Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produced mkv file works badly - not able to fast forward / backward
Isak [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2015 11:31 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I have produced a large .mkv file with h.265 encoding. The finished file works very badly with all video players I can find (VLC, QuickTime etc.). I cannot fast forward or backward in the file and QuickTime and Windows Media Player won't even play it. I have tried to install additional codec packs but it does not work.

How can I produce a file that works?
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome to the forum.

Quote:

i don't know. have you tried different containers???

why don't you attach at least 10 seconds worth source video so that forum users can duplicate

your pain.

if not at least Part B -> http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45453.page

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21. 2016 00:14

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have produced a large .mkv file with h.265 encoding. The finished file works very badly with all video players I can find (VLC, QuickTime etc.). I cannot fast forward or backward in the file and QuickTime and Windows Media Player won't even play it. I have tried to install additional codec packs but it does not work.

Have you tried the H.264 AVC instead of H.265 HEVC. H.264 AVC is the more common video format. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
I think maybe I can contribute to this thread, but I'm not sure if I'm contributing to the original question or the answer.

I've been outputting some .MP4 videos from PowerDirector (using H.264, not H.265) and my results seem similar to Isak's when I try to get the videos over to our HDTV, using either of two methods: 1. dragging the file into iTunes on my PC, then trying to stream that with Apple TV, or 2. copying the file onto an extrernal hard drive and connecting that via USB to a Micca Speck video player that's connected to the HDTV.

In both cases, the video plays and seems to be working, but attempts to fast forward, or more particularly, to use controls to jump to a particular part of the video, cause weird problems. (like the video freezing, or playing but losing its audio)

Having given that long description...

What seems to work for me (although I'd welcome a better system) is to output the H.264 MP4 from PowerDirector, then use another program (VideoReDo) to perform an action on the video called "QuickStreamFix."

I'm not even 100% sure what QuickStreamFix does, but it seems to involved fixing keyframes or something like that.

Once I run QuickStreamFix on the video, it then plays perfectly, whether I use my Micca Speck or my Apple TV.

It seems that by default, PowerDirector outputs a video file that doesn't work quite right with my devices, but doing *some* kind of post-production fix makes it right.

I hope this extra detail helps in some way.
Isak [Avatar]
[Post New]
Smaller files seems to work, but the large file (6 hrs of video) i produced does not. I'll try the H.264 codec instead. If that does not work I'll also try the solution suggested by you AnalyticalGuy.

Regarding MP4, I tried to produce a shorter clip with all the available file types of H.264, and MP4 does not look the same as MKV or M2TS even at the same quality settings. Colors are different.

This little excercise was really helpful in terms of deciding what codec and quality setting to use on the larger file since the rendering of that file takes almost two days. I strongly recommend everyone to do the same before choosing what codecs and quality settings to use on your project.
glowx231 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 12:06 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
"Smaller files seems to work, but the large file (6 hrs of video) i produced does not."

When I download a video that balks this way, I found that running it thru Handbrake using default profile often resolving the problem.
[Post New]
Quote: This little excercise was really helpful in terms of deciding what codec and quality setting to use on the larger file since the rendering of that file takes almost two days.

You attempted to encode h265 by CPU only??? If you don't have a video card that supports harware acceleration for that specific format, just don't use it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2016 07:42

Isak [Avatar]
[Post New]
I produced a .mkv file with H.264 that works now.