Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is there a way to change the default duration of the "Fade" effect?
Neki [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2013 22:19 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Running - PD11-U (In case this matters).
Effect Description - Please note that I'm not asking about the "Fade in" and "Fade out" effects, but rather the "Fade" effect that applies a fading transition between videos and pictures, namely Overlap Transition, Cross Transition, Prefix Transition and Postfix Transition.
Location within PD11 - "Fade" is located in: Transition Room tab/2D/Fade
Video - I've added a short video which shows the location of the Fade effect in PD11, in case that the info about Fade I provided above, in Effect Description and Location within PD11, lacks in depth or isn't phrased clearly to get a proper answer. After all English isn't my native language, so here's the video:

Question - Is there an option or some other (unconventional) way to preset the duration of the Fade effect before it is inserted into the Timeline of the project, or is its duration fixed? If you ever used it, you may have noticed that its default duration is 2 seconds, and it can only be manually changed after it's inserted into the Timeline. If it is inserted multiple times, the duration of the Fade effect has to be adjusted individually each time it is placed between <two clips>. The "Apply fading transition to all videos" is a handy option; however, if there are many clips in the Timeline it can be frustrating having to adjust each "fade" individually, and on top of that any clips shorter than 5-6 seconds almost get swallowed by the 2 seconds-long "fade" effect on each side, making the two "fades" hardly noticeable and easily overlooked on the Timeline, and almost inaccessible unless the Timeline is zoomed almost all the way in, in order to make adjustments to the durations of both "swallowing fades".
So, is there a way to "create" a duplicate of Fade effect, add it to ie. My Favorites, then edit the duplicate's duration now that it's separate, and then insert it into the Timeline using one of the few methods available.

A bit more info regarding my question - If changing the duration of the Fade effect isn't possible, you can probably skip this part.
For example, right now I'm in the process of making numerous short video compilations out of raw unedited in-game footage from a PC game that my brother and I play together, which is consisted of many short clips, most no more than ~5 seconds long. Now, the compilations' dynamic needs to be A) fast paced, B) smooth flowing, and C) with seamless transition between clips. Sticking to these criteria I went through PD's effects and ruled out ~95% of them as they don't meet one or more of the desired criteria for varying reasons. Of ~5% of the remaining effects, I found that (only) Fade's barely noticeable smooth and short (when adjusted manually) transition doesn't disrupt the flow when having many clips stacked one after the other, with each lasting just 5-10 seconds, and each being fast-paced (read: action packed with lots of shooting, movement, funny and serious dialogs, plenty of laughs etc.), and it also prevents the quick-chaotic succession of clips from feeling disjoint, but rather as a single scene sometimes. So, for this project it would be brilliant if I could set Fade to last ie. 0.5 seconds and then insert it into the Timeline via one of the few methods available.

Many thanks in advance,
Rattle

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 11. 2013 03:21

[Post New]
If what I thought is very simple to do, you can change the default time for all transitions in Edit menu / Preferences / Editing / Transitions
see image.

[Thumb - transtimedefault.jpg]
 Filename
transtimedefault.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2577 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 11. 2013 07:43

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Neki [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2013 22:19 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, just wow. As unbelievable as it may seem, I never saw the field that you kindly pointed out to me. Having searched dozens of times through Preferences from top to bottom I must've looked at the Transition setting many times but never saw it, and I became totally convinced that there is no such option in PD, obviously unaware that the bloody thing was starring at me the entire time, from the most obvious place. What's worse, I would probably never find it on my own as it would never cross my mind to go search through Preferences again. Therefore, you helped me tremendously! Thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 11. 2013 11:56

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Wow, just wow. As unbelievable as it may seem, I never saw the field that you kindly pointed out to me. Having searched dozens of times through Preferences from top to bottom I must've looked at the Transition setting many times but never saw it, and I became totally convinced that there is no such option in PD, obviously unaware that the bloody thing was starring at me the entire time, from the most obvious place. What's worse, I would probably never find it on my own as it would never cross my mind to go search through Preferences again. Therefore, you helped me tremendously! Thank you.

Hi Neki,
Well, I've a "wow" to. I was impressed with the way you presented the issue and your follow up.
Good to have you on the forum and for your video to be displayed here.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 12. 2013 08:08

xX Isaac Cox Xx [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2012 20:45 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I don't understand why whenever I change the transition to a time I want, it comes out with another time. For example, 0.7 seconds is the default time I want, but when I drag the fader on an image it turns to 1.17. The closest can find it 0.3 which turns to 0.8, a second out from what I want. I can't understand why these things always have to be so difficult for something so minor.