Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Pixel Blocks on 2 out of 3 DVD burn
BroDon316
Member Location: Landenberg, PA Joined: Jun 23, 2013 09:55 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
When I burn DVDs of project made from a master project, DVD 1 burns great, DVD 2 and 3 have pixilation every second or so for the entire length of the burned DVDs.

I took a 2 hour 35 minute set of clips and edited them first as one big project. Clip source is from a Canon 6D set at HD-30fps

Then I proceeded to make 3 discs, 1 and 2 are about 1 hour, with disc 3 about 35 minutes. For disc 1 I simply deleted the material for dics 2 and 3, saved as a new project and then burned at a burn speed of 3.0, with folder creation.

Then re-opened the master project and deleted material for Disc 1 and 3 to make Disc 2. I did the same process to make Disc 3.

As each DVD had a lot of subtitles, I then added the subtitles to each of the smaller D-x projects for final. At the end of each step I made a new project called D-1, D-2 and D-3. I then used these D-x projects to burn the DVDs. For D-1 I used the edited master project, but the other two were from their saved project files only.

To burn each disc, other than setting at no menue, changing the DVD name, and resetting the burn speed each time to 3.0, I did Disc 2 and 3 the same as Disc 1. Burn times for D-1 and D-2 were about 1.5 hours, with D-3 at about .75 hour.

For each burn of Disc 2 and 3, PD11 tells me it is deleting the folder made from the previous burn. So I made a new folder location that would not overwrite the D-1 folder, but it made no difference, still got the pixilation.

Throughout I did not start any other programs on the computer, so other than start-up garbage, there were no other programs running.

Disc 1 is perfect, Discs 2 and 3 have pixilation throughout. I shut down and restarted the computer, redid all 3 DVDs and they came out the same. D-1 is great, D-2 and D-3 have the pixilation. With no menu all 3 discs start playing when inserted into both old and new DVD players. With menu it waits until hit play, but still get pixilation on D-2.

D-2 and D-3 look like what I got before when burning at a faster speed of 8.0. But doing all I can to set to 3.0 burn speed, D-2 and D-3 have the pixilation. When the burn is finished, the setting is still at 3.0.

So in order to make a full set of DVDs I Produced D-2 and D-3 with PD11 to a 60p 28Mbps AVI file and used Nero 12 Titatinum to burn to DVD. No pixilation on either D-2 or D-3. And I did not use a menu when I burned them with Nero 12.

Any ideas?

PREFERENCES
TV format is NTSC (30fps) I am in US near Philadelphia PA, USA.

Hardware Acceleration: both unchecked (Enable AMD, and Enable hardware decoding)
Produce: no enables (reduce video blocky artifacts, Allow SVRT)
NOTE: I tried with and w/o reduce video blocky artifacts, no change, still had pixilation on D-2 and D-3.

DVD production: no chapters, no menu or titles, MPEG-2, HQ-Best Quality, Smart fit enabled, LPCM audio, 2 Channels, Cyberlink TrueTheater not enabled

NOTE: Redid D-2 with a menu, still got the pixilation.

DVD OUTPUT settings using the laptop disc drive:
enable Burn to disc
enable Create folder
not enable x.v. Color
no enable hardware video encoder

DVD BURN settings: recording speed: 3.0, enable inlcude buffer underrun protection

After the burn the setting still says speed at 3.0
 Filename
DxDiag ASUS.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag file
 Filesize
57 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
231 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Aug 02. 2013 19:34

PD 11 Ult Suite PD11.2812,
ASUS G750JW: Win 8 64-bit OS; Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ processor, 2.4GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz); 8GB DDR3; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB graphic; HD 5400 rpm 1TB. USB 3.0 1-4TB.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi BroDon -

I tried to follow your described workflow to see whether anything may have caused the difference in burn quality, but couldn't spot anything.

You had successful burns (in the end) by producing the project first... before sending it off to that other software to burn.

Did you try the same thing in PD? Produce first, then use the produced file to burn the disc?

When you select "Smart Fit" PD will (if necessary) lower the video bitrate to make it fit the disc. That could certainly be a factor. Wouldn't the projects fit on a DVD?

When a DVD is burnt, the video is MPEG-2 720x480 @ about 8MBps - interlaced. It's not very efficient to produce it to AVI first... & I don't know how you managed to produce an AVI - 60p - at 28MBps. Maybe AVC?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BroDon316
[Post New]
I had one good burn in D-1 in PD11.

When I could not get good burns for D-2 and d-3, I produced a file in PD11 and used Nero 12 to burn good ones.

I did not know should take a PD11 project, produce it to a file, then import that file to burn in PD11. Seems like a workflow that is counterintuitive. That kind of message should be in the instruction manual. But I will give it a try just to see what happens.

I will try not checking Smart Fit. Seems DVD at HQ will hold about 69 minutes. My biggest file, D-1, is 64 minutes. The other two are 50 and 35 minutes.

So I am burning again with PD11, this time with the produced D-2 file. I will not check Smart Fit. PD 11 Ult Suite PD11.2812,
ASUS G750JW: Win 8 64-bit OS; Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ processor, 2.4GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz); 8GB DDR3; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB graphic; HD 5400 rpm 1TB. USB 3.0 1-4TB.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
BroDon -

I did not know should take a PD11 project, produce it to a file, then import that file to burn in PD11. Seems like a workflow that is counterintuitive.

You're right - but it takes a bit of a load off your PC by using an already produced file (which is effectively what you did with Nero). It's not necessary to do that, but it can sometimes alleviate issues.

Cheers - Tony
BroDon316
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

I think I got it! You gave me the clue on "Smart Fit."

When I burned D-1, it is 67 minutes long, the max for PD11 at HQ is about 63 minutes. So then I needed the Smart Fit to get the best quality I could. When I did the next ones, which are 51 and 35 minutes long, I left Smart Fit on.

When I went back and disabled Smart Fit, the DVDs burned for D-2 and D-3 had no pixilation. Nor was there pixilation on D-1. So somehow when there is room on a DVD due to smaller file size, using Smart Fix reduces the quality much less than it did for the 67 minute D-1 file. While not logical to me, is seems to be what happens.

I had been hoping that Smart Fix with a smaller file would increase the quality, not lessen it, when there is room. In my mind, max quality for any file size is a desired feature. Seems pretty limiting to me that in order to get rid of pixilation I need to burn at 3.0, and watch Smart Fit closely. When I first started this I got pixilation on D-1 with Smart Fit, when burned at 8.0.

The DVDs I am using are guaranteed Tiayo Yuden so that was the last of my suspects.

My produced files of D-1, 2 and 3 were AVC HD 60p 28Mbps to get maximum resolution. Strange there was no option for high resolution HD when my source files were at 30fps.

Seems a waste if you start at something like 60Mbps in the Canon 6D and then produce at 1/2 the resolution at 28Mbps, and then do a DVD that is somewhere around 8Mbps. It does not help that PD11 does not show any resolution detail on what is being burned.

Once again, thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2013 20:05

ynotfish
[Post New]
That's good news BroDon -

Of course, there are times when DVDs need to be burned - but it's fair to expect that it will be a massive compromise in quality, especially when you're starting with such high quality video clips. More so if you're using the 6D's ALL-I option - 1920x1080 @ about 90MBps

When I need to use DVDs as the distribution method (I don't make them for myself), I first produce the video at a comparable quality to the camera's output. If others need copies, they get (in order of quality):
(a) the same quality video on a USB stick
(b) a BR disc
(c) an AVCHD DVD (if they have a compatible player
(d) a DVD

The point you make about Smart Fit is interesting. I assumed SF would only be applied if the file size was too great. I've never used it myself.

Cheers - Tony

BroDon316
[Post New]

Wow, love it.

Where or how do you make a 90Mbps video?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2013 21:24

ynotfish
[Post New]
In your Movie Recording settings you can choose between ALL-I or IPB

ALL-1 isn't genuine uncompressed RAW video. Each frame is compressed individually = super quality.

Your manual will tell you more, but - if you choose ALL-1 - make sure you have a whopping SD card!

Cheers - Tony
BroDon316
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

What I meant was how do I make high res video files in PD11 once I have the clips there? Max I found was 28Mbps.

That is what we shot them at, ALL-1, and yes we now use 32, 64 and 128G cards. PD 11 Ult Suite PD11.2812,
ynotfish
[Post New]
Oh I see!

Well. It's possible with a bit of tweaking.

It's important to understand that some PCs or media players may struggle with smooth playback.

For your 6D (I've just tested this with some 6D ALL-I clips & it works), here's what to do:

1. In the Produce module, select MOV – QuickTime Full HD Quality & click the + button to make a custom profile
2. Under the Video tab, leave the settings as they are
3. Under the audio tab, switch the audio compression from AAC to LCPM.
4. Give the profile a name, or remember its label (I called mine Canon6D ALL-I)
5. Save your project & close PD (not completely necessary).

Now - go to C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\11.0 and locate "Profile.ini"

6. Open the .ini file in notepad
7. Locate the custom profile you just made (it'll be the last one – look for the name you gave it)
8. Scan through the text to find “<Video BitRate>15500000< and change the number to <Video BitRate>88000000< - or whatever the video bitrate is (the clips I was using are 88MBps)
9. Save & close notepad

Now - open your project in PD & go to Produce > MOV & select your custom profile from the dropdown menu. Mine's listed as “Canon6D ALL-I"

10. Name your video & hit Start.

The profile you just created will always be available to you in the MOV > Custom dropdown.

BroDon - if you're confident with the above procedure, give it a try. Any issues, just post here.

Cheers - Tony