Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Smart Fit
wjr002 [Avatar]
Member Location: Kingscliff, Australia Joined: Jun 29, 2011 20:22 Messages: 117 Offline
[Post New]
Apologies if this has been covered. I did a search and couldn't see this specific question.

I haven't used Smart Fit yet for creating a DVD. I can figure it would reduce quality if the fit is done to reduce the size of the production to fit on a DVD.
But what if you go up and increase the production to fully fit on the DVD. Will quality be reduced compared to not using it?

Example: Have a DVD production that won;t fit on a DVD using 4:3 "HQ - Best Quality" but will fit using 4:3 "SP: Standard Quality". If using :SP: Standard Quality" will checking "Smart Fit" give a "better" quality than without it?

I figure this might depend on the quality of the original videos to an extent.

Thanks! PD12 Ultimate Suite (upgrade from PD11 Ultimate). PhotoDirector 5. PowerDVD13. YouCam 5.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi wjr002 ,
The quality of a video depends on various factors. Compression by a codec, the codec selected has a distinct effect on a video as well.

In the case of what you're comparing and asking about the quality is decided by the bitrate per frame and by the frame size of the video. You should output to the different DVD formats and examine the vob files to decide which you prefer. Use a software called MediaInfo to look closely at the media file structure.

This is a "horses for courses" decision you have to make.

In answer to your question - I doubt (not something I can recall testing) Smart Fit would up the quality beyond the level you've set.

Dafydd
wjr002 [Avatar]
Member Location: Kingscliff, Australia Joined: Jun 29, 2011 20:22 Messages: 117 Offline
[Post New]
I just did the comparison using the example I mentioned.

Main Differences:

General

Without Smart Fit:

Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 5 193 Kbps

With Smart Fit:

Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 7 115 Kbps

Video

Without Smart Fit:

Bit rate : 4 641 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 6 800 Kbps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.917

With Smart Fit:

Bit rate : 6 525 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 6 800 Kbps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.289

So, there is definitely a difference there. Wehther I can notice any difference in play back is yet to be seen. PD12 Ultimate Suite (upgrade from PD11 Ultimate). PhotoDirector 5. PowerDVD13. YouCam 5.