Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do you make "smooth" slow motion videos?
PattyP13 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2016 04:23 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to slow down some clips to minimal speeds but it is always choppy. Is there anyway to get smooth slow motion with PD14? I can't seem to find a way to do it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2016 04:34

Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Patty,

Slowing down perhaps five times or more is bound to produce choppy video. Perhaps you could interpolate perfectly to achieve smooth movement but not at the PowerDirector price level. If perfectly continual slow motion video was easy/feasible to render, nobody would need high speed cameras. You would need just two frames to recreate any single linear movemet, one frame at the movement's beginning and one at its end. Be reasonable…

Jirka
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I've shot at 60fps and I understand that slowing down to .10 speed (in PD13 at least) produces a scene that exhibits some 'gitter' - a fluttering of the video appearance.

I've been using a GoPro and I think I can shoot at 120fps but then the resolution is down to 720p. I'll have to try that out and see if the sacrifice in resolution is worth the increased frame rate. Here's hoping the subsequent GoPro cameras get ever increasing frame rates at higher resolutions!

What frame rate is your original video clips? I think the higher the frame rate will result in more of the ability to slow down the speed with less 'gitter'.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2016 07:53

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
[Post New]
Removed

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 09. 2016 06:54

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Prodad, a Cyberlink partner, has a wonderful speed utility. Although it does not plugin to PD, it is very effective as a standalone. Look for ReSpeedr. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
astroASMR [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 20, 2021 07:02 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Patty,

Slowing down perhaps five times or more is bound to produce choppy video. Perhaps you could interpolate perfectly to achieve smooth movement but not at the PowerDirector price level. If perfectly continual slow motion video was easy/feasible to render, nobody would need high speed cameras. You would need just two frames to recreate any single linear movemet, one frame at the movement's beginning and one at its end. Be reasonable…

Jirka

If thats the case then why when googling for the same question as the OP I.e how to make smooth slow motion videos

I got premiere pro youtube video and there's literally special affect add-ons to fix stuttering of slowmo videos eg by clicking "time interpolation" then select affect time "optical flow" it reduced and limited any stuttering. Meaning it IS possible, what you said its like people saying "you need multiple speakers to get surround sound" otherwise anyone can get two speakers only and achieve the surround sound effect. Funnily but Dolby invented Dolby atmos and all you need a stereo headphones
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]

If thats the case then why when googling for the same question as the OP I.e how to make smooth slow motion videos

I got premiere pro youtube video and there's literally special affect add-ons to fix stuttering of slowmo videos eg by clicking "time interpolation" then select affect time "optical flow" it reduced and limited any stuttering. Meaning it IS possible, what you said its like people saying "you need multiple speakers to get surround sound" otherwise anyone can get two speakers only and achieve the surround sound effect. Funnily but Dolby invented Dolby atmos and all you need a stereo headphones

Hey, astroASMR,
Unless we talk specific quantities, we could haggle for hours. Things are relative, for sure. Also, there is technical progress, so if I mentioned five-strong slowdown then (in 2016), the same could apply to slowing videos down ten times now (in 2023). One principle stays though: you get what you pay for. Just don’t ignore my price level remark.
By the way, I stopped updating my PowerDirector at version 15. I simply don’t need more or better features for the money CyberLink have been asking for the product, so I can’t tell what PowerDirector is capable of these days.
Please, don’t mix apples and pears. Since there are two ears only (in an individual), you indeed only need two audio channels to achieve any spatial effects if you know how. Nothing in common with slowing down videos! I recall that, back in the 20th century, some stereo recordings were made using a sort of mannequin head made to mimic a human one to achieve just that: naturally spatial audio tracks. I expect that now businesses involved will claim using artificial intelligence as a transition from smart technologies in their marketing jargon.
Regards…
Jirka

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 28. 2023 11:26

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Many things have changed in later versions of PD like in the 365. If your camera frame rate is high and the shutter speed is high, then 10X slow motion is possible with the audio pitch maintained. The individual frames must be sharp and interpolation technology (generate an in-between frame) is possible for this to work.