Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Purchase scanner
bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
I want to buy a flatbed scanner for 35mm negatives, dia and A4 sheets. Can you help in choosing. Thank you. W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Videocam: Panasonic SD 700 avchd
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Have you looked on line for the best scanners in your price range? Perhaps if you post some of the possibilities, someone here will have a comment on the pros and cons for the scanners you are looking at. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I want to buy a flatbed scanner for 35mm negatives, dia and A4 sheets. Can you help in choosing. Thank you.
Search for Canon Canoscan 9000 F:

http://www.canon.it/search/?q=canoscan%209000f%20mark%20ii

Scanners are not as popular as they were when everybody was scanning their film to Digital.

Epson makes some also, other companies make scanners. Search online for flatbed and film scanners.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 10. 2016 13:04

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
The price range of 200 euro = dollar.Canon, Epson, HP, which better? W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The price range of 200 euro = dollar.Canon, Epson, HP, which better?
That is a personal choice. I like Canon, others may prefer Epson and so on.

I doubt there much difference between the brands as far as functions.

I prefer Canon, because I have Canon printers, Canon HD cameras and Canon Scanner. It is easy to download drivers from Canon. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same in Epson and Nikon.

Do you want a dedicated scanner that is better at scanning especially slides/negatives or a multiple functions scanner printer? I have a standalone photo/slide/negative scanner for that along with ta multifunction scanner printer.

What do you plan to do witht he scanned negatives/slides? If you want to pront them in larger sizes, get the dedicated scanner for the higher scanning resolution. If you want to print to essentiall 5 by 7 inch, get the multifunction. the scans will be good enough..

In the US, Epson has a on-line refurbished/overstock store where they have great prices. Perhaps they have similar for where you live. Epson also has good access to new drivers. Epson Clearance store here: https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccProductCategory.jsp?UseCookie=yes&oid=-13268 My device is like this one http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product/Overview.do?UseCookie=yes&sku=B11B210201-N

Consider the long term use of the scanner. I had what I thought were thousands of negatives and slides. I was pretty motivated to get started -- then I finished. As above, now almost everything is digital so my scanner went into a closet (for the last year or so).

As you see, there is a lot to consider when investing 200 euros and as expected, you now have two good suggestions. You will have to make up your own mind!.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 11. 2016 06:53

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I have the same in Epson and Nikon.

Do you want a dedicated scanner that is better at scanning especially slides/negatives or a multiple functions scanner printer? I have a standalone photo/slide/negative scanner for that along with ta multifunction scanner printer.

What do you plan to do witht he scanned negatives/slides? If you want to pront them in larger sizes, get the dedicated scanner for the higher scanning resolution. If you want to print to essentiall 5 by 7 inch, get the multifunction. the scans will be good enough..

In the US, Epson has a on-line refurbished/overstock store where they have great prices. Perhaps they have similar for where you live. Epson also has good access to new drivers. Epson Clearance store here: https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccProductCategory.jsp?UseCookie=yes&oid=-13268 My device is like this one http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product/Overview.do?UseCookie=yes&sku=B11B210201-N

Consider the long term use of the scanner. I had what I thought were thousands of negatives and slides. I was pretty motivated to get started -- then I finished. As above, now almost everything is digital so my scanner went into a closet (for the last year or so).

As you see, there is a lot to consider when investing 200 euros and as expected, you now have two good suggestions. You will have to make up your own mind!.
Steve, how long have you had the Nikon film Scanner?

The last time I looked for film scanners, Nikon was discontinued.

I really wanted one several years ago, but I never bought one. I did scan all of my film, but I made a huge mistake, in that I scanned at 200 dpi. I have all of the images, but they are only thumbnails. I do scan the original film on my flatbed scanner if I need a full size image.

The film scanner(s) that I used at the time all failed, due to bad construction and daily use. Now, I do not have a standalone film scanner, just the Flatbed with film holders. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

stevek
[Post New]
OOPs I misspoke when I mentioned Nikon. Actually I have a Nikon dSLR but all my other items are Epson.

I don't have anymore slides/negatives to scan so my flatbed scanner is in a closet. I use my Epson Artisen 835 scanner for everything now but I don't print from those scans. That Artisen doesn't have a film/slide scanner function (top light).

My Epson 4490 scanner does slides and neqatives but of course doesn't print.

Sorry that I gave you the wrong impression. .
saxman48 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: SF Bay Area Joined: Jan 20, 2011 00:19 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I want to buy a flatbed scanner for 35mm negatives, dia and A4 sheets. Can you help in choosing. Thank you.

The Epson Perfection V600 is an awesome scanner and will do slides and negatives and will do A4 paper. I gave up on the scanner in an all-in-one printer and got the V600 a few years ago. I've done many 35 mm slides and the quality is very good. The included software gives tremendous lattitude. The model up from this one is significantly more expensive. Here's a link to the Epson page:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?UseCookie=yes&sku=B11B198011

Steve
Carl312
[Post New]
My Scanner is a Canon Canoscan 8400F, it is old, but still scans 35mm film strips, 35 mm slides and 120 film as well as A4 and letter size paper. The film scanning is both negative and postive(slides). Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

bonagege [Avatar]
[Post New]
I thank everyone. I understand that there is little difference between brands.I saw the manuals. Canon 9000F MKll I liked.Goodbye. W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17