Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Unable to capture from Camcorder
Arthur [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 03, 2008 09:56 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I am a newbie and cannot seem to capture DV footage from my Panasonic NV-GS400 connected to PD 7 via Firewire.

I am using automatic batch capture with scene detection and get the Quick Scan Step 1 window which "captures " - in my example - 214 intervals from the 1hr tape.
It then refreshes the thumbnails and enters Step 2 - Check the batch intervals to be batch captured.
All the thumbnails are ticked with a red checkmark but when I click Start to begin capturing it then says 0/214 intervals captured and I am stuck.
I also find in Step 2 that Click play to preview DV draft content does not do anything, assuming the ll and triangle on its side is the play button.

I realise this is very basic but it is not intuitive to me and any help would be miuch appreciated.

One final point, I have printed off the User's Guide and looked at the Help topics but I cannot find any reference to Quick Scan. Is there a more comprhensive manual available that would save me posting here?
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Arthur,

PD7 does seem to have a problem with scene detection during capture, with me it starts looping at the first scene change.

The only way I can capture is to set preferences to Detect Scenes after Capture, or Do not detect scenes, in this case you would detect scenes after it has been imported into PD7.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Arthur [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Robert

Many thanks for your suggestion but all the capture preferences result in failure to capture.

I notice that the Quick Scan screens are all exactly the same no matter what capture preference is chosen which hardly seems right?

Any further suggestions would be gratefully received.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I've just carried out a quick test of the batch capture process to try and localise the issue you've raised here, Arthur. I found the initial attempt to get beyond the red tick failed... PD7 didn't start the Batch Capture. I then tried a couple more times and failed. I then opted to untick one item (which I didn't need) after identifying it. I started again and the Batch capture to a DVD HQ proceeded without a hitch.... and is capturing as I write.

Batch capture isn't a method I use but it is effective to identify scenes using the timecode and to eliminate scenes which are not needed.

QuickScan is used to log the contents of a DV tape so you can quickly run through it as though flicking through the index of a reference book.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2008 06:28

Arthur [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Dafydd

Many thanks for your input but unticking one or a number of intervals makes no difference to me, I still get nothing captured. Is there anything I am missing? Should the tape be rewound back to the beginning after step 2?

I was interested in your remark that batch capture is not a method you use. What would you recommend in my case with DV tapes in more or less the correct sequence and mostly reduction in length/deletion of duff footage and transitions being required.

I thought - admittedly for reading some time ago - scene detection on batch capture was the the best method for DV footage capture.

Arthur
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Arthur,

I actually think there is an issue in the batch capture process and I will need to write this up and send off to CyberLink.

Please try the alternative method and capture all the footage as Dv Avi and use scene detection to either segment during capture or scene split with time-code recognition.

Edit>Preferences>capture tab - see the selection and decide.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 04. 2008 08:12

Arthur [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd

Thanks for your quick response but no joy - changed the Profile settings to DV AVI and used scene detection on capture preference but 0/214 intervals captured.

I should be somewhat mollified that it's the program not me being stupid!

As I said, it's a few years since I delved into digital editing and it is only the build up of DV tapes that has at last pushed me into doing something.
Although I have a copy of Vegas 5, I decided to purchase PD7 on the basis of excellent reviews and in the hope that there would not be such a steep learning curve and there would be adequate advanced features for me to use as my abilities improved.
You will understand that it is a bit depressing that I cannot even get off the starting line.

How do others capture DV tapes? Surely I'm not alone with this problem?

Any help gratefully acknowledged.

Arthur
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Arthur,

I wasn't clear enough with what I wrote, sorry about that.
1. Change the Preference settings to " During capture, detect scenes by time code and then save each scene as a separate file [DV-VCD mode only]".
1-1 In Preferences change the Export Directory under the File tab
1-2 Check the firewire connection, PC to Camera
2. Go to Capture mode,
2-1 Select Camera icon
3. Check the Export address or "Change Folder"
4. Set Profile (Dv avi or DVD HQ)
5. Rewind your tape to the point you want to start.
6. Click the red button to record.

Scenes will come in....

Hope that helps

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2008 10:59

Arthur [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd

Sorry, but I need to ask for futher illumination.
1. I have already set this as you outline (DV-VCR) Presumably VCD in your post is a typo?
1.1 Change my Export Directory to what? Both Import and Export Directory is to a folder on a second hard disk on the PC which I have called PoweDirector Media.
1.2 Check firewire. Not sure what you mean but Quick Scan downloads all the scenes for a tape.
2.1 Yes I do that.
3 Beside Change Folder it read F:\PowerDirector Media
4 The only choice I have is AVI (or MPEG-1 or 2) which results in the other widows defaulting to DV and DV-AVI Standard Format.

It is with these settings that I have tried and failed to capture.

Is there anyting else I should do?

Arthur
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Typo, yes it is....banana fingers again!

Export and Import Directory. the Import Directory is not fixed as it changes when you look for a still image from a new source. The Export Directory is fixed unless you change it as implied. basically this is the location you want your files written to. I would select a sub-directory (new folder) of the route you indicated.

I'm concerned you cant capture and I'm wonder what your "F" drive is. Can you alter this to a C drive location just for a short capture.

Everything else you stated appears fine except the capture.

Please shut down your computer - restart
Connect the firewire to your PC
Switch on the camera
Locate PD
Capture
Select the icon to the top far left (camera icon)
And try again.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2008 12:43

Arthur [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd

The F drive is a second internal hard drive on the PC. I thought it was better to edit on a separate drive.

However, I set up a new folder on the C drive called PowerDirector Projects with a sub-folder called Test which I made the Export Directory.

I then did as per your instructions, clicked on automatic batch capture and ran the tape for 10 mins and saw the scenes come into the Quick Scan window but when I went on to try to capture these scenes I still got zero capture.

I've now tried about 8 times with no luck and to preserve my sanity will leave it until tomorrow morning!

Thanks for your interest and will await your further thoughts tomorrow.

Arthur
Brent [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 28, 2008 17:07 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd,

this is the exact issue I have having. I am making these changes and see what happends.

thanks
Brent

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2008 20:51