Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Linked audio somehow moves relative to the video without seeing it shown moved in the track
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
As much as I love PD, I continue to be irritated as I edit my combination of clips and stills. As I work along, I suddenly realize that the audio of a clip starts way before the video begins, yet the audio track shows it in the proper place. Sometimes I can save the error by unlinking the audio, move it to another track, save, and then return and link it in the previous track. Sometimes not. Then I have to get out of PD, start it again, load my project to find that the track and playback is in proper sync. At other times I will have worked along and playback starts to get wierd. I get out and back in to PD and I'm astonished to find that the many linked audios for all or part of the project have moved all over, including overlapped, on top of each other, relinked to other clips, lost completely, etc. It seems to be related to using the overlap (vs. cross) option for transistions here and there. Yes, I know I can avoid the overlap transition, but I want to use an advertised feature!

When I remove the overlap transition, then I've really got a problem because I can't return the audio to the proper place and restore the overlap. I have to remove all the transitions of the affected clips and replace them as before. What a pain and time consumption! For others, I have to remove the prioor edited clip and replace it with another copy from the library, and perform the clip edits again!

What is going on? How do I prevent this from happening? Or is it a bug carried over from previous versions - I've been seeing this in at least PD10.

Bill Bill Seifert
HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-2022
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Watercolorwilly,

Your description of what happens sounds like a computer system that is struggling.

Part A and Part B. Some screen shots of your Timeline. (Parts E & F)
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24771.page

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Carl.

I recently upgraded my graphics card to Asus Geforce GTX 650 2GB and increased my power supply to 650W. Which part of my system is struggling?

I still do have an issue with jerky, slow playback above "High Preview Resolution" which prompted me to upgrade. But it hardly made a difference. I continue to notice that if I do a color adjustment enhance of a photo, the problem is very pronounced until I go to a lower resolution. But a lighting adjustment does not bother at all. Go figure.

What kind of system will get me away from all these darn issues? I'm all ears!

I'll try to capture the A, B, E, and F when this happens again and post it.

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Carl.

I recently upgraded my graphics card to Asus Geforce GTX 650 2GB and increased my power supply to 650W. Which part of my system is struggling?

I still do have an issue with jerky, slow playback above "High Preview Resolution" which prompted me to upgrade. But it hardly made a difference. I continue to notice that if I do a color adjustment enhance of a photo, the problem is very pronounced until I go to a lower resolution. But a lighting adjustment does not bother at all. Go figure.

What kind of system will get me away from all these darn issues? I'm all ears!

I'll try to capture the A, B, E, and F when this happens again and post it.

Bill

Without the Dxdiag.txt file (Part B) I do not know enough about your computer to give an informed answer.

If your CPU is a single core or dual core, that would certainly be an area of concern.

The Computer in my Sig works fine for me.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
As Carl312 asks provide the DXdiag file. A computer does not run on a Power Supply...a computer runs on a processor and memory, the power supply just give the power to operate the Motherboard and installed accessories, some accessories require a bigger poser supply, Video editing requires more Processor power. It sound that your system may be underpowered.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've attached BillSeifert64DxDiag that was requested.

Also, note that I recently replaced my 300W power supply with a 650W P.S. which I was told was more than sufficient to power my PC and the new video card that I purchased. So I don't think system electric power is underpowered and the source of my problems with PD11.

Bill
 Filename
BillSeifert64DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
383 time(s)
Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Watercolorwilly,
Thank you for the diagnostic. The spec looks ok (as you say). I have pull out a couple of things.

Graphic card drivers - check for an update from the Nvidia site.
Driver Date/Size: 10/10/2012

Which drive are you storing your video on?
Driver speed (and location) and read/write have a crucial role regarding HD files.
Drive: C:
Free Space: 1168.7 GB
Total Space: 1417.4 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: WDC WD15 EARS-60MVWB0 SATA Disk Device

Drive: D:
Free Space: 0.6 GB
Total Space: 13.3 GB
Model: WDC WD15 EARS-60MVWB0 SATA Disk Device

Drive: K:
Free Space: 777.1 GB
Total Space: 1907.7 GB
Model: Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 USB Device

Drive: L:
Free Space: 742.0 GB
Total Space: 1907.7 GB
Model: ST2000DM 001-9YN164 SATA Disk Device

Just my opinion: PSU, 650w isn't that powerful and you would have been better advised to have gone for a bigger unit.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 18. 2013 05:55

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
I had already checked for updates for the graphic card and that was the latest.

The card required 400w power, so the upgrading from the original 300w to the new 650w power supply should be sufficient to power the new graphic card, I thought. I noted that the card needed at least 20 amp on the 12v rail and this new power supply provides up to 38 amps.

So where is my weak link in this PC I've got? Sigh.

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
My internal 2TB SATA HD contains all my 500,000 photos and project files and is half full. PD is installed on the separate internal HD, the C-Drive. Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Since you only have a 2.? GH processor, try disabling shadow file, it may take longer to produce, but eliminate the jerking.
JIm Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Never trust Windows to find the latest drivers. Go here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-314.07-whql-driver.html

Double check to make sure that I found the right one dated Feb 18, 2013. Note: I act5ually use an older driver but I am not having issues with the Nvidia 560ti that I have. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've had shadow file disabled all along. Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, my driver was out of date (!), so I updated.

But no joy. If I increase saturation, for example, on any still photo and have a pan, or especially when I use transitions, the video stands still and sometimes does not change until the next still photo comes up. The pan on the first enchanced photo doesn't even occur and suddenly the next photo appears after the appropriate time. But if I go down to "High Preview Resolution," the video moves along OK, but not terrific. Sigh. Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK. My problem appeared again and I attached two screen prints of the same project.

It seems like the trigger for this is when I select several video clips and move and insert them somewhere upstream. Also, it seems that the problem is more likely when I've used overlapped transitions for the video clips. Everything looks normal in the display on my monitor, that is the linked audio of each video appears correctly under it's video clip. I continue doing more editing, and at some point I start to notice some odd preview playback. When the wrong audio is playing with its video, espcially when it starts before the video does, I know it's that same problem again. Sometimes I try to unlink and move the audio down to another track, save, then move it back and relink to recover from that problem. If it does not solve it, I must get out of PD and start it and open the project again. Sometimes that takes care of it.

BUT, if not, I open up the project to see that a huge portion, if not all, of the linked audio clips have moved up and down the track. Some displaced, others overlapped, and even some on top of each other. I think I've even lost audio clips and have to bring another copy back from the library.

In the one attached screen capture, it shows that the last half of the project had all the linked audios displaced from the associated linked videos. In the other attachment I zoomed in on part of that project where three audio clips would have been overlapped. (But this time I had unlinked and moved the center audio clip down to the next track before closing the project. ) Then I closed PD, restarted it, and opened up the same project. You can see that the center audio clip of the three would have overlapped the other two if I had left all three audios on the same track assigned to the video clips. Note also, that the other two audio clips are not anywhere near their own video clips - how could that be?

To recover the project from this point, I have to unlink each video clip, individually drag each of the audios back to their proper places, and relink them again. And, of course, I have to remove the overlap transitions because doing one messes up all the adjacent linked pairs down stream. (How can I replace a overlapped transition when others adjacent down stream already have transtitions? When I do it, the audio gets displaced again unless I remove all the carefully placed transtitions first.) It is so irritating that a linked video-audio pair still move relative to each other in this situation - I keep pointing out the there has to be a "hard link" option as I believe all are only soft links in PD.

I still think this is a bug and I started being plagued with this in PD10. It caused my huge problems in this 12-DVD project of an ancestral trip to Germany. 7000 photos, numerous video clips, and a large part of 35 hours of separate sound recordings tour guides. I spent many days reworking scrambled video-audio pairs, each probably re-repaired several times.

Any suggestions? Please!

Bill
[Thumb - PD11 error.JPG]
 Filename
PD11 error.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Audio moved on clips after moving some clips upstream
 Filesize
177 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
226 time(s)
[Thumb - PD11 closeup.jpg]
 Filename
PD11 closeup.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Three audio clips after moving one down to next track
 Filesize
31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
215 time(s)
Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl and Dafydd: No more ideas? What should I do next, contact technical support? Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Carl and Dafydd: No more ideas? What should I do next, contact technical support?

Yes, Contact Cyberlink support, maybe they can help or solve your problem.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
I might be off here but I seen where Watercolorwilly said "increase saturationfor example, on any still photo and have a pan" I have a i7 with 8 GB of ram and if I try to edited and do some color grading why i'm editing my preview will get jumpy and like pause then take of again. I learned to go back and do that after I had it all edited. Then when I produce it all it ok. Like I said I my be off on whats going on. I don't see where he says it produce it. But then if the audio looks like it moving around on the timeline I have never seen that happen. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Carl and Dafydd: No more ideas? What should I do next, contact technical support?

Yes, Contact Cyberlink support, maybe they can help or solve your problem.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

Quote: I might be off here but I seen where Watercolorwilly said "increase saturationfor example, on any still photo and have a pan" I have a i7 with 8 GB of ram and if I try to edited and do some color grading why i'm editing my preview will get jumpy and like pause then take of again. I learned to go back and do that after I had it all edited. Then when I produce it all it ok. Like I said I my be off on whats going on. I don't see where he says it produce it. But then if the audio looks like it moving around on the timeline I have never seen that happen.

Hi Watercolorwilly,
I agree with Carl and I'd like to know if Michael's input helped.

I was wondering if your issue/problem is related further to your hardware. Now I notice on my system, which is more powerful, that an issue is likely to arise if I were to play/edit video from one internal drive, HDD SATA, linked via a PCI slot. There is a delay hang event I am now aware of. Now your issue may be related to a Mobo/HDD read write delay,and is something you may not be able to easily fix without a major change. I'm guessing here as hardware issues on someone else's system are not readily identifiable except to a tech.

Dafydd
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm sure that my produced video on DVD will have all this sorted out. But I'd prefer to see a smoother preview to be confident about the final result. If I avoid the neat features of adjusting the saturation, etc. of the stills, I can achieve decent playback in "High Preview" presenation mode. But what good is it to have neat features that you dare not use?

What is totally disturbing and unacceptable is for my audio clips, linked to .MOV clips from my Canon camera, get scattered without knowing it until things get a little wierd. Then when I know enough to get out of PD and back into it, all the audio clips downstream from where I've been ediing are displaced further downstream. Worse yet, they may be on top of each other, re-linked to the wrong video clips, or just disappeared. I just got done AGAIN rearranging the audio clips back to where they should be. It takes me an hour to figure all this out and this 50-minute project now has taken more time to recorrect at least 6 times than working on the editing of the whole project. I've used a number of other providers of this type of software and NEVER had this problem. Fortunately PD is so good in so many other aspects, I continue to use it.

I just wish someone else could tell me what to do about this maddening problem I have. Then I'd be so, so happy.

Why must I go through all this again with tech support? Don't you have some ability to point them to problems such as these that I'm experiencing?? It will be pure hell to go through this with them again. Could I forward this discussion to them instead?

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

James1
[Post New]
Hi,
Turn 'shadow file' off to preview your system may not need it and (on my system) smooths the hi def preview where everything is smoother.
Jim
Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory