Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 13 Installation Problems
Geebob69 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 09, 2008 16:30 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
After 5 days of reading and trying everything I can find on the forums I'm ready to pull what little hair I have left out. I used to run version 10 and had no problems but a computer crash lost that version and I cant find a backup disk so I bought the newer version. I'm trying to install PD13_utra_vde141112-01 on a pc with intel core i7-2600 with 16 gigs ram. I have an AMD Radeon HD 7700 display card with 1 installed ssd hard drive and 2 hybrid drives. The c drive only has 65 gigs of available space left on it but my working drives have tons of space available.
I can get as far as importing media C:\program file\cyberlink\powerlinkdirector13\sampleclips\ballon.jpg before the computer locks completely, no mouse, no spinning wheel of death, nothing. The only way I can get it running again is to press and hold the power button and restart the computer.
Anyone have any ideas?
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Your hardware has plenty of power. 65 gigs on the hard drive is OK for housing the app but not if you're planning on doing HD video.

- Try loading only the basic app (first of 3 files) and leave the "content" file for later. It's not an absolute for loading PD13.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 25. 2015 16:14

Win 10, i7
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Powerdirector is supposed to install QuickTime also. If you have a version of QuickTime installed be sure it is the latest version.

Current Version is 7.7.6.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Geebob69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks but thats all I have tried to load so far. It gets as far as the importing media every time and thats where it locks up so I'm thinking it has to do with that file somewhere, maybe? I may delete the down load and try downloading again to see if that might be an issue
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Did you download the 3 files first from Cyberlink and then attempted to install the first (app) file ? Win 10, i7
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Geebob69,

You may need to explain in better detail what you have done, step by step.

Part D
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40225.page

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Geebob69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've downloaded the three exe files from cyberlink. PD13_ultra., content pack essential and content pack premium. I disable AVG antivirus and click on the PD ultra exe file that I've downloaded. Everything works fine I enter my product key and it shows almost 100 percent complete and then the importing media screen pops up and thats when the computer freezes everytime. No spinning wheel, no mouse movement, complete freeze. I tried letting it sit thru lunch to see if it was stalled and no luck. I cant ctrl+alt+del to get thru the screen. The only way to get my puter back is to hard start it by pressing the power button again.
I hope that helps? I would assume its something to do with the imported media since thats where it locks up every time but I'll be honest I've kinda run out of patience with it. I dont like having to hard restart the computer and I've been doing it 4-5 times a day trying to get this program up and running
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I've downloaded the three exe files from cyberlink. PD13_ultra., content pack essential and content pack premium. I disable AVG antivirus and click on the PD ultra exe file that I've downloaded.

The Downloaded exe file is a installation file. You should double click (Run) that file.
Do not install the Contents files until you have the program activated (enter the Product Key).

You should see the file extracting into a temporary folder, then after about a minute the Installer shows the files for Powerdirector being installed.

After Powerdirector is installed you click the icon on the desktop, at that point Powerdirector will ask for the Product Key.

After entering the Product Key, you should then see the user interface and the Sample files should load into the Medial Library.

Is that not what happens?

Geebob69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I get to the sample files loading and that is where it locks up.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I get to the sample files loading and that is where it locks up.

Have you contacted Cyberlink Support?

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

Since you do not give enough details, I cannot help you.
I am just guessing as to what you actually have.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Geebob69,

What you're experiencing isn't pleasant and you have the sympathy of other video editors here who have experienced something similar at one time or another.

Just to add a little observation to the thread and to the good suggestions Carl has been making.

RE: .... had no problems but a computer crash lost that version ....

1. Looks to me you haven't resolved the base problem you have with your computer. While you are not getting BSOD, you are getting a "hang/stall" situation and that may indicate a hardware issue. Could be a Hard Drive is having a problem.

2. Have you downloaded the files completely rather than partially.

When asked for specific details (as Carl has asked), a wise option is to provide the information promptly, you'd then be getting the help you need from an experienced editor.

Just guessing.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 26. 2015 12:32

Geebob69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm sorry I'm not making myself clear. This is a NEW computer built to run photoshop as I'm a professional photographer. I explained the events as clearly as I could in my third post. In answer to Carls (whom I appreciate trying to help) questions yes it goes thru the booting process all the way to the importing media files screen. It freezes at that screen every time. I have contacted Cyberlink support and sent them all the files that they has requested that I can provide. Since I've never been able to completely finish loading the program there some things I cannot provide. Re: your question about downloading the files completely. I have no clue. The download from Cyberlink said complete. I'm showing an .exe file of 811,411kb so other than deleting that file and downloading again (which I think I'm going to try) I really dont know what else to tell you
All vodi
[Post New]
That is an excellent idea. Do download the main file again only to confirm that the file is good/bad. Win 10, i7
Geebob69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tried that and same result. It actually gets to the editing screen and thats when the importing media screen pops up and total freeze up of the computer follows. I'm apparently not holding my mouth right.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've downloaded the three exe files from cyberlink. PD13_ultra., content pack essential and content pack premium. I disable AVG antivirus and click on the PD ultra exe file that I've downloaded. Everything works fine I enter my product key and it shows almost 100 percent complete and then the importing media screen pops up and thats when the computer freezes everytime. No spinning wheel, no mouse movement, complete freeze. I tried letting it sit thru lunch to see if it was stalled and no luck. I cant ctrl+alt+del to get thru the screen. The only way to get my puter back is to hard start it by pressing the power button again.
I hope that helps? I would assume its something to do with the imported media since thats where it locks up every time but I'll be honest I've kinda run out of patience with it. I dont like having to hard restart the computer and I've been doing it 4-5 times a day trying to get this program up and running

If you've entered your product key correctly the next action your computer has to do is for the activation to be confirmed - you need to be connected to the internet, I'm sure you are, afterall you're on the forum etc. So, I'm guessing that you have a problem with a security program on your computer either being slow or just blocking the confirmation connection taking place. Check your anti-virus settings really does look as though that's the issue (yes, I see you've disabled it but have you disabled all security features AVG & MS?)

Please provide a diagnostic of your PC. See guide Part A & B information.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40225.page

What drive have you installed PDR13 to?

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 27. 2015 03:05

Geebob69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
How does one attach a file to a post? I tried copying and pasting the report but it will not let me post it?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 27. 2015 13:25

Geebob69 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry found it ....this may not be a Friday job
 Filename
bob01.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
216 time(s)
[Thumb - cyberlink02.jpg]
 Filename
cyberlink02.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
204 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
113 time(s)
 Filename
bob2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
236 time(s)
NonnyM [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 04, 2012 13:40 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
Just a suggestion but have you tried installing by running as administrator and / or running PD13 as administrator ?

Aithough my user has admin rights, Win7 fails to run some bits of sofware, I have to run them as administrator.

Some hang as your description of PD13, does, some fail to open photos.

Win7 seems very fussy about who owns what and the access privilages that are needed.

When I posted my problems on the Forum, I was advised to make another user with admin rights and see if the problems were resoolved. To some extent they were, but I still have to change the exe files on some to run as administrator.

Rgds

PS I have also found the hard way that SSD drives have a problem sometimes with setting restore points in Win7. They seem to want to do there own thing, and the PC comes to fast braking halt. It maybe worth trying by switching off the Win7 Restore widget / thingy and see what happens ?

There is advice on the web regardind SSDs and the problems with the Win7 Trim command and restore points.

Rgds

PS I leave this message at 21:15 UK Time , not wot the forum clock says !

Rgds

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 27. 2015 16:16

Win 7 Home SP 1, PD 13
Processor i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), (RAM) 8.00 GB, Sys Drive 120 gig SSD, Data Drive 1 Terrabyte, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ii , Portable USB3 2 Terrabyte