Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Completely off topic - old newspaper.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
A family member has been having a clear out and has loaned me some old newspapers. If anybody is interested or can make use of the attachment here it is (it is a copy of the Daily Express dated 5th May 1945 that I have taken photos of and then pdf'd). Feel free to PM me for further info.
 Filename
DailyExpress5-5-45.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
10906 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
392 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: A family member has been having a clear out and has loaned me some old newspapers. If anybody is interested or can make use of the attachment here it is (it is a copy of the Daily Express dated 5th May 1945 that I have taken photos of and then pdf'd). Feel free to PM me for further info.

Hi,
A big thank you for sharing the newspaper on the end of the war in Europe. From a historical point of view the date and such makes it a super item to have. Using the image in a video may challenge some but it is easily possible.

When I first saw the attachment it made me recall where I was when I first read that JFK had been assassinated, collecting and carrying my Dad's paper to him with "that photograph" on the front page. I wish I had that paper now.

When I looked through your pdf I saw a article on the taking of Rangoon, ummm now that to me hit home. My father walked through a lot of Burma (the Arakan mountain range) and had been in Rangoon at some point.

Thank you for the attachment.

Dafydd
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: {snip}A big thank you for sharing the newspaper on the end of the war in Europe.

More than welcome Dafydd - I take far more out of the forum in info and examples than I could ever give back.

I also have:-
1 Daily Express from 3rd May 1945.
2 Daily Express of 7th 8th and 12th February 1952 (Death of King George IV).
3 Daily Express "Lunar Express" 15th July 1969 (Lunar Landing).
4 Daily Express March 3rd 1969 (Concorde first flight).
5 Daily Express 2nd July 1969 (Investiture Prince of Wales).
6 Daily Mail 23rd November 1990 (Margaret Thatcher loss of leadership).

I don't know if I'll get around to doing anything with them but as I said previously if anyone wants to PM me for any of the above I'll do them. The ones I have done I also have as jpegs of each page but as you say it's easy enough to get it from the pdf (i.e. screen print).

I find them interesting and poignant knowing what times were like for the common man during the last war. My mother was german and my father english. My german grandmother had 2 brothers who were both put in concentration camps and some of the stories my mum used to tell were heartrending. I've grown up knowing that I belong to a very lucky generation. It's sad that there are still people who want to plunge us all back into such misery.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Longedge,
Indeed a very lucky generation.

The Concorde report would interest me as well as a few others (I'll send you contact details). I have a video in mind.

The Concorde test flights used to pass very very low* (at a guess it felt like 200 feet, nose down) over my parents property and I recall having to shout very loudly for my Mum to hear me above the roar of the Concorde engines.

*I could see every detail - a wow moment. Brian Trubshaw in control.

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you George, the newspapers are a thorough delight to have and to read through. The small snippets of news were always my favourite to pickup on as well as reading the headline. Thank you once again for making them available.
Dafydd
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
oops that was meant to be a pm

but anyway - I was saying that I've now got my Sony 4K TV installed and have been trying out a few test clips. I was beginning to panic a bit but finally found the right option for me which is MP4 using XAVC-S at 3840×2160 25p and default profile. It certainly makes my laptop groan a bit under the load but the results are spot on.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 22. 2015 14:35