Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Raw file distortion in Photo Director 5
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
RAW files from a Panasonic TZ70 are both distorted and pink in colour when opened in Photo Director 5 making the software unusable. Panasonic files used are RW2. Files open correctly in eg Silkypix.

Is there a solution?

Regards Ron
[Thumb - Raw in PD5.JPG]
 Filename
Raw in PD5.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
144 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 07. 2015 10:23

CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
[Post New]
Hello Ron,

The Panasonic TZ70 (also called ZS50 in most markets) certainly does display .RW2 files with that distinctive pink tinge in PhD5 with the 6312 patch applied. The camera was only released in April of this year.

As far as I can determine, there is no distortion of images. Perhaps you could attach one of the offending .RW2 files.

As you'd expect PhD6 displays the RAW files correctly.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
I attach another actual file ... viewed full screen stretches the picture correctly but note the 'fringing' around the edges plus 'pink'.

Hope that there is a solution (other than a spend to upgrade!) since RW2 files are not new to Panasonic.

Cheers Ron
 Filename
P1000170.RW2
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
14590 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
288 time(s)
CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
[Post New]
Thank you for that Ron.

True - RW2 isn't new, but camera companies continue to modify/improve their RAW formats.

Upgrading to PhD6 will help with the colour display, but not the unwanted extras around the edge.

Adobe LR doesn't even recognise it! embarassed

What lens were you using? The metadata says "Unknown Lens"

PIX PIX YouTube channel
RonH
[Post New]
Oh well I can at least use Silkypix Raw software which actually does a good job though rather complex. Panasonic 'promote' this software for this camera. However, since I have a lot of Cyberlink product it would have been more useful to use this for pic editing . Not to worry, maybe Cyberlink will issue an update at some stage.

The lens is the standard camera zoom, unmodified. Don't know why matadata also does not recognise it ... maybe its down to being so new. It is a great small and quite powerful camera, ideal for travelling.

Thanks Pix for your interest.

Cheers Ron

Apologies for the file size that I uploaded ... couldn't work out how to reduce it. Obviously ZIP files do not make much of a difference to total size of pics. CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
[Post New]
I have the same issue (pink tint) with raw images from a Panasonic Lumix G7 (called G70 in Europe).

Running PHD5 build 6312.
RonH
[Post New]
Looks like its Silkypix for handling these Panasonic RAW files. Pity really but one could always do the jpg conversion and then any final mods within Cyberlink for any special features needed from programme.

Cheers Ron CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
[Post New]
Hello Ron and hellebauer,

I'm afraid the news isn't very good on the Panasonic G7/PhD front. I've just tried some RAW sample files in PhD5, PhD6 & PhD7 (all with the most recent updates) and none of them displays the .RW2s correctly. embarassed Here, you see the JPEG beside the RW2

Obviously Silkypix does a good job.

When such incompatibility issues arise, I report them to the team at CL. I'm unable to make any promises about whether PhD5 is likely to be patched, but I'll certainly let them know.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Thanks for testing this PIX.

Too bad about PhD7 having the same issues. Was just getting ready to install PhD7 trial. Not waiting around for a CL patch either...... off to try Lightroom.

wade7575 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 14, 2015 00:32 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Does PhotoDiretor 7 have any of these problems I shoot with a Nikon and take all my pictures in RAW.
[Post New]
Hello Wade -

That depends very much on the model of your Nikon. One of my cameras is a Nikon D5500 & PhD7 has no issues displaying RAW files. I've also tested various .NEF files from many Nikon cameras (D & Coolpix series), most of which display correctly.

CyberLink provides update patches for PhotoDirector to try to keep it compatible with the most recent camera releases. These are available from http://www.cyberlink.com/support/photodirector-ultra/patches_en_GB.html

If you can provide your camera details, a more definitive answer can be provided.

PIX PIX YouTube channel