Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Atmos
Atmos_User [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 26, 2013 04:01 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Admin,
I wanted to know if there will be any updates to the software to enable the new Dolby Atmos audio format.

Thx
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Admin,
I wanted to know if there will be any updates to the software to enable the new Dolby Atmos audio format.

Thx

Welcome to the user forums. Why are you asking? I doubt that the forum administrator would have any inside knowledge. Contact tech support/administration/company directly. If you look at the Dolby site, that isn't listed for use for home theater.

Are you running a theater or are you editing video for a theater? Where are you getting the video/discs that have ATMOS? How many speakers do you have in your theater room?

I don't have any insight but that seems to be a little advanced for a Prosumer piece of software (PowerDVD). Do you know of any other software in this price range that will play audio with ATMOS?
[Post New]

Thx
The question doesn't make much sense since there's no Blu-Ray or other official format which sports Atmos yet.

It's your receiver which must handle Atmos and upgrade the 5.1 or 7.1 Blu-Ray sound to more speakers.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

Thx
The question doesn't make much sense since there's no Blu-Ray or other official format which sports Atmos yet.

It's your receiver which must handle Atmos and upgrade the 5.1 or 7.1 Blu-Ray sound to more speakers.

Agreed. Someone must just wants to talk about new technology without understanding it!

I live in Houston, one of the largest cities in the US and there is only one theater that has ATMOS audio.
Atmos_User [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Thx

Agreed. Someone must just wants to talk about new technology without understanding it!

I live in Houston, one of the largest cities in the US and there is only one theater that has ATMOS audio.

In the fall, some say October Atmos will be coming to blu-ray.

Love the cynical comments guys. When in doubt try "Google". I could have answered the blu-ray question before I even posted initally.

http://blog.dolby.com/2014/06/dolby-atmos-coming-soon-living-room-near/
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/high-def/dolby-atmos-coming-blu-ray-33513
http://www.twice.com/news/blu-raydvd/dolby-atmos-blu-ray-discs-due-year/45750
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/first-listen-dolby-atmos-right-home

Receivers
http://dolbyatmos.onkyousa.com/#dolby-atmos-receivers
http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/audio_visual/yamaha_elevates_premium_aventage_av_receivers/
http://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-atmos-is-coming-to-home-theaters-via-pioneer-denon-integra-and-more/

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 05. 2014 18:37

[Post New]
Nice quotes. It's still not a mainstream format anytime soon. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
stevek
[Post New]
Update: It looks like ATMOS is sooner rather than later. Look at the Crutchfield latest sales brochure. Atmos enabled blu ray discs will be available in the "fall".

It looks like standard blu ray players will handle it but special audio receiver will be needed to decipher the "overhead sound:. 11 speakers are recommended but less are possible. The is supposed to be a speaker that provides normal audio and also project audio to the ceiling.

The question remains "how much effort should Cyberlink put into a program to handle ATMOS which may turn out to be a "fad". I'm not sure how many people would invest in the receivers and the number of speakers including the overhead speakers using a new (?) computer program when a standard blu ray player would be perhaps the primary player?

ATMOS_User. Why would you want a computer program to do this rather than using your blu ray player (assuming that you have one) and your current audio setup ? I'm just interested in your motivation. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Atmos_User [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Update: It looks like ATMOS is sooner rather than later. Look at the Crutchfield latest sales brochure. Atmos enabled blu ray discs will be available in the "fall".

It looks like standard blu ray players will handle it but special audio receiver will be needed to decipher the "overhead sound:. 11 speakers are recommended but less are possible. The is supposed to be a speaker that provides normal audio and also project audio to the ceiling.

The question remains "how much effort should Cyberlink put into a program to handle ATMOS which may turn out to be a "fad". I'm not sure how many people would invest in the receivers and the number of speakers including the overhead speakers using a new (?) computer program when a standard blu ray player would be perhaps the primary player?

ATMOS_User. Why would you want a computer program to do this rather than using your blu ray player (assuming that you have one) and your current audio setup ? I'm just interested in your motivation.

Hi Steve,

My motivation, I have a home theater PC I built which plays Blu-ray and it also has the Ceton 6 channel Cable TV tuner. Other than a M-Card for $2 a month to my cable provider I no longer pay the gauging $25 a month fee for the privilege of recording my shows and to use "the box". I would hope since Atmos will play on regular Blu-ray players that it will just pass through "Non-Decoded high definition Audio to external device" without issue.

I Currently have a Onkyo TX-606 in a 7.1 setup with 2x Polk TSi 500, 4x TSi 100(Book shelf),CS-10 center channel and Velodyne DLSR-4000 sub. I plan to swap the Receiver for either a Onkyo TX-NR 1030 or TX-NR 939(Yet to be announced, but projected). The house is pre-wired so I can add Polk Audio OWM3/5 ceiling/multi purpose speakers for the ceiling, ultimately a 5.1.4 setup and keep a pair of book shelf speakers as spares. I will not change a thing until I can get a 9 channel Atmos receiver for under 1k, Black Friday maybe?

Atmos_User [Avatar]
[Post New]
Transformers 4 with Dolby Atmos

http://investor.dolby.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=869623
DavidII [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2014 16:14 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Well - there happens to be a slew of people that currently use their HTPC's as preamp/prepros as well - eliminating the need for a receiver. All they do is add power amps and have a high-end multi channel sound card (they let the PC do all of the processing). These are the people that are waiting for Atmos in players such as Cyberlink PowerDVD. The first one that offers it - I'm buying it in a heartbeat! I don't need new receivers that become antiquated or bricks before the next format! I love having a PC I can fix and or trouble shoot...all I have to worry about is software!
memeiriver [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 20, 2014 11:12 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Thx

Guess you never heard of 'Transformers -- Age of Extinction" then? It has a 7.1 TrueHD, Atmos-laden HD audio track, to name one current Blu-Ray.

Also, why are you so rude to the OP? His question is perfectly legit.
[Post New]
Quote: Guess you never heard of 'Transformers -- Age of Extinction" then? It has a 7.1 TrueHD, Atmos-laden HD audio track, to name one current Blu-Ray.
You seem to confuse 7.1 TrueHD and Atmos. That's definitely not the same thing.
There is NO actual blu-ray disc with a full Atmos soundtrack. For instance, TrueHD does NOT support ceil mounted speakers.

It's not because a movie in the theater was using Dolby Atmos that it's the same on the BluRay version... simply because the actual BluRay format doesn't support Atmos at all.
stevek
[Post New]
Korrigan is correct. From the article cited: Note the date of release:

On September 30, 2014, Paramount Pictures will release the first Blu-ray Disc to feature a Dolby Atmos soundtrack with the #1 movie of the year worldwide, Transformers: Age of Extinction. Both the Blu-ray Combo Pack and the Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack will offer a Dolby Atmos soundtrack encoded in Dolby TrueHD. Paramount Pictures will look to support additional Dolby Atmos home theater titles via online streaming and Blu-ray Disc later this year. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are fully backward compatible, meaning they'll play on traditional home entertainment playback systems. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Quote: Korrigan is correct. From the article cited: Note the date of release:

On September 30, 2014, Paramount Pictures will release the first Blu-ray Disc to feature a Dolby Atmos soundtrack with the #1 movie of the year worldwide, Transformers: Age of Extinction. Both the Blu-ray Combo Pack and the Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack will offer a Dolby Atmos soundtrack encoded in Dolby TrueHD. Paramount Pictures will look to support additional Dolby Atmos home theater titles via online streaming and Blu-ray Disc later this year. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are fully backward compatible, meaning they'll play on traditional home entertainment playback systems.
Thing is, even if they call it "Atmos" for maketing, a 7.1 TrueHD track remains... a 7.1 track. There's no support for the things that make Atmos so great, like more speakers and ceiling mounted speakers.
It's just like the supposed actual "4K" blu-rays... which are just 4K mastered, but are still 1920x1080 aka 1080p. It's marketing bullshit. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
memeiriver [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Guess you never heard of 'Transformers -- Age of Extinction" then? It has a 7.1 TrueHD, Atmos-laden HD audio track, to name one current Blu-Ray.
You seem to confuse 7.1 TrueHD and Atmos. That's definitely not the same thing.
There is NO actual blu-ray disc with a full Atmos soundtrack. For instance, TrueHD does NOT support ceil mounted speakers.

It's not because a movie in the theater was using Dolby Atmos that it's the same on the BluRay version... simply because the actual BluRay format doesn't support Atmos at all.

I'm not confusing anything. See:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14840

The Atmos is woven into the TrueHD stream somehow (don't ask me how, but it is). As a result, you can't decode the TrueHD stream (wth libav, for instance); and eac3to can't recognize it either. It *does* play in PowerDVD and XBMC and such, though (no doubt sans the Atmos component).
memeiriver [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

On September 30, 2014, Paramount Pictures will release the first Blu-ray Disc to feature a Dolby Atmos soundtrack with the #1 movie of the year worldwide, Transformers: Age of Extinction. Both the Blu-ray Combo Pack and the Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack will offer a Dolby Atmos soundtrack encoded in Dolby TrueHD. Paramount Pictures will look to support additional Dolby Atmos home theater titles via online streaming and Blu-ray Disc later this year. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are fully backward compatible, meaning they'll play on traditional home entertainment playback systems.
Thing is, even if they call it "Atmos" for maketing, a 7.1 TrueHD track remains... a 7.1 track. There's no support for the things that make Atmos so great, like more speakers and ceiling mounted speakers.
It's just like the supposed actual "4K" blu-rays... which are just 4K mastered, but are still 1920x1080 aka 1080p. It's marketing bullshit.

That's a bit of a bummer then. More like a fraud, really. Good to know, though. Thx.
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

It's just like the supposed actual "4K" blu-rays... which are just 4K mastered, but are still 1920x1080 aka 1080p. It's marketing bullshit.

That's a bit of a bummer then. More like a fraud, really. Good to know, though. Thx.
Not sure. They can encode the additional Atmos data as "metadata" which the actual receivers are supposed to ignore (don't tell me about compatibility issues... this could be fun...). Thing is, Atmos for the very few who will have ceiling mounted speakers (do you have them? Most home theaters are still... yeah, guess what? 5.1!) will lessen the quality for the majority who are using 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 systems. Because more (useless for the majority) sound data means more disc space used.

So it's not exactly a fraud.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2014 11:51

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
memeiriver [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure. They can encode the additional Atmos data as "metadata" which the actual receivers are supposed to ignore (don't tell me about compatibility issues... this could be fun...). Thing is, Atmos for the very few who will have ceiling mounted speakers (do you have them? Most home theaters are still... yeah, guess what? 5.1!) will lessen the quality for the majority who are using 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 systems. Because more (useless for the majority) sound data means more disc space used.

And that is why I don't buy Blu-Ray disks with both 2D/3D version on them, cuz it's just half of the usual space for each of them.

So it's not exactly a fraud.

Well, I was just going by your earlier statement, that:

"Thing is, even if they call it "Atmos" for maketing, a 7.1 TrueHD track remains... a 7.1 track."

I guess the meta-data really does contain the ceiling speaker info, but I have no way of testing that (I only have a 7.1 set, and no Atmos receiver yet).

As for quality loss, guess I'll have to mix the ceiling channels into the side-channels then, or something, and convert the lot to LPCM (resampling itself, of course, also means quality loss).
Billy7 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 27, 2014 17:49 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
Kerrigan is wrong (apart from the meta data)
This elitist attitude and misinformation is not helping anyone!
Atmos uses audio objects and spatial coding.
Read it on their site.
http://blog.dolby.com/2014/09/dolby-atmos-goes-cinemas-living-rooms/
the first software player to support this new format will be getting my money.
I use an RME sound card which is better quality than most amps, through balanced outputs going to active studio monitor speakers.
I'm going to add extra outputs to my RME fireface via ADAT to get as many speakers in my room as possible.
To the people who can't get their heads around people not using receivers/decoders; if you go the audio interface route you are not forced to upgrade receivers/decoders/amps every time a new format (like atmos) comes out or a new HDMI spec comes out (like HDMI 2) etc.
An update from a cyberlink employee to give a time scale on when we should expect atmos support would be appreciated.
I'll be posting something similar on other home theatre application forums.
Thanks!

Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
Nvidia 980TI GTX, Marantz AV7702mk2, Apogee Duet, 3x Adam A77X, 4x Mackie MR5's, 4X Mackie CR4
Panasonic PT-AT6000e projector, 120" fixed projector screen, Panasonic ST30 50" TV.
[Post New]
Quote: Kerrigan is wrong (apart from the meta data)
This elitist attitude and misinformation is not helping anyone!
Atmos uses audio objects and spatial coding.
I know how it works, and that additional data uses additional disk space.
I see Atmos becoming interesting with the upcoming larger blu-ray disks (for 4K), but on the limited space of the actual disks, I see it more like a liability than an advantage. Atmos will just reduce the general quality of audio (and possibly video too) for the majority.
I rather have a high quality 7.1 lossless track with highest possibly quality picture than reduced quality sound and picture because disk space is used for Atmos.

And it's just my opinion, like everybody I have the right to have one, no need to become rude and insulting. My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7