Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
fade transitions freezing!!
DGP23 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2013 17:22 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
recently started using power director 12 and I mostly use the fade transition between clips. At first it worked fine but now my clips are freezing just before they fade out. with another editing program that happened if the clip ended and you coulkd trim it down a bit, but that doesnt help here, anyone got any ideas? thanks, Glenn
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: At first it worked fine but now my clips are freezing just before they fade out.

Shortening the dissolve length will lessen the impact of a CROSSFADE freeze. In that mode, as the dissolve begins the TO image is frozen until the halfway mark. Then the TO motion commences and the FROM clip freezes until the effect is complete. That's the nature of the beast.

You can get rid of the freeze entirely by choosing the OVERLAP mode. EDIT|PREFS|EDITING to set the default. Or right click on the effect and make a one-time change there by clicking on "modify transition behavior." Be aware that the overlap mode changes the length of the clips involved. CROSS does not.

Or you can place the two clips on different tracks and use keyframes to set opacity: as the FROM goes to black the TO fades up.

HELP for "transitions" has the explanation.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 04. 2013 13:03

DGP23 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2013 17:22 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you, Id actually just worked out that Id inadvertantly set my default to cross last night, hense the problem. Was going to post my mistake on here, but thanks for the answer. I havent tried using keyframes yet. Is there any advice / tutorials on this anywhere? Thanks again, Glenn
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I haven't tried using keyframes yet. Is there any advice / tutorials on this anywhere? Thanks again, Glenn

Search the WEB for "PowerDirector keyframes" and you will come upon several tutorials. Some are for earlier PD versions, but the same principles apply.

In the illustration below two stills area overlapped on separate video tracks.
The first is double-clicked (same as clicking on MODIFY) to bring up the PIP designer.
Clicking on the small diamond to the left of the OPACITY field creates a keyframe.

At the left is the OPACITY slider (scroll down to see it)...
Move the scrubber (the red vertical bar) to the right by a second or so, then set opacity to zero. That creates a second keyframe.
Preview the effect. You will see that as opacity decreases the first track fades and the second pops on.

Double-click that track and set the keyframes just the opposite of the first track - starting at zero opacity, then rising to 100% at the second keyframe, about a second later. Thus, track one fades out as overlapping track two fades in.

Experiment. Keep in mind that the distance between keyframes determines how quickly the action - opacity or any other - will occur. Note the line with dots in each clip. That line graphically displays the opacity level and keyframes. You can drag that line and its keyframe dots to alter opacity and timings - just as you can in the PIP designer.

[Thumb - 1111.JPG]
 Filename
1111.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
344 time(s)

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Oct 04. 2013 21:55

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Bogus1, those 2 images you chose...AWESOME! HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Alf aims to please, Barry. ^-)
[Post New]
Quote: recently started using power director 12 and I mostly use the fade transition between clips. At first it worked fine but now my clips are freezing just before they fade out. with another editing program that happened if the clip ended and you coulkd trim it down a bit, but that doesnt help here, anyone got any ideas? thanks, Glenn

And common PD12 stumble during the transition when the preview, however after rendering should play normally.
Besides the transitions shown in PD12 was added the option overlay video, drag the video over another, see image

[Thumb - crofader.png]
 Filename
crofader.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
273 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 05. 2013 11:46

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB