Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What Video Card to choose?
[Post New]
I have looked at the PD 13 system requirement page:
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/spec_en_US.html?&r=1

It is not very helpful in choosing a graphics card.

To make an informed decision it would be useful to know:

• Is anyone aware of video card benchmarks using PD 13 with different video cards?

• It would be nice to see benchmarks for different source material low/medium/high resolution footage.

• Also what compression the format is using none/low/high (so you know if it benefits your format).

• Are the graphic cards listed on the required system page the "only preferred and tested" cards?

• What areas do you see the biggest performance difference between video cards?

• How much help is the video card when applying "Stabilizer AND checking the "Use enhanced stabilizer" option to a video clip? Will it play smoothly from the time-line or do you still need to "Render Preview" it?

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
Paul1945
Contributor Location: South Africa Joined: Apr 12, 2014 14:11 Messages: 327 Offline
[Post New]
My PM

1.Money and Speed Benchmark Helps a lot !!Look at PM Pauls PC
X399 AORUS Extreme/AMD Ryzen2970WX/1xQuatro 4000 Driver:Geforce 419.67Skill V DDR4 64GB/3200MHz/Win10 prox64
Intel SSD 750/400 / Intel SSD 750/1.2Tb 1x4TB SSHD /1xSeagate 10TB pro
1xSamsung UA28D590 4k LUMIX GH5 1xLG HDR
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Nice camera.

How much do you do in tweating video projects. Do you cut and paste and then produce or do you add multi-cams, a lot of zooms, a lot of tracks, etc?

If you do mostly family documentaries with titles, music, overlays, some PIP and the more general stuff, then the video chip on your CPU may be enough.

If you are "more professional" and do multicams, more than a few tracks (dozens), a lot of projects where you use key frames, then perhaps somethign else may be better.

Time is a factor. Some video card/chips are very fast so your projects get done faster; other say that encoding (rending) using the software which is slightly slower gives better visual results.

I use a single GTX 760 which is fast enough and powerful enough for my family documentories.

Edit: Stabilization Depends on the camcorder you use. The image shows a pretty good one that probably has built in stabilization. The program does give you more stabilization. Remember that stabilization is just a slight zoom in so the video doesn't have the edge effect. I use ProDrenlyn, a stabilization program if the one in Power Director is not enough for my videos taken with an action camcorder.

ProDrenlyn: http://www.prodad.com/home/products/actioncam/300582316,l-us.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2015 10:30

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
Several of us have purchased the nVidia GTX960. Very nice card for about $200 US.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2015 14:13

Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
Paul1945
Contributor Location: South Africa Joined: Apr 12, 2014 14:11 Messages: 327 Offline
[Post New]
Hi EKSVid

I think Importend what is your End Result you want !! Editing with a LowEnd Card is not Recomendeble FOR 4K ORE HD !!

SPEED IN ALL THE NEW PD13 !! Pauls PC
X399 AORUS Extreme/AMD Ryzen2970WX/1xQuatro 4000 Driver:Geforce 419.67Skill V DDR4 64GB/3200MHz/Win10 prox64
Intel SSD 750/400 / Intel SSD 750/1.2Tb 1x4TB SSHD /1xSeagate 10TB pro
1xSamsung UA28D590 4k LUMIX GH5 1xLG HDR
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi EKSVid -

You'll find plenty of benchmark tests comparing how various GPUs handle games, but I don't know of any that specifically compare what you're after with PDR.

I won't attempt to offer any advice, but I do know that a couple of investigative forum members have done tests with PDR using different hardware setups, monitoring & comparing CPU/GPU activity during editing actions.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
GTX 960 has the best hardware encoder/decoder from nVidia family. It's the newest one so support is still to be fully implemented.
But for encoding for up to 4K resolutions (progressive mode) works good.
nVidia cards support both CUDA and OpenCL, so they will work with any hardware accelerated effect/transition.
AMD cards have an older hardware encoder, similar with nVidia Kepler generation (7xx series). Finicky drivers, not good for 4K encoding. Don't support CUDA, only OpenCL, so some effects don't make use of HA. But slowly it seems that every software producer will add OpenCL support, so it might not be that great of a deal.
The AMD advantage is that they offer HA for WMV format too.
[Post New]
Thank you all for input.

So nothing a bit more official from Cyberlink on what cards are supported and what cards work well (other than what is on the system requirement page)?

This guy has some useful info on hardware in general and it is well presented for beginners also. He uses Adobe products, but some of it is also applicable in making choices for other video editing software (like PD).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haP2aT_kpJo
Graphic cards he talks about towards the end of the video.

Any benefits from the g-card that anyone has notice on running stabilizer on a video clip with "Use enhanced stabilizer" turned on? Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
[Post New]
Usually VGA card accelerates video effects and decode/encode.

At this moment, nVidia GTX960 is my best choice since it has HEVC (H.265) hardware decoder and encoder.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 26. 2015 22:02

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
[Post New]
Do you have shadow files turned on for your setup? Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
[Post New]
Nope.
My platform is fast enough for 1080p editing. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
[Post New]
You might want to add your system specs to your signature - so we can all see you magic PC Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
[Post New]
I don't have shadow files turned on either - for 1080...