CyberLink Community Forum
How to combine two 2D movies to one 3D movie  XML
Forum Index » PowerDirector (previous versions)
R100CS

[Avatar]

I intend to ride to Finland next year. I like to make a 3D movie of the trip. I can use 2 HD bullet cams recording at the same time with a distance between them of about 50cm. How can I combine the two 2D video's from these cams into one (side by side) 3D video using PDP 11.0.0.3026 ?
Jaime-esque

Senior Contributor

It is an involved process, but in short you have to put each clip on a separate video track and resize them to be the left and right side of the screen. You may need to use a mask if them overlap. Then align them. I don't expect PD to recognize them as 3D, so you loose a lot of the benefits, but when produced it should be playable as a 3D movie.
[WWW]
R100CS

[Avatar]

Thanks, I will look in to that.
I was extecting PD to have some function for that.
As I don't have "stereo" shots at the moment, I'll try doing it with random video's, expecting to see one movie with the left eye, the other with the right, just for testing.
Hopefully PD will get such a feature.

Maybe someone else has some suggestions?
Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko

Senior Contributor

R100CS wrote:Thanks, I will look in to that.
I was extecting PD to have some function for that.
As I don't have "stereo" shots at the moment, I'll try doing it with random video's, expecting to see one movie with the left eye, the other with the right, just for testing.
Hopefully PD will get such a feature.

Maybe someone else has some suggestions?

Hi R100CS,
Yesterday I wrote 2 or 3 replies to your initial post and then backed away. I'm glad James answered in the way that he did. My reply now after further thought is a simpler one, don't bother. Here's my reasoning and is only an opinion.
You mention, "HD bullet cams" without giving a great deal of info on make or model. From that I'm going to assume a lot and opinionate greatly. These types of camera are unsuitable to record quality footage worth having as 3D. They're going to be infinity set without the clear close definition achieved with well known and focus adjustable cameras fitted with quality lenses. You may have white balance differences, frame rate differences and have a single lens giving a wide peripheral aspect unsuitable for 3D editing. I know this because I have experimented.

The best option for you is to:

Open PDR11
Select and drag to Track 1 the Nature.mpg
Select PowerTools/2D to 3D
And let PDR11 convert a single 2D video into 3D.

Just an opinion.

Dafydd

For more information click the links given here:
PowerDirector Video Editor = 2,2.5,3,4,5,5P,6,7,8,9,10,11 Ultimate Suite, Ultimate Suite 2, Director Suite 2.
PowerDirector 12 Image Guides linking image guides on the forum.
Image Editor = One that makes transparent background PNG files is a "must have".
Gif Animation = Creating and converting an animation can give one's video a little "edge".
Check out PowerDVD, PhotoDirector, ColorDirector, AudioDirector & MediaShow
I use the Pixelan plug-ins, (*5) with PowerDirector 12 Click here to visit Pixelan Software.
Started with 8mm splice editing and B&W still image darkroom photography.
Honesty disclosure: CyberLink have provided me their software products at no charge.
R100CS

[Avatar]

Hi,

I was thinking about two of these. http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/roadhawk-ride.html
I've never made a 3D movie before, nor have I two cams, so it's all hypothetical at the moment.
My latest cam was destroyed along with my bike, while I was riding it, by a truck ignoring a red traffic ligt.
I still have to buy a new camera.
So before I do very costly things that won't work, all opinions, views, comments are welcome.

regards, Peter
Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko

Senior Contributor

R100CS wrote:Hi,

I was thinking about two of these. http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/roadhawk-ride.html
I've never made a 3D movie before, nor have I two cams, so it's all hypothetical at the moment.
My latest cam was destroyed along with my bike, while I was riding it, by a truck ignoring a red traffic ligt.
I still have to buy a new camera.
So before I do very costly things that won't work, all opinions, views, comments are welcome.

regards, Peter

Hi,
There is no LCD screen (in the headcam I have) to display what one's taking or to view what's been taken.

I think you'd be better off using two cameras to get two angles, your video would be more impressive.
For example
1x video camera pointing out the back of a car
1x camera pointing forward.
You can then have the car behind starting to overtake, followed by it passing you. two distinct angles of the same event.

Converting such a scene to 3D would be easier and as described previously.

I use my headcam quite often.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/07/2013 09:54:13

For more information click the links given here:
PowerDirector Video Editor = 2,2.5,3,4,5,5P,6,7,8,9,10,11 Ultimate Suite, Ultimate Suite 2, Director Suite 2.
PowerDirector 12 Image Guides linking image guides on the forum.
Image Editor = One that makes transparent background PNG files is a "must have".
Gif Animation = Creating and converting an animation can give one's video a little "edge".
Check out PowerDVD, PhotoDirector, ColorDirector, AudioDirector & MediaShow
I use the Pixelan plug-ins, (*5) with PowerDirector 12 Click here to visit Pixelan Software.
Started with 8mm splice editing and B&W still image darkroom photography.
Honesty disclosure: CyberLink have provided me their software products at no charge.

Forum Index » PowerDirector (previous versions)
Go to: