 14. boy what a waste of money.
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Not sure this is where to post

Hmmm... well yes it is if you're on topic but your post runs the risk of hijacking the thread. If you've got your own issues then you ought to start a new thread with a specific problem/question that can be answered by the volunteers here. Don't forget that we are nothing to do with Cyberlink but just users like you smile.
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm glad that WillChill58 spoke favorably about the screen feature having used similar programs. Thanks!

As for his problems with the program- I've been in that situation with other programs- though I realize most people don't have any problems or not much. I like to hear the complaints and if there's a lot of people agreeing, I'll shy away from that program. I expect I'll read the entire board before I upgrade- that's what I usually do.

So I can see that this board is active which is very nice. When they are not- I begin to wonder.

Joe
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi JoeZ99,
Seeing as this thread has started to veer away from your topic and member's have answered you, I think it is time to lock the thread.

Hi WillChill58,
You need to start a new topic. By all means add your rant along with your customer support ticket number and I'll ask CyberLink to investigate and contact you.

Dafydd

Minor edits.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 26. 2016 06:06