Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to combine two 2D movies to one 3D movie
[Post New]
I intend to ride to Finland next year. I like to make a 3D movie of the trip. I can use 2 HD bullet cams recording at the same time with a distance between them of about 50cm. How can I combine the two 2D video's from these cams into one (side by side) 3D video using PDP 11.0.0.3026 ?
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
It is an involved process, but in short you have to put each clip on a separate video track and resize them to be the left and right side of the screen. You may need to use a mask if them overlap. Then align them. I don't expect PD to recognize them as 3D, so you loose a lot of the benefits, but when produced it should be playable as a 3D movie. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
Thanks, I will look in to that.
I was extecting PD to have some function for that.
As I don't have "stereo" shots at the moment, I'll try doing it with random video's, expecting to see one movie with the left eye, the other with the right, just for testing.
Hopefully PD will get such a feature.

Maybe someone else has some suggestions?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks, I will look in to that.
I was extecting PD to have some function for that.
As I don't have "stereo" shots at the moment, I'll try doing it with random video's, expecting to see one movie with the left eye, the other with the right, just for testing.
Hopefully PD will get such a feature.

Maybe someone else has some suggestions?

Hi R100CS,
Yesterday I wrote 2 or 3 replies to your initial post and then backed away. I'm glad James answered in the way that he did. My reply now after further thought is a simpler one, don't bother. Here's my reasoning and is only an opinion.
You mention, "HD bullet cams" without giving a great deal of info on make or model. From that I'm going to assume a lot and opinionate greatly. These types of camera are unsuitable to record quality footage worth having as 3D. They're going to be infinity set without the clear close definition achieved with well known and focus adjustable cameras fitted with quality lenses. You may have white balance differences, frame rate differences and have a single lens giving a wide peripheral aspect unsuitable for 3D editing. I know this because I have experimented.

The best option for you is to:

Open PDR11
Select and drag to Track 1 the Nature.mpg
Select PowerTools/2D to 3D
And let PDR11 convert a single 2D video into 3D.

Just an opinion.

Dafydd
[Post New]
Hi,

I was thinking about two of these. http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/roadhawk-ride.html
I've never made a 3D movie before, nor have I two cams, so it's all hypothetical at the moment.
My latest cam was destroyed along with my bike, while I was riding it, by a truck ignoring a red traffic ligt.
I still have to buy a new camera.
So before I do very costly things that won't work, all opinions, views, comments are welcome.

regards, Peter
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

I was thinking about two of these. http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/roadhawk-ride.html
I've never made a 3D movie before, nor have I two cams, so it's all hypothetical at the moment.
My latest cam was destroyed along with my bike, while I was riding it, by a truck ignoring a red traffic ligt.
I still have to buy a new camera.
So before I do very costly things that won't work, all opinions, views, comments are welcome.

regards, Peter

Hi,
There is no LCD screen (in the headcam I have) to display what one's taking or to view what's been taken.

I think you'd be better off using two cameras to get two angles, your video would be more impressive.
For example
1x video camera pointing out the back of a car
1x camera pointing forward.
You can then have the car behind starting to overtake, followed by it passing you. two distinct angles of the same event.

Converting such a scene to 3D would be easier and as described previously.

I use my headcam quite often.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 31. 2013 12:54

Charlie007
Newbie Location: Coventry Joined: May 28, 2014 04:22 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds interesting but never had chance to make a 3D video or movie personally, I am also considering a dash cam something like these: http://www.szswill.com/car-camera.html
Should I also have 2 cameras to get 2 angles?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Sounds interesting but never had chance to make a 3D video or movie personally, I am also considering a dash cam something like these: http://www.szswill.com/car-camera.html
Should I also have 2 cameras to get 2 angles?

Did you read and understand Dafydd's post just above yours?

You are asking questions that are unrelated to the software. Go here and join up to reread information concerning 3D video options. The site is primarily 3D photo but there are forums for 3D video.

http://www.3dphoto.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7e659845393374aaab92c8f41b74ac6f&action=login2

There are better 3D options available. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Personally speaking, and to be brutally frank, I just don't see what the fuss is about. Having viewed 3D TV sets in retail stores,3D ain't all it's cracked up to be! As I see it, the best use of two cameras is to grab a shot of your subject from two completely different angles.
Zum Beispiel(er, that's "for example" in German, by the way!) If you're shooting a video of a steam locomotive passing through a station, take one camera yourself and set it up(best with a tripod) to shoot the loco on one platform and your wife, girlfriend or a friend, takes the other and shoots the same loco from the platform opposite you, and maybe a bit further along the platform. As the loco comes into the station, when it passes a predetermined point, you both start recording. When the train stops, or if it passes though without stopping, follow it through, panning left or right as it passes.
When it comes to editing, choose which angle will be on the main(native) video track and which will go on the PiP(Picture-in-Picture) track, then it's simply a matter of sliding the PiP track until you achieve synchronisation. When synch is achieved, mute the audio on the PiP track. Next step, on the PiP track, count in two or three(more if you want) seconds in from the start, then split the video. Count the same number of seconds back from the end and split there as well. These short bits at the beginning and end are to be animated for an effective - and impressive - entry and exit. If you've placed your PiP in the bottom-right corner of the main screen, click on "modify" size the PiP using the grid-lines as a guide, there is also a grid-line showing a "safe" zone, inside which, your PiP won't be cropped by the edge of your TV screen(this should be done before splitting start and end, sorry I forgot to mention that - oops!). On the animation effects, select an arrow with straight line(l-to-r, r-to-l, bottom-to-top, top-to-bottom). On the monitor screen in the programme there will be the start point for the animation, and the end point, plus two intermediate positions. These intermediate points can be used or discarded at your discretion, or you can add more if you need to do so. For the beginning few seconds, move to the end of the animation line part from the play, stop and frame-advance or backward buttons, you'll see a set of buttons with a diamond/left arrow and diamond/right arrow plus diamond/+ and diamond/- buttons, the latter to add or remove intermediate points. Using the diamond/right arrow moves to the end of the range for your effect, at this point, using your up/down/left/right keys or mouse to position, set the clip to where it should be, bottom-right of screen, moving back to start of sequence(diamond/left arrow) place the image at the point from where it is to enter(slide from bottom-left, top-left or top-right, even from bottom-right). If you want the PiP to enlarge to its predetermined size, at the corner of the Pip(any corner), pull into centre. Using the intermediates you can grow the image in stages(experiment) or, deleting intermediates, grow the image evenly from any point on the screen to end where and how large you want. Follow the process in reverse to make the end piece fly out of shot in whichever direction you choose, you can even make the image spin clockwise or anti-clockwise in our out, rotation settings should be set to at least 360 degrees for best effect. 360X8=2880 degrees for a rapid spin(suggested). When you've done this, produce your final clip and give it a title. This is all based on a hypothetical steam loco vid but should give an idea which can be applied elsewhere. sorry for the space taken to explain the process.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
OOPs ! I just realized that the following post is off topic - putting to 2D movies together to get a 3D movie. I apologize but I'm not ready to delete it.

I'm sure that the OP will appreciate your discussion of PIP.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You said "Personally speaking, and to be brutally frank, I just don't see what the fuss is about. Having viewed 3D TV sets in retail stores,3D ain't all it's cracked up to be!"

Many people and a lot of TV manufacturers would agree with you (but it sells). Not to mention those that get headaches byt just trying to watch 3D.

It is a fad. Anyone want to mention super high definition TV - 4K (or should I have left the typo as $K ).

For me, I like 3D and I don't necessarily have the time to set up 2 video camcorders and have someone else with me when I am traveling. I do a lot of video taping special events for my granddaughter so there are action shots. I have a 3D projector and 3D monitor so I can watch those videos in 3D or simply let them convert to 2D. I bought a used Sony 3D camcorder and it works very well. It is not much larger than a standard 2D camcorder. I get what I want from it and don;t have to worry about a lot of editing.

I would find it hard to believe that a simple synchronization would give you the results you describe. Have you been to the users group that I linked to above? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.