Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error 80040216
RandyF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 28, 2008 15:50 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I always get internal error 80040216, when starting a DVD-Video. Even reinstalling PowerDVD didn't solve the problem.
Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
It's the known bug of PDVD8.
CL support provide us the info.
PDVD RD is trying to fix it.

Could you check the Windows hardware acceleration status in your environment.?

1. Go to Display property setting page.
2.Go to advanced page.
3.Go to Troubleshoot page.
4.Check the Hardware acceleration status.
Gary [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 03, 2008 20:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am also having this error.

I am running Windows XP SP2 on a Dell Latitude D830 laptop.

My default screen resolution was 1600 x 1200. I reduced this to 1024 x 768 and still had the problem.

My video hardware acceleration was set to "full". I reduced this to "none" and still had the problem.

I cannot play any DVDs. (These are all "store bought" DVDs).

sytyguy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 10, 2008 07:04 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I just installed Powerdvd V8, and I am getting the same error code on all DVD's I attempt to play, including some I created from my camcoder.

Oh, and they all play with version 6.0

My video hardware acceleration was set to "none"

I am running XP pro SP 3.

Anyone come up with an solution? I submitted a ticket to Support, but don't expect to hear from them for a couple of days.
cheryl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 01, 2009 19:56 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I was having this error for a long time, trying to figure out.

In my search, I had found:
It seems to be an issue with SP3.
someone mentioned they could go in and play the .vob file but that was it..
uninstalling and reinstalling does not work
changing hardware acceleration does not work.

I long since gave up on the search, even later changed my hard drive (yes even on new HD it was giving this error), but my windows media player kept giving me a copyright protection code error, and one of the fixes was to reinstall my video driver. Or install a decoder (seems to mean the only way windows media will play movies is if you have other dvd software installed - this way it can read from it).

So I:
*upgraded my video driver. I have a HP Nc6000 ATI mobility radeon 32mb card.
*also had bought a dvdrw drive so I put that one in
*was told by windows media I had to change my region the dvd player itself was set on region 2

Retried windows media - still again got the copyright code error, decided wth Ill try loading powerdvd again AND IT STARTED

So I dont know which one of the 3 above resolved the issue for PowerDVD, and hopefully it wont come back.

Still working on windows media LOL but I know so many had issues with PowerDVD I wanted to suggest these potential fixes.

sytyguy [Avatar]
[Post New]
The fix for me was upgrading the ATI drivers, and upgrading PowerDvd.
Ryan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2009 17:31 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I get this error, too. All DVD's I've tried. Win XP SP3. Latest ATI drivers and latest build of PowerDVD. <Shrug> My other DVD playing software works fine, including Nero Showtime and Windows Media Player.

BD Advisor 2.0 shows some things I wasn't expecting to see, which I'm not sure if they are related as they have to do with BD playback. I'm not trying to playback BD media here. Anyway, BD Advisor says that my system is not HDCP compliant despite running a Radeon HD 3850 PCI-e graphics card and a new LG W2252TQ 22" LCD panel connected via DVI-D. CPU is an Intel Core2Quad Q6600 at stock speed of 2.4GHz. I've got 6GB of RAM installed, though I'm primarily only running Win XP 32-bit (I have a dual-boot setup where I sometimes run Ubuntu 64-bit and Win 7 Beta 64-bit), so Windows only uses 2GB. I've enabled the /3GB command in my boot.ini to bump the memory usage to 3GB, but BD Advisor still only reports 2GB available. As far as I'm aware, the only thing I need for BD playback on my machine is the drive, which I don't have yet, but I'm getting this error with regular DVD's. Just thought this seemed odd, because I was under the impression that the Radeon HD 3850 was capable of BD playback. It's one of the reasons I chose the card.
cheryl [Avatar]
[Post New]
How much video memory do you have?

On my computer, I had 3 different options for graphics drivers - before you upgraded did you check what version you had just to make sure you were upgraded and not reinstalling same? If so, maybe a downgrade would work in your case.

If other things are playing your media than it definitely rules out your DVD Rom.

There are patches on Cyberlink that mention BD... these might help:
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_33_en_US.html

Also doing a search on the error I found this page:
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=6696&prodId=1&prodVerId=-1 Third option shows a link to a patch.
Ryan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: How much video memory do you have?

On my computer, I had 3 different options for graphics drivers - before you upgraded did you check what version you had just to make sure you were upgraded and not reinstalling same? If so, maybe a downgrade would work in your case.

If other things are playing your media than it definitely rules out your DVD Rom.

There are patches on Cyberlink that mention BD... these might help:
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_33_en_US.html

Also doing a search on the error I found this page:
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=6696&prodId=1&prodVerId=-1 Third option shows a link to a patch.

This card is running with 256MB. Definitely not top of the line, but it's sufficient for other DVD playing apps and I can playback 1080p MPEG-4 video in Windows Media Player without any hiccups.

My video drivers were definitely upgraded. I was previously running ATI Catalyst 8.12. Updated to Catalyst 9.2 and still having the same problems.

The ATI cards are all running the same drivers, regardless of the amount of video memory installed. The Catalyst driver set is a unified driver set that functions with all Radeon family cards. ATI's website points to older Catalyst sets for older cards sometimes for a couple of reasons. 1. Newer drivers are no longer optimized for the older cards. They usually will still work, but performance may actually be worse due to the lack in optimization, as well as new bugs that may be introduced. 2. They may not bother to update the links anymore because the older cards no longer are officially supported.
cheryl [Avatar]
[Post New]
So have you tried downgrading instead?
256mb is a lot for video memory, if thats what you are referring to - I only have 32mb (wah)

Have you tried the patches?

Theres also the possibility of downgrading to SP2 - not many want to do that option though...but those who did found it was working again.
Ryan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: So have you tried downgrading instead?
256mb is a lot for video memory, if thats what you are referring to - I only have 32mb (wah)

Have you tried the patches?

Theres also the possibility of downgrading to SP2 - not many want to do that option though...but those who did found it was working again.

Downgrading is not an option. I have other software that only works reliably on the last two video driver releases and I will not sacrifice system security by uninstalling SP3 just for DVD playing software when I have other software that will work without issues.

I fear that PowerDVD 8 is probably dead in the water now that they've released PowerDVD 9. Especially annoyed since I just bought the DVD Suite Ultra at the end of January, spending over $100 for the package. Nero will often have a grace period for people that recently purchased the old version to get a free ugrade to the new version. It seems Cyberlink doesn't have a similar policy. The bugginess I'm experiencing combined with an obnoxious upgrade policy means this will likely be the last Cyberlink software I purchase unless it comes as a bundled package with other hardware I may buy in the future. The last two versions of Nero have been problematic, too, and I'm reluctant to go back to them (it's why I bought the Cyberlink Suite, afterall).
byron [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2009 14:58 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
It's not an issue with SP3, it's all Cyberlink's buggy software. Don't try uninstalling, deleting regedit and a clean install. This will only crash your system. Once you get it running again it will crash your firewall. Had to reinstall McAfee twice.

Can't Cyberlink employees afford computers with a blu ray drive to beta test their own software?

They need to take all download links off their site until the problem is corrected.

I'm going over to Nero and get their trial, if it has a great pic and runs well..goodbye Cyberlink.
Adam [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 29, 2006 10:38 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
Nero 9 doesn't support Blu-ray playback, and version 8 never played back half the discs that were released
sytyguy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, I found the instructions support had me perform:

1. Uninstall PowerDVD using the steps below:

I. Reboot PC

II. Install Microsoft cleanup tool and clean PowerDVD installation informaiton:

Install Microsoft cleanup tool and execute from "Start\all programs\WindowsInstaller Cleanup" To check if PowerDVD is on product list, If you can see PowerDVD in product list. Select PowerDVD[8.00] and click "Remove" button to clean up PowerDVD.

Microsoft cleanup tool:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

III. Remove PowerDVD folder and clean up PowerDVD Registry:

a. Rename "PowerDVD8" Folder to "PowerDVD8-old"
The original PowerDVD Folder Path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD8

b. Remove C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information{2BF2E31F-B8BB-40A7-B650-98D28E0F7D47}folder
(This is a hidden folder. Please enable "show hidden files and folders" under\Windows Explorer\organize\Folder and search options\view\Hidden files and folders)

c.Run regedit (Start\All Programs\Accessories\Run\regedit)

(1) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDVD8

(2) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{2BF2E31F-B8BB-40A7-B650-98D28E0F7D47}

(3) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information\{2BF2E31F-B8BB-40A7-B650-98D28E0F7D47}

(4) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{2BF2E31F-B8BB-40A7-B650-98D28E0F7D47}

IV. Reboot PC again

V. Delete PowerDVD folder
(We changed the original PowerDVD folder name at step III.a.)
Del C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD8-old

VI. Re-install PowerDVD 8.0 software and again try to use it.

This worked for me after installing the update to the ATI drivers.

HTH