Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
arranging timeline?
Fly74 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ohio Joined: Jan 21, 2015 20:57 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
What are the main reasons for using multiple video and audio tracks?
Why not load everything to just one track?
I've been looking for a tutorial that explains this if anyone has a link to it, please share.

Thank you,
Greg
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
I'm a total newbie as well, but I believe that if you're only using one camera and not mixing any other media into your project, a single track is all you need.

But let's say you want some kind of effect that will show THROUGH your video, then that would be in another track. And if you have more than one video source (multiple camera angles all filming at the same time) by using different tracks you could align them all and switch views back and forth. You couldn't do multiple camera views all on the same track as far as I know.

And if you want a title for example, you could place it right on your one track, but then it would be as a separate scene. If you put it on another track it could overlay on top of a scene.

Hope I'm right, and that this is of help.
Fly74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
As far as I've seen so far that the higher number timelines take precedence over the lower numbers? Has that been true in your experience?
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
The main trak is the primary track, the tracks below that are overlay track they are on top of main track...you can have upt 99 tracks I believe. Title traks are for titles.
JIm Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Titles can be inserted into any video/image track BUT they can be over-laid by subsequent tracks. The Title track is a "dominant" overlay track and displays the Title content above all others.
Just to clarify further on what James1 has written.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2015 04:28

Fly74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, it makes sense the Title track would overlay all other tracks.
Would higher number video tracks take precedence over lower number video tracks and the same with higher number audio tracks as well? With the main Title track being top dog over everything?
Just trying to understand why there are 99 tacks available and how they can all be used?

Sorry to be so picky on this,
Greg
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
I had an "Aha" moment with this.
At first I had used just the main track for video and titles. So it played Title - video - title etc. Then I moved the titles down to the title track, and had the video move over to fill the space left.
The video played with the title overlaying the main video. For the dance videos I was showing it worked perfectly.
The dance and performer names played on top of the beginning of the dances. Perfect.
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
Fly74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It is starting to make sense, I just have not found any tutorials or places in the manual that speak to this timeline arrangement specifically.

Thanks again,
Greg
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Tracks…….I probably should make a tutorial about this, since I am a heavy user of tracks.
Tracks – or layers; it’s really the same in photo editing and video editing.

You can take a photo, and then apply different effects to it.
You can shoot video, and then apply different effects to it.
But what an effect on it’s own is not doing is adding to the video or photo one or more
objects or blending different things. There are X ways to do this, but in order to do so
you need tracks (or layers) to work (differently) for each item.

Think about a cake, a layered cake. You may have 3-4 layers or maybe 6-8. Each layer is different
from the other; cake, cream, jelly, jam, cream again, maybe some chocolate or berry, then cake again.
When it’s finished and ready to eat (produced video/ saved photo)- you have mixed the
flavours (effects) together and what you eat (watch) is the result of a blending.
You get a taste / an expression you made from your ingredients.

While waiting for a tutorial, maybe have a look at this little Quicktip where you clearly see one use of tracks.

Cheers,
Nina

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Fly74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Nina

That was very helpful. I had not made the comparison with tracks being the same as layers. Also the layer cake with the flavors, textures, and colors all blended for a different look and flavor than the individual ingredients would have.

Thanks again,
Greg

[Post New]
I create vacation documentaries from photos taken. I often have anywhere from 4 to 15 video time lines depending on the complexity of the album. I will often shrink pictures in key frame that allows multiple pictures to appear simultaneously. For example: I have a sequence shows a picture album cover that occupies 3/4 of the area. The cover opens and exposes an album page with 3 (or more) pictures on it. I then zoom in on that picture and use it to show other full screen pictures. On the last picture, I zoom out (reducing the size of the picture) to look as tho' I am putting that picture back into the album. I then open that page to the next page in the album.
All of this requires up to 9 layers. Many of the images are .PNG format to allow everything behind it to show through. For example the album rings are done that way so that they don't obscure any images behind it. Paul C