Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
The dreaded "Production unsuccessful."
Psalm91 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2009 22:43 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone,

I've just recently updated my computer to Win10 and PD14 from Win8.1 and PD13. The project I'm working is standard (for me), no different than anything I've ever done, I'm sure it's PD14 or a combination of Win10 and PD14. The project consists of a 2hr long avi (movie) with ~1600 subtitles and several sound and video edits. I'm attempting to produce an H.264 MP4 24fps @ 16mbps.

This is the second error in as many days (hat tip to JL_JL for helping me on issue #1)...after trying to produce a video, which gets to roughly 17% complete, I get the error "Production unsuccessful. Please ensure your graphics card driver is up-to-date, and update to the latest version of Windows Media Player or QuickTime software. You can also try to output the production in a different video format."

From all my reading about this error, I believe this to be a "catch-all" error that can mean several different things including possible (or likely?) bugs in the PD application. I've read that people normally try to work around this error, so have I, unsuccessfully. So far I've tried each one of the following (independently, then trying to produce the MP4):

• Both H.264 and H.265

• Creating a custom profile from the stock.

• Changing the custom profile (bitrate).

• Checking the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\CES_FunctionLogger\Data" for all zeroes.

• Checking/Unchecking the Fast Video Encoding w/and w/o the Hardware Video Encoder checked.

• Checking/Unchecking both Hardware Acceleration options (all combinations).

• Uinstalling/re-installing PD14.

• Updating video card drivers to the latest and then back a notch to slightly older (NVidia GeForce GTX 645)

• Uninstalling the GeForce Experience app.

So far...I still get the error.

My next thought is to try PD13 on Win10 but if anyone knows anything that would help to get the newly purchased version working, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chuck
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
sorry to hear what you're going through...

have you tried with brand spanking new beta patch?

http://download.cyberlink..com/ftpdload/cs/patch/PDR14/PowerDirector_2423_GM4_Patch_Patch_VDE151204-02.exe

good luck, may the force be with you.

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The project consists of a 2hr long avi (movie)

Most likely the WIN10 and PD avi issue if your issue is like the attached pic. If so, going to PD13 won't help, your WIN8.1 was the solution previously. Yes, a catchall error message that can mean several things depending when it occurred. Since yours is occurring partway through encode I believe it's the avi issue. This was addressed in a beta release here, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46732.page with the note "Enhances the compatibility of AVI video in Windows 10".

There is also a more recent beta which PepsiMan directed you to which would contain this fix too.

I know, beta, use at your own risk, hopefully a released version soon. The other option would be convert the AVI with other tools and then use the converted file in PD.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_media_error_avi.png]
 Filename
PD14_media_error_avi.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
555 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
133 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 30. 2015 08:38

Psalm91 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey thanks guys.

I've downloaded 2423 (which is a slightly newer beta) and will let you know the results. I don't mind testing with Betas, I'm in software myself so I know how this stuff goes. It's just frustrating at times which I see you've both had your fair share of.

If the beta doesn't work, I'll try converting the video to another format prior to producing.

Thanks for the info and ideas,

Chuck
Psalm91 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The patch didn't work, so...I cracked open DVD Fab and tried re-ripping the bluray movie again into an MP4 instead of an AVI. Normally this is what I do, but before the upgrade to Win10, DVD Fab wasn't converting this particular blurary to an MP4 so I picked an AVI instead. After the upgrade DVD Fab will cut it to an MP4 (passthrough). So that's good.

My project with all it's edits was using the AVI (of course). I didn't want to redo all my edits on the MP4 so I opened the .PDS in notepad and switched the AVI file name to the MP4. PD14 opened the project file fine with one side-effect...the aspect ratio of the movie was off on every video clip. No problem, I just modified the clips (changed the aspect ratio and stretched the vid vertically) and all was well.

PD14 let me produce the movie. The video looked great but there was an odd clicking noise throughout. This could be a negative side-effect of the way I updated the PDS file or an issue with PD14 or the fact that I'm still using the beta patch.

I'll take it one step at a time but I am making progress.

Chuck
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The patch didn't work

Even with the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\MediaObj\MediaCache5 mod mentioned in the thread?

If that's true, be sure to post in the new beta thread about AVI issue unresolved.

Jeff
Psalm91 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep, I had deleted that as well, to no effect (well, at least for me). I wouldn't necessarily say that it wouldn't help anyone but it didn't help me.

I can try again, though, but probably not tonight...headed out to the theater and re-producing the MP4 again, this time with the Fast processing/use hardware encoding checked to see if that rids the video of the clicking noise. Still trying to isolate that one...
Psalm91 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tried a production with the AVI after deleting the cache again, still no joy. I can't post info on the other thread as it's currently locked.

Info attached.
 Filename
ErrorForH.265andH.264_MP4.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
380 bytes
 Downloaded:
284 time(s)
[Thumb - ErrorLogPic.png]
 Filename
ErrorLogPic.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
65 time(s)
Psalm91 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Final update for me on this. There seemed to be nothing I could do to get PD14 working for Win10 on my system with every setting, tweak, and work-around posted on the forums, so...I un-installed 14 and re-installed PD13 with the latest patch.

I had to redo the project from scratch but it worked without issue (on Win10).

With all the other posts I'm reading it seems PD14 isn't ready for prime-time yet, still too many issues. Guess I'll wait it out until it's a bit more stable.

Thanks for all your help guys.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
don't put the PD14 away yet.

install it beside PD13 if you've purchased an upgrade.

my PD14 Ultimate is an upgrade from PD12 Ultimate. no sibling conflicts, ever.

i don't have any issues due to the container that i use mostly 99% of the time is .MP4...

* p.s.

(ooops, sorry, my OS is still w7pro 64 bit)

then open a support ticket to Cyberlink about your experience if you haven't already.

they'll ask you little more info afterwards...

maybe, just maybe, run PD14 beside PD13 and see what happens.

nothing to lose.

also have you checked out this thread(for PD14)???

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45196.page

Happy New Year.
PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 01. 2016 13:25

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Psalm91 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Pepsi,

I did see where some folks were running different versions side-by-side without issue (but usually both worked to some capacity and there was a benefit for them). I'd do it just to help others though I am a bit concerned about it possibly hosing my PD13 installation. If you believe they're mostly self-contained/isolated, I'd try it out and see what happens (worst thing would be unstinstalling and reinstalling what I know works).

I came across that other thread and two things struck me about it:

1. Seems almost wrong to have to do that just to get PD14 working in the most basic way. No disrepect to anyone who wants to do it and I'm glad optodata found a solid work-around. Can't imagine how much he put into doing that.

2. I can't say about the latest K-packs, but I've used them in the past and they always seem to negatively affect different parts of my system (different programs). While I use this computer as my editing PC, I do use it for some other things as well. I know, I shouldn't, but I do. So...I tread lightly and generally steer clear of things I know may have serious, negative ramifications unless absolutely necessary.

I realize it's hard to make software that fits every machine in the world (again, I'm in the same business myself - selling software, I'm an old programmer that moved up in management, but I still get my hands dirty a lot), and I'm not sour on PD, but it seems some major steps have been missed concerning Win10.

Thanks again PM

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 01. 2016 17:34