Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Size/Resolution of Still Photos/Images for Video
philwizzer123 [Avatar]
Member Location: Kent UK Joined: Dec 31, 2013 08:42 Messages: 62 Offline
[Post New]
I am creating a video with a mixture of video clips/still photos.

Can someone guide me on the size of photos that I should use.

For example the images have been shot with a Canon and are 6000 x 4000 pixels. I will want to do a bit of panning and zooming in and out etc. But are these too big for say a 1920x1080 video? Should I reduce them down first?

I think I have read somewhere that images should be approx 2x the video size to allow for panning/zooming etc but anything bigger creates a big file and slows rendering.

Can you help please?

Thanks
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi philwizzer123 -

My 'umble advice would be not to resize the photos first... especially as you're going to be panning and zooming which, in effect, is cropping the image to 1920x1080.

What you read is correct about image size & panning/zooming. Larger images may take longer to render but I doubt they'd have much impact on file size. I'll test that.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Follow up to above...

Render time varies with image size, even over a short duration (15 seconds test production). File size is not affected.

The photos used were cropped & resized prior to import. PQ is much better with zooms using HR images.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Pan Produce.png]
 Filename
Pan Produce.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
8 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
152 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 22. 2014 20:21

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
philwizzer123 [Avatar]
Member Location: Kent UK Joined: Dec 31, 2013 08:42 Messages: 62 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much Tony. I suppose I could have tested this myself really but I thought someone on the forum would have the prior knowledge or experience.

Thanks again