Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ColorDirector - reduce effect of washed out areas
wjr002 [Avatar]
Member Location: Kingscliff, Australia Joined: Jun 29, 2011 20:22 Messages: 117 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD 11 and am considering ColorDirector.
Main use would be to edit video taken from a helmet camera while riding a motorcycle. With helmet cams, and mine in particular, when riding on roads with sudden light changes such as flickering through trees or coming up over a hill out of shadow they can tend to "wash out" in regions until the camera adjusts.
Is it possible to reduce the effect of this with CD?
PD 11 has some tools I've played with that help but am wondering if the selection tools in CD might help.

Note: am not experienced in any of this.

Thanks! PD12 Ultimate Suite (upgrade from PD11 Ultimate). PhotoDirector 5. PowerDVD13. YouCam 5.
[Post New]
Hello wjr002,

Welcome to the ColorDirector forum.

I understand the issue, as I edit some of my son-in-law's surfing footage shot with a couple of GoPros. Of course, he doesn't surf through trees with flickering light. But there are sections where the sun's glare temporarily washes out the vision.

ColorDirector has quite extensive adjustment tools that can correct these blow outs. In a much more limited way, PowerDirector can do that too. What I've found is that interfering with those sudden light changes too much can interfere with video flow.

For example, in your case, you may be riding through a shaded area then go over the crest of a hill into the sun before heading back down into the trees. The light changes briefly, then clearer vision resumes. When you're riding, that's what you see.

So, if you were to correct that section of the clip by decreasing exposure & the brightest areas, it may not be ideal. It creates another lighting change. It would probably be appropriate if there was a more extended period of blown out vision.

PIX

[Thumb - Overexposed.jpg]
 Filename
Overexposed.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
172 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
643 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 08. 2013 04:26

PIX YouTube channel
wjr002 [Avatar]
Member Location: Kingscliff, Australia Joined: Jun 29, 2011 20:22 Messages: 117 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello wjr002,

Welcome to the ColorDirector forum.

I understand the issue, as I edit some of my son-in-law's surfing footage shot with a couple of GoPros. Of course, he doesn't surf through trees with flickering light. But there are sections where the sun's glare temporarily washes out the vision.

So, if you were to correct that section of the clip by decreasing exposure & the brightest areas, it may not be ideal. It creates another lighting change. It would probably be appropriate if there was a more extended period of blown out vision.

PIX

Thanks!

Does ColorDirector really have that much more power than PD11 for these types of edits?

I played around with a Youtube video (not mine - I would have picked better music to begin with ) and had reasonable success just decreasing the highlights and playing with contrast a bit in PD11 over the whole video. That video was shot riding between trees and the camera didn't handle the transitions well. The transitions were frequent so that might have helped with the continuity over the whole video.

While I realise the other areas where CD can shine above PD I'm starting to think PD11 might be enough for me for a while.

Video in question without any edits I did is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na62YYdMzAc PD12 Ultimate Suite (upgrade from PD11 Ultimate). PhotoDirector 5. PowerDVD13. YouCam 5.
[Post New]
Very impressive for a first edit.

ColorDirector has much more powerful colour grading than PowerDirector, but that's not necessarily what you need. Personally, I think the light changes throughout the ride work well as they are.

You may be right about PDR being the right tool for you for this kind of shooting/editing.

Over in the PDR forum, there are quite a few riders using GoPros. Seek them out. I'm sure they'll be able to offer you good advice. Just post a topic with "motorbike" or "GoPro" in the title and they'll be there!

PIX PIX YouTube channel
wjr002 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your time. Will head over there for a visit for sure. PD12 Ultimate Suite (upgrade from PD11 Ultimate). PhotoDirector 5. PowerDVD13. YouCam 5.