Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to do the simplest transition
TerryQ111 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2014 15:36 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
I recently purchased PowerDirector 13 Ultimate w Premium Effects and Templates. I'm new to this software. I have used Pinnacle before. All I want to do is use a simple transition that will fade from one video clip to another video clip. All I can find in the transition set that came with the software are lots of more complex transitions that flip the clips, spin them, slide them, blow them up, etc.

How can I do a simple transition that fades from one clip to the other. That is pretty basic. I searched for that here on the forum and was unsuccessful finding it.

Thank you,

Terry
Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
HP Z230 Workstation (Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSHD, 3TB Toshiba Data Drive, Windows 10 Professional, nVidea GeForce GTX 750Ti)
Panasonic HC-X920
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Look under the Transition - 2D you should find the fade transition.

If you use it a lot, add it to your favorites. One shortcut is to use the favorite to add the favorite transition to all the video clips once you have them in place. Remember to adjust the duration and the type of transition. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
TerryQ111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Steve. I must have had a blind spot, because I'd even filtered to 2D transitions when I first looked for it, and still didn't see it. But it was there.

Is there a similar "fade from first clip to black, then immediately fade from black to the other clip" transition included with the software? I didn't see that, and I looked three times this time. Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
HP Z230 Workstation (Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSHD, 3TB Toshiba Data Drive, Windows 10 Professional, nVidea GeForce GTX 750Ti)
Panasonic HC-X920
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi TerryQ111 -

If you insert the fade at the end of a clip (postfix), you'll get a fade to black. Prefix transitions (start of clip) give you a fade to black.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Fades.png]
 Filename
Fades.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
92 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
363 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2014 12:25

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Also, both the PREfix (fade from black) and the POSTfix (fade to black) transitions can be placed side-by-side, at a singe split point between clips.

If you simply want to dissolve between two clips (no black), use FADE (it's in the TRANSITION room). In EDIT|PREFS|EDITING set the "default transition behavoir" to CROSSfade. Drop the transition onto the split between the clips.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2014 12:44

TerryQ111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
What I was looking for was a transition that you could drop between two clips, similar to the normal fade. But instead of blending the two scenes together, it fades out one scene (to black) including dropping out the sound, and then rises up immediately to the other clip, going from black to full clip and sound building up to full. The Pinnacle Studio software I bought 10 years ago had this as one of its basic transitions. It is useful as a fade where you are trying to provide a sense of more change between the two clips, sucha as giving a sense of a change in time.

I suspect I could create the effect by putting one black frame between two Cyberlink fades like we talked about above. But that would require copying that into the timeline as a set of clips every time I needed it. Is there a way to save a combination like that as a custom built transition, that could be added to the transitions screen? Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
Panasonic HC-X920
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: What I was looking for was a transition that you could drop between two clips, similar to the normal fade. But instead of blending the two scenes together, it fades out one scene (to black) including dropping out the sound, and then rises up immediately to the other clip, going from black to full clip and sound building up to full. <snip> Is there a way to save a combination like that as a custom built transition, that could be added to the transitions screen?

Perhaps, but I'm not aware of it.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Nov 27. 2014 13:08

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Place your 2 images (or videos) on a single timeline, next to each other. They can abut, however they do not NEED to.
At the end of image 1, drag the fade only onto that clip's end. At the start of clip 2, drag the fade to the start of the clip. PLAY.
You should have fade to black followed by fade from black. The more you move the 2 clips away from each other, the longer the fade out-in.
Dragging the length of the fades also will alter the timing.
The same general effect can be had in MODIFY using the FADE in-out function.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2014 13:31

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
TerryQ111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Barry,

I just tried your suggestion to put a fade on both sides of the split, and it works as you said it would. So that is a reasonable workaround. Thanks!

I'm kind of surprised, if it is that easy, that Cyberlink hasn't provided it as a transition. Is there a way to draw their attention to it so that they might incorporate it as a standard transition in the future?

Terry

Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
Panasonic HC-X920