Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Chapters do not follow when clips are moved
Isak [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2015 11:31 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
When i insert new clips and move the old ones to the side, the chapters do not follow! This is extremely irritating when you have lots of chapters to find your way around your project. Please fix!

Regards

Isak
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When i insert new clips and move the old ones to the side, the chapters do not follow! This is extremely irritating when you have lots of chapters to find your way around your project. Please fix!

Regards

Isak
They never have. Chapter points are fixed in location. When you move the content, the chapter marks are not correct anymore.

Which is why you should add the chapters as the last thing you do in a project.

Chapters only are for places in a DVD or BluRay movie Disk. They are not meant to be places in your project that is not finished. There is other Timeline Markers you can use.

Read the Powerdirector help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15. 2016 16:18

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Tazz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 03, 2014 23:16 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I really wish they could add a fix to this. Even if there was an option to lock or sync all chapter markers to timeline clips, that you could choose when it was needed. I understand that the chpater markers are the last thing to add, but as in my case just now, I have a project that has 50 chapters with multiple pieces in each chapter, and two cameras, and realized I needed to shift it all to the right so I could place something I forgot at the very beginning. So now instead of just temporarily locking the chapter markers to the clips, I have to manually move every one of them and line them all up again, etc. I know that it shouldn't be an option for the norm, but it's for those times that an "oh poop" occurs, which I'm sure with lengthy video project editing, we have all experienced one time or another.

Just my two cents worth!

Thanks, Tazz
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2016 10:49

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Or, just produce what you have, then put the produced version on the timeline and inset the clip you forgot. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
If you happen to be using one of the auto chapter creation selections then you can just click the button to remove all chapters and then choose the same again to create them all again after inseting new material.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 25. 2016 18:12

Isak [Avatar]
[Post New]
Using chapters in the only way of easily navigating in a project with hundreds o clips. Chapters are supposed to be chapters in a movie, so they need to follow whatever is under each chaper (the clips), not the location on the timeline, otherwise they are useless.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Using chapters in the only way of easily navigating in a project with hundreds o clips. Chapters are supposed to be chapters in a movie, so they need to follow whatever is under each chaper (the clips), not the location on the timeline, otherwise they are useless.
Chapters are not the only way. There is also Timeline Markers. Read the Help.

The easy way if you want to note a place on the timeline is to write on a notepad the time in the Preview player. In Movie Mode, You can jump to any time by typing in the time in the preview player then press Enter.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2016 10:00

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Tazz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 03, 2014 23:16 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you to everyone for different tips and insights on this subject. I might have to just re-adjust my workflow...I produce dance shows with 45-60 different dance numbers that all need a chapter for the dvd scenes menu...upon completing the entire show, I then burn it and (p)review it in a dvd player and tv (not on my computer)...That is where I see any glitches or problems, if there are any I have to come back in and fix things, or move, reduce, etc any problem areas, which in turn can change, even if just so slightly, the timeline, which of course goofs up all the chapter markers. I maybe need to produce the entire preview dvd without chapters/scenes review, and then come in and add the chapter markers!?
Thanks again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 11. 2016 15:12

Isak [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Chapters are not the only way. There is also Timeline Markers. Read the Help. The easy way if you want to note a place on the timeline is to write on a notepad the time in the Preview player. In Movie Mode, You can jump to any time by typing in the time in the preview player then press Enter.

Clips are moved back and fourth, edited in lenght and so forth. The timeline is static. Timeline markers are stuck to the timeline, just as chapters, so no help from those.

Cyberlink, please just fix this issue so that we can structure our projects without having to redo it everytime a clip is edited, deleted etc.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2016 10:50

Isak [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I don't think it's seen as an issue by the majority of users. The software is working 'as designed'.

The software is full of bugs, this is one fundamental bug that causes issues once you have projects with more than 10 clips that needs to be organised.