Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Possible to fill LG Ultrawide 21:9 monitor with a 2.40:1 Aspect BluRay?
TempTag [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2015 19:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am trialing PowerDVD 14 with intent to use on a LG Ultrawide 21:9 (2560X1080) monitor.

However, I am unable to get 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 movies to (mostly) fill the 21:9 screen. (A competing product could do this but has been discontinued.)

When I select stretch the movies stretch horizontally but are squished vertically. I see some "TrueTheater" settings under Aspect Ratio that might be promising except I am unable to select any of them for either DVD or Bluray - regardless of my using hardware or software acceleration.

Does anyone know if PowerDVD 14 is capable of filling a 21:9 screen with 2.3/2.4:1 content? If so, how does one do this?

Thanks
[Post New]
your circumstance is a bit wierd. the thing is when you buy a uhd bluray disc, the black borders are recorded in. so basically your going to have black borders all the way around. powerdvd has a zoom function. if you use that, you should eliminate most/all of the lack borders. truetheater stretch is likely to fail here. also it uses a combination of stretch & crop. not really ideal. you want to use the zoom slider next to the volume control on pdvd

Edit: sorry I meant ultra wide or 21:9 blurays not uhd.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2015 02:58

TempTag [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2015 19:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, zoom sounds like it may work but I see no zoom function in PDVD 14.
On either side of the volume slider is "fast forward" on the left and "Display the TrueTheater effects window" on the right.

I tried the "Ctrl + Mouse Wheel" instant zoom shortcut but it does nothing in using either Hardware or Software decoding. Is zoom only supported in some versions of PDVD14?

[Post New]
i am assuming you have pro or ultra, otherwise you can't play bluray. i know ultra version has a small magnifying glass, i don't know about pro version but i assume it has.

edit: if you have a look at the pictures for the intrface on this site, to the right of volume is zoom, then truetheater.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2015 00:58

Jimm98y [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2015 16:00 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Currently, playing Star Wars bluray looks like this:

Notice the black borders on top an bottom as well as those on the sides. Also in bluray playback mode there is no zoom button no matter which type of decoding is selected (software/hardware).
Stretch to fit the screen option stretches the picture horizontally, but it keeps black bars on top and bottom (and deforms the picture so the movie is not watchable in such mode).
Zoom button is present for MKV playback, but so far the only way to play bluray movies on 21:9 screen without the black borders I know about is to rip the bluray to MKV and remove black borders in the process, then play the MKV.
Is the missing Zoom button in bluray playback a bug?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2015 16:12

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
there is no zoom for BD playback, this is restriction caused by the necessary Content Protection for BD playback

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Jimm98y [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the response - would it be possible to at least enhance the Stretch option to also stretch the picture vertically thus removing the black bars? I mean if it is allowed to stretch the image horizontally, why not vertically? Another option would be to add "Horizontal stretch with fixed aspect ratio" or "Uniform stretch". As you can see above it really does not look good to have such a huge screen with a small picture in the middle and huge black bars on all sides.
Jimm98y [Avatar]
[Post New]
This issue was bugging me for quite a while and because there were no replies and no info whether it will be resolved in some patch, I wrote a small program that takes care of resizing the movie and removing the borders on 21:9 screens.
You can download it here: http://ul.to/pqkdi1ki
Unzip it, run it, run PowerDVD and hit Ctrl + Alt + F to stretch the movie. To disable the stretch, hit Ctrl + Alt + F again. Tested with PowerDVD 14, but it might work with older versions as well. It is provided as is, free of charge and without any warranties of any kind. Let's hope CyberLink adds an option to remove the borders soon and this tool will not be needed. Enjoy!
Here is the result:

Note: If you experience issues with stretching the movie and you have a screen with higher resolution than 2560x1080, try reducing the resolution to exactly 2560x1080. Thanks Jak for finding a workaround!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2015 17:47

Paulvw [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2015 06:00 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Jimm98y Thank you for this. I am using PowerDVD13Pro and a 21:9 AOC screen and your solution works perfectly. The loader program won't start just up PD just by running it, you have to start it separately but that is absolutely no bother.

The inability to use the full screen was really bugging me, so a big thanks once again.
Jimm98y [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, thank you for the feedback. I do not have PowerDVD 13, but it works with PowerDVD 14 and I hope they had not changed file names that much.
1) Did you copy the loader to the PowerDVD directory in C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD13?
2) There should be PowerDVD.exe in the same folder and when you run it, it should open PowerDVD.
3) When you place PowerDVDLoader.exe into this folder, it should run PowerDVD.exe and wait until you close it, then exit automatically.
Paulvw [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2015 06:00 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
yes I set it up like that but PowerDVDLoader.exe (PDL) wouldn't run PowerDVD.exe (PD) However, it worked fine if you just ran PDL and then ran PD. Which really isn't a bother - just a few mouse clicks.
isaac1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 16, 2015 17:44 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

first Jimm98y thank you for this!

But I have a little bit trouble with that.

Look here:

Without

With activated Programm

I have tried it both ways Jimm98y described it with several films. But every time the borders at the bottom will not removed.

Any Idea?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 20. 2015 15:38

Jimm98y [Avatar]
[Post New]
I suppose you have higher resolution than 2560x1080. Try changing the resolution in Windows to 2560x1080 exactly. That should resolve the issue you are having. I do not have any screen with such resolution and my laptop would not support it anyway (DisplayPort 1.1 only), so unfortunately I cannot help you with that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 21. 2015 14:38

isaac1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry I forget. I have an Acer B296CL@2560x1080@DP1.1@Intel NUC.

It will try It on another PC and report. Actually, I do not believe in an hardware or driver Problem.
nepa [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 30, 2015 05:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Jimm98y, do you think your software could be used to do a vertical stretch to 3d content?
I'm watching movies in 2.35:1 aspect ratio using anamorphic lens and I need a way to do vertical stretch to 3d content with htpc. So no need to do horizontal stretch.
Or do you think you could give me the source code so I could modify it myself?
Jimm98y [Avatar]
[Post New]
Today the project reached 100 downloads, thank you!

For anyone interested, you can find the source code here: https://pdvdloader.codeplex.com/

Please forgive the structure of the code, it was made only as a proof of concept and I did not have much time to spend on this. If you wish to contribute, please let me know.

As for the vertical stretch, I think it should be possible with a few modifications.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 30. 2015 15:38

isaac1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here are my test results:

I have tested approx. 10 different movies with the format 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 on Intel NUC and my Work-PC (I5-750+GTX660).
I had only with two movies the problem which I in the previous post has described. The borders on the bottom appears even on the NUC. My Work-PC played all films perfectly.
I have updated the graphics driver, disabled the hardware acceleration and deinstalled PowerDVD and run a fresh installation, however it did not help.
Maybe there still is somewhere Cache files or the copy protection causes the problem ?

I have the Bond 50 Colletion and the error is understandable for all 2.35: 1 Bond movies: 1 / 2.40. Interestingly, not on the bonus disc when I play, for example the intros. Maybe someone can confirm it?
nepa [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 30, 2015 05:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Jimm98y, I could try to use this to do 3d vertical stretch and do some code modifications. My htpc broke down so I have to wait for a while to get a new power source. I'll keep you posted.
sean_sk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2014 02:18 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
there is no zoom for BD playback, this is restriction caused by the necessary Content Protection for BD playback

br
Michael

If this were the case then why can I zoom in on blu ray movies in TotalMedia Theatre 6? It would be good to see this feature added. I much prefer PowerDVD over to TMT since its playback is much better but would like the ability to zoom in to remove black borders.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2015 10:35

tool1970 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2015 22:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Jimm98y HOLY COW your program fixed the problem. Nero blu ray does the same thing without your fix. Why won't these companies patch this in????

tool1970@gmail.com

these forums suck really bad. old software or something, can't even reply.