Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timeline ruler graduations
Merv1947 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Mt Cotton, Queensland, Australia Joined: May 25, 2014 21:16 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
I'm new to PD and am glad to have moved from other NLEs I have used over the years. I think it is excellent and have only one query so far, a search finds no answers so I shall ask here.

Timeline ruler graduation marks:
I'm editing in PAL at 1920X1080 50fps and am having trouble adjusting to the timeline graduation markings. In every other editor I've used, the timeline can be stretched to show the graduation marks in seconds. When stretched out to that level, my timeline won't show a mark for each second; each mark seems to be about 75% of a second, or about 37 frames.

Is there any setting where I can have the timeline ruler showing a mark on each second?

Thanks for any assistance.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
By dragging the timeline 'Marker" bar you can expand the timeline to show hour:min:sec:frame on it. don't know if that helps you. the longer the timeline is tho the more 'scrolling' alon it you have to do to arrive at a particular 'time' on it.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Merv1947 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Mt Cotton, Queensland, Australia Joined: May 25, 2014 21:16 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi James, thanks for prompt reply.

No, that's not the query I asked. When I drag out (or stretch) the timeline to show the graduations in seconds, the graduations are not marked for each second. Each mark is about 75% of a second, or about 37 frames (on a 50fps timeline).

Is there any way to get the timeline ruler marks to show the mark for each second? I'll post a picture of the timeline if I'm not making it clear with words.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2014 00:03

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi James, thanks for prompt reply.

No, that's not the query I asked. When I drag out (or stretch) the timeline to show the graduations in seconds, the graduations are not marked for each second. Each mark is about 75% of a second, or about 37 frames (on a 50fps timeline).

Is there any way to get the timeline ruler marks to show the mark for each second? I'll post a picture of the timeline if I'm not making it clear with words.

I think you could be on to something

I have never noticed it before.

On my screesnhot the ruler/marker says 3.14 secs and the actual time is 4 secs!
[Thumb - PD12 Timeline time.png]
 Filename
PD12 Timeline time.png
[Disk]
 Description
PD12 Timeline ruler/marker error
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
218 time(s)
Merv1947 [Avatar]
[Post New]

(Hope this shows OK) Here's a one second blank clip on timeline. Notice that the timeline ruler mark does not line up with one second. It is about 75% of a second, or about 37 frames on a 50fps timeline.

Even if I change the timeline to 25fps, the second marks still do not align.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jun 02. 2014 00:54

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
(Hope this shows OK) Here's a one second blank clip on timeline. Notice that the timeline ruler mark does not line up with one second. It is about 75% of a second, or about 37 frames on a 50fps timeline.
Even ifI change the timeline to 25fps, the second marks still do not align.
Any help appreciated, thanks.

Oh I see

That's normal as just below it on Track 2 is a Grab Handle that reveals the name of the tracks.

I thought you meant what I posted earlier

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2014 01:23

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Merv. I think the issue is that PD, for whatever reason, doesn't always delineate the timeline into frame-friendly units. In your clip that appears to show the blank clip as ~0.75 seconds - I think your estimate is based on the clip not quite reaching the first mark and you've assumed that each tick mark represents a full second.

But that's not correct, because the tick marks are not spaced 1 second apart! In fact, it looks like those tick marks represent 5 ticks for every 3 seconds, or 0.6sec each, so the timeline actually IS correct

The frame counter and the flyover pop-up are accurate, and that's where you should look to accurately determine your timeline location.

In essence, the timescale that PD happened to draw at that particular zoom level is based on a fixed spacing across the window, NOT on x number of frames or seconds

If you were to zoom in more, the timeline would be redrawn with 1 frame per tick mark, or if you zoomed in even further, you'd see 1 tick mark for each sub-frame, which is 1/10th of a frame (at any frame rate).

I think many people would be happy to see a timeline based on coherent, usable numbers, and perhaps they will include that functionality in PD13. For now, it's probably better to treat the timeline ticks as relative, meaning that they are useful but won't always give you the numeric info you're looking for.

BTW, you can go to ANY point in your entire project or individual clip with 1-frame-accuracy by typing the location directly in the frame counter below the preview window. This also works inside every window (PiP, Title, Keyframe, etc.) and is the best and quickest way to get to any exact spot.

I hope this helps!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Merv1947 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: ... I think many people would be happy to see a timeline based on coherent, usable numbers, and perhaps they will include that functionality in PD13. For now, it's probably better to treat the timeline ticks as relative, meaning that they are useful but won't always give you the numeric info you're looking for ...

Yes, that's what I was attempting to convey. It's simply about timeline ruler markers showing exact seconds (when dragged out to that particular ruler view). Hopefully the pics below of a "one second" clip on other editors will show exactly what I mean.

Please don't think I'm criticizing the excellent PD12, as a new user I wouldn't have the audacity to do that. It will just take a while to adjust to the timeline ruler not showing exact "second" marks (00:00:01.00) after using it on others for 16 years and I just wanted to find out if it was normal - or if my PD12 had been configured wrong by this new user. :

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 02. 2014 03:54

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have referred the thread and issue back to CyberLink for investigation. Merv1947, don't be concerned about posting the issue, your excellent input and participation is most welcome. Let's hope the problem is fixable.
Dafydd
Forum Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2014 05:15