Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Incredibly slow encoding
ProStreetCamaro [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2014 14:13 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I just installed PD 12 and am running into some issues. In vegas pro 12 I can encode a 15 minute MP4 video in about 15 minutes at 1980X1080 30fps at 16Mbps. In PD 12 it is taking just shy of 2 hours with the same settings. I have tried with cpu only and with intel quick sync and they are both about the same. It also will not allow me to select SVRT. I click on intelligent SCRT and the windows pops open and it is selected but the apply button is greyed out. Only thing it allows me to do is select intel quick sync at the bottom. All drivers are fully up to date and windows is fully up to date. Kind of at a loss here.

Windows 7 X64
Intel 2600K at 4.5Ghz
16GB DDR3 1600
256GB Vertex 4 SSD as primary
3TB WD Black storage
AMD R9 290X Graphics card
System is water cooled with a custom loop
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
ProStreetCamaro,
welcome to the forum.
It's unusual to have that slow render time.
Could you go to the top of the 12 forum and see the stickies? Please provide Part A and Part B for us to look at.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page
Maybe that will shed some light. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ProStreetCamaro [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here you go.

Filename
dx.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
217 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2014 16:31

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Yikes! Nice machine.
I see no issues that jump out at me.
There are a few hardware "experts" here, I'll bet someone can shed a little light here.
You might be asked a few more questions.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2014 16:55

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ProStreetCamaro [Avatar]
[Post New]
It is really strange. If I do not do any post processing and just want to re encode a video it goes quick and also allows me to select svrt. But if I do anything at all like adjust the color then it is incredibly slow.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
some of the modules within PD are still the 32Bit version (I think) so some activities may be slower. That said you have two graphic cards installed?
This is what I am referring to from the DX posted
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0122&SUBSYS_01221849&REV_09
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
This may be the problem if you are running two monitors.
Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2014 17:45

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
ProStreetCamaro [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
some of the modules within PD are still the 32Bit version (I think) so some activities may be slower. That said you have two graphic cards installed?
This is what I am referring to from the DX posted
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0122&SUBSYS_01221849&REV_09
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
This may be the problem if you are running two monitors.
Jim

The R9 290x is the main graphics and the Intel 3000 is built into the 2600K cpu. That is the one that is used for intel quick sync. I only have one monitor connected.

Here is a video showing whats going on.

http://youtu.be/TQi4ZaeJ8t0
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I am not that technically knowledgeable but I have experimented using various settings. I Preferences (PD) disable shadow files and hardware acceleration and test. On my system (which is listed on signature) I find disabling the shadow file reduces ( and eliminates) some of that jerky ness.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: It is really strange. If I do not do any post processing and just want to re encode a video it goes quick and also allows me to select svrt. But if I do anything at all like adjust the color then it is incredibly slow.

Hi,

Your AMD R9 is plenty fast enough. You should not be seeing an option for the Intel Quicksync since the R9 should be in use.
Re-check your graphics card settings. Device Manager > Display Adapters. Make sure the AMD card is being used as the main graphics card. Check your Catalyst settings and so on.

Also about the SVRT / Hardware acceleration
Have you seen the following tutorial ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPY6iY5Qxs

See the Description under the video for a text summary of what is supported for each video card.

Had a look at your YouTube video and it is too small to see what some of the details are (YT seems to be having some sort of issues right now.) You might want to grab a software screen capture program- such as Bandicam or Camstudio etc. Also a look at your EDIT screen at your timeline clips with the SVRT track enable (right click on timeline and select "Show SVRT track" to see the green / red bars) would be helpful.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote: I just installed PD 12 and am running into some issues. In vegas pro 12 I can encode a 15 minute MP4 video in about 15 minutes at 1980X1080 30fps at 16Mbps. In PD 12 it is taking just shy of 2 hours with the same settings.

SAME SETTINGS?
Quote: It is really strange. If I do not do any post processing and just want to re encode a video it goes quick and also allows me to select svrt. But if I do anything at all like adjust the color then it is incredibly slow.
In one post, you say same settings, in the next you say "ADJUST COLOR".
When you adjust the color, is that for the full length of the video, or most of the video?
Color, stabilizer, FX, any alteration of the video will cause render times to go way up.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2014 22:58

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ProStreetCamaro [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I just installed PD 12 and am running into some issues. In vegas pro 12 I can encode a 15 minute MP4 video in about 15 minutes at 1980X1080 30fps at 16Mbps. In PD 12 it is taking just shy of 2 hours with the same settings.

SAME SETTINGS?
In one post, you say same settings, in the next you say "ADJUST COLOR".
When you adjust the color, is that for the full length of the video, or most of the video?
Color, stabilizer, FX, any alteration of the video will cause render times to go way up.

Same encode settings and I adjusted the contrast and brightness of the video in both programs. I even went ahead and installed windows 8.1 last night (completely fresh install, been meaning to do it for a while anyway) and updated everything and same issue still. It is a darn shame because I like the simplicity of PD and the layout much better than vegas so I would really like to get this working correctly. I am going to throw windows 7 back on a spare SSD I have and dual boot. One way or the other I intend to figure this out!

Here is a better video showing the settings I choose. It also shows the non existent gpu usage and only 30 to 40% cpu usage.

http://youtu.be/Sw13piWuBD4

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 30. 2014 09:34

ProStreetCamaro [Avatar]
[Post New]
ColorDirector 2 is going faster than powerdirector but still slow. It is however using 100% of my cpu. Still does not seem to be using my gpu at all. I am now dual booting win 7 X64 and win 8.1 X64 both fresh installs and both fully updated and it encodes nice and slow on both.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: One way or the other I intend to figure this out!

I don't think there is much to "figure out" in the sense that some PD setting or system adjustment will help. I believe it's simply the way PD works. The contrast/brightness is a CPU task. Based on some monitoring, I believe why the large slowness occurs is that when one adds the contrast and brightness correction, PD probably uses a single CPU core for this adjustment. So this becomes the drag. In the grand scheme, it won't matter if one uses HA encoding or CPU encoding, the CPU computations for the adjustment being done simply becomes the dominant bottleneck resulting in long produce times.

There might be some relief with PD 2726 patch, the statement "*Improves CPU usage and performance when producing video with ColorDirector adjustments applied." It appears to highlight only Colordirector vs more simple adjustments applied in PD itself. It helps simple contrast/brightness adjustment in PD for me relative to release 2420, like a 2x benefit, makes little benefit when same adjustment is done in CD. Not sure what the release bullet claims to have corrected, on my box, it appears the opposite. For both CPU and HA encoding I get significant improvement when contrast/brightness is applied in PD vs CD. Significantly better CPU utilization in 2726, like the adjustment its now multi-core in PD.

Just curious, ProStreetCamaro, is your monitor plugged into the mother board video port or your AMD R9 290x PCI card port? The fact that you are seeing QS in produce either tells me you have the monitor connected to the MB or depending on which MB you have, you have your BIOS configured uniquely.

Jeff
ProStreetCamaro [Avatar]
[Post New]
You DA MAN Jeff!

I did not even realize there was an update. After the update I went from 1hr45min to 3min Now that is what I am talking about! Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Quote:
Quote: One way or the other I intend to figure this out!

I don't think there is much to "figure out" in the sense that some PD setting or system adjustment will help. I believe it's simply the way PD works. The contrast/brightness is a CPU task. Based on some monitoring, I believe why the large slowness occurs is that when one adds the contrast and brightness correction, PD probably uses a single CPU core for this adjustment. So this becomes the drag. In the grand scheme, it won't matter if one uses HA encoding or CPU encoding, the CPU computations for the adjustment being done simply becomes the dominant bottleneck resulting in long produce times.

There might be some relief with PD 2726 patch, the statement "*Improves CPU usage and performance when producing video with ColorDirector adjustments applied." It appears to highlight only Colordirector vs more simple adjustments applied in PD itself. It helps simple contrast/brightness adjustment in PD for me relative to release 2420, like a 2x benefit, makes little benefit when same adjustment is done in CD. Not sure what the release bullet claims to have corrected, on my box, it appears the opposite. For both CPU and HA encoding I get significant improvement when contrast/brightness is applied in PD vs CD. Significantly better CPU utilization in 2726, like the adjustment its now multi-core in PD.

Just curious, ProStreetCamaro, is your monitor plugged into the mother board video port or your AMD R9 290x PCI card port? The fact that you are seeing QS in produce either tells me you have the monitor connected to the MB or depending on which MB you have, you have your BIOS configured uniquely.

Jeff