Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Shimmering Effect - Motion across still photo
philwizzer123 [Avatar]
Member Location: Kent UK Joined: Dec 31, 2013 08:42 Messages: 62 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Everyone
What's the name of the shimmering type effect you sometimes get when you introduce motion to a still photo?

It doesn't appear when I'm putting the project together but when I produce the video.

I know it's called something and I think there's a way of reducing or getting rid of the effect.

Can someone help please?

Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Everyone
What's the name of the shimmering type effect you sometimes get when you introduce motion to a still photo?

It doesn't appear when I'm putting the project together but when I produce the video.

I know it's called something and I think there's a way of reducing or getting rid of the effect.

Can someone help please?

Thanks

There is a couple of artifacts that show sometimes.

1. Interlacing. It makes alternating offset lines top to bottom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video#Problems_caused_by_interlacing

2. Moiré pattern. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

philwizzer123 [Avatar]
Member Location: Kent UK Joined: Dec 31, 2013 08:42 Messages: 62 Offline
[Post New]
Yes I think it's interlacing thanks. Is there a way to stop/avoid it?

Thanks
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
You can experiment with various blur and neutral density effects (EFFECTS room) - dropping them onto the clip.

Plugins to minimize moiré may also be available??

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15. 2014 17:21

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Yes I think it's interlacing thanks. Is there a way to stop/avoid it?

Thanks

you can check if the interlacing is top field first or bottom field first.

Normally interlacing is top field first. Sometimes some encoders will encode bottom field first, which makes the interlacing more prominent. ( worse ).

Quality of the original video has an effect also. You do want to keep the same field order if you can.

Standard definition TV is always interlaced. It is common to interlacing at times in SD TV.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15. 2014 17:24

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.