Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ac3 files
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
I can't seem to find anywhere whether ac3 files can be imported to PD12, anyone know how or if ? Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi kingsmeadow -

Here's the list of supported formats (but you knew that) - http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/spec_en_US.html

PD12, here, will happily import video files with AC3 audio format. Producing to AVC H.264 with 5.1 audio delivers a video with AC3 audio (according to MediaInfo).

BUT PD12 will not import a standalone AC3 audio file. In fact, it doesn't even "see" them unless you select "All Files". Then all you get is "An error occurred when opening..."

Someone who understands that may be able to explain it for you.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2013 15:20

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Tony, it is strange.

It seems to me that the difference is AC3 as part of a recognized video file is fine, but the stand alone Audio is not.

PD knows how to decode the audio portion of a Video file but has no idea how to decode a AC3 formatted Audio file.

If you have a Video with AC3 audio and you extract audio, you get a WAV audio file.

Attached is a zip file with six common audio format audio files, audio sample is from a royalty free CD I bought.

These are very good for find out what stand alone audio formats a program will play.
If you have k-lite codec pack installed, Windows Media Player will play all to these files.

Filename
Test Audio formats.zip
[Disk]
 Description
Audio test files
 Filesize
2159 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
339 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 17. 2013 20:18

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
As a side note, whilst WaveEditor won't even look at AC3 files, AudioDirector imports standalome AC3 after selecting "All Files".

AC3 is not listed as a compatible format for ADR http://www.cyberlink.com/products/audiodirector/spec_en_US.html

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks everyone for all the info..I do find it interesting that a video containing an ac3 will be accepted but a stand alone will not. I would like to think that Cyberlink will put that on the things to do list for the next release or even an update

I have the tools to create ac3 format so I can try various ideas but haven't found any tricks thus far.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2013 02:40

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready