Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD can't play DREDD : error 101
KeepLoGeek [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2013 15:34 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I try to play the Blu Ray 3D of the movie Dredd with PowerDVD Ultra.

I get two following error message :
"PowerDVD can't access to the storage unit..."
then
"PowerDVD can't run because some components are corrupted... uninstall and reinstall PowerDVD...error code 101"

I try to reinstall, I try under windows 7 and windows 8 and I have the same error

Somebody can help ? Thanks

thylacine666 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2013 16:54 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I get the exact same thing, but not just with that film, with every BD I try to play now.

Was all working fine last week, and had been for weeks before that.

I've uninstalled, removed all of the Microsoft <whatever> Redistributable packages (the PDVD installers puts some in there), run a registry cleaner to remove all obsolete entries, then reinstalled.

Problem persists.

Example titles being Region B release of Lethal Weapon, Region A release of Labyrinth and There Will Be Blood.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2013 17:08

Laurent75015 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2013 17:44 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem with ALL my Blu Ray

What is the problèm ?

Java is up to date
Nvidia drivers is up to date
Firewall and Bitdefender are désactived

and last version of powerDVD of course (with AnyDVD)

Intel I7 2700 -
MSI GTX 580 Lighting Extreme
16 Go Ram
Crucial M4 256 Go
Windows 7 64Bits

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2013 17:59

thylacine666 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I wonder if it might be something to do with Java, now you mention that Laurent; that's the ONLY thing I've updated or installed between when it worked and now.

I've logged a technical support ticket about it, will post here any info received.

Also worth noting I checked my virus scanner (the second message suggests doing so) and there's been no trace of any malware/virus etc, nor has anything appeared in the logs relating to Cyberlink or PowerDVD. I made all relevant folders exempt from scanner activity etc, and even totally closed out of it (something I regularly do when viewing BDs as having it running makes them slightly juddery after a while, and performance returns instantly once I close it), and none of that made any difference.

Also worth noting I tried a DVD and whilst it played, I tried to skip the studio logo and it dumped me back to the home screen. Played again, got the resume prompt with all the movies chapters along the bottom (which looked corrupt; green bars across the top of them), and clicked a chapter. This started playing fine, but when I tried to slide the progress slider along, I got dumped back to the home screen again.

EDIT: I tell a lie! The last time I watched a BD was Jan 31 (Letterboxd's diary helps me keep track ha). Since then I had a raft of Windows Updates. Some of these were MS-Office related, but the others all seems to be Windows 7 Security issue patches.

Are you guys running Win 7, and/or have you done Windows Updates between everything working and when the problem started?

All that being said, even if this was caused by a Windows Update, you'd think all the uninstalling and registry cleaning I did before reinstalling would fix the problem, unless something was fundamentally altered.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2013 18:38

NeedlesKane [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2013 19:19 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Have you found a fix? I just purchased the PowerDVD 12 Ultra upgrade for my computer running Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-Bit, and I have the same problem. I upgraded from PowerDVD 9, and it would play my disks until I performed each of the required updates. After each update I had no success with playing any of my blu-ray disks. However, I can still play blu-ray disks using VLC. I would much prefer to use PowerDVD 12 since I love all of its features, but right now I am concerned that I will need a refund.
thylacine666 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ooh I didn't realise I could play BDs with VLC, will do that in the meantime, ie until a fix arises.

I only submitted my support request today Needles, but will post here with any update.

EDIT: Just got a reply from tech support asking if I'd ever had PowerDVD 11 installed (I haven't, only 8 then and upgrade to 10, both uninstalled before installing 12 obviously), but no suggestion about what to do if I had. Clicked 'Reply' but doing so seems to create a new ticket (no matter what browser I use), so I just titled it "Reply to <original ticket #>" so hopefully the original tech will see it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2013 21:34

NeedlesKane [Avatar]
[Post New]
I went through the exact same thing when Sorokhaibam from CyberLink responded to me. I went from PowerDVD 9 to PowerDVD 12 though. Also I know that PowerDVD 12 worked for me when I used a trial previously. I don't know what caused the problem. I was thinking that it could be the Catalyst 13.2 Beta 6 driver that I am using, but then I saw that another user had tried the 13.2 Beta, 13.1 WHQL, and even older versions without any success.

Above that I thought maybe this was a Java issue since it updated recently. I then uninstalled Java and installed Java 6 Update 34 or something like that. It also failed to help. Troubleshooting problems like this can be rather frustrating. It especially bugs me since I know my hardware works. I can watch blu-ray disks using one of my drives when using VLC, and I could use both drives when using PowerDVD 8 before patching it. After patching it everything went haywire.
thylacine666 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep I know what you mean. It was working perfectly ok for me since I bought it, been weeks/months, and the only changes have been Java updates and a few seemingly innocuous Windows Updates.

Will wait and see what techs suggest, but glad you mentioned about VLC, never realised I could play BDs using that (and even though it's a pain to not be using PowerDVD, the codec etc from it needs to be installed, for VLC to be able to play them anyway, if it's anything like in the past where a proper DVD software had to be installed for other apps like WMP to be able to play DVDs).
NeedlesKane [Avatar]
[Post New]
I went ahead and uninstalled the 13.2 beta 6 and installed the 13.1 WHQL. It did not help. I can confirm that was a waste of time. I wonder when the problems started out exactly. It must be related to a Windows Update. I have no other idea what it could be.
Laurent75015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Yep I know what you mean. It was working perfectly ok for me since I bought it, been weeks/months, and the only changes have been Java updates and a few seemingly innocuous Windows Updates.

Will wait and see what techs suggest, but glad you mentioned about VLC, never realised I could play BDs using that (and even though it's a pain to not be using PowerDVD, the codec etc from it needs to be installed, for VLC to be able to play them anyway, if it's anything like in the past where a proper DVD software had to be installed for other apps like WMP to be able to play DVDs).

Yes I think I think the problem is with java

It must be remembered that Java 7 deletes older versions (eg JAVA 6)

I use another program : Zoom Player Pro and... and the error message is the same : Zoom Player Pro can't access to the storage unit

I did a test with VLC, SPlayer ... Both can play blu ray (Blu ray Real, not ISO images)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2013 02:01

thylacine666 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cool, I'll give that a go next week (it's my laptop, which I only really use at work, and in transit) and post the results here.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Please install latest patch v2428

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22488.page

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Valley73 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2012 08:53 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
As of yesterday I'm getting this error too.

PowerDVD12 prompted me to download an update then that was that, same error as you guys.

I don't know if it was the PowerDVD update or an automatically installed Windows update or a Java update, impossible to say.

I'm at work at the minute so can't check but I would think I'm already at v2428 that Michael has posted.

Will check out my PowerDVD version and Java version tonight
NeedlesKane [Avatar]
[Post New]
v2428 is a brand new patch, and it appears to have fixed my problem. Thank you so much Michael! I'll do some further testing after work this evening.
Valley73 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2012 08:53 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Confirmed working here.

Thank you Michael
KeepLoGeek [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2013 15:34 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I just came back from work and I try the new release : It work proprely.

The only things it's that you have to begin the Blu Ray of Dredd in 2D and when the movie starts you can activate the 3D

Thanks a lot for all the messages and to the staff which give us a working solution

Laurent75015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Power DVD works with the patch, but... No sound (?) - And my mouse is accelerated (Razer TAIPAIN)
Sound works with all other programs

Launch PowerDVD I get a message about Windows Media Player (I do not use) znd WMP is "tweaked"

I have tried with and without anyDvd, the problem is same
thylacine666 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great thanks Michael, I'll try this on Monday!
thylacine666 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep patch fixed my issue too - thanks!
comicfan123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2011 12:50 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Boy,I'm glad I checked this thread.I was broswing this morning and saw this and the problems everyone was having but that a patch has been posted that fixed it.The last time I used my Power DVD player was last week with no problem when I picked up Argo.

But after seeing all the posts here,I decided to test my player to see if this same problem had showed up in the last few days and lo and behold,it had.

I tried both my Skyfall and Titanic Blu rays and got the,"PowerDVD can't access to the storage unit..."
then
"PowerDVD can't run because some components are corrupted... uninstall and reinstall PowerDVD...error code
"thing.

But I just installed the v2428 patch and that fixed the problem for me as well.Both Skyfall and Titanic are working.

So I send out my thanks as well to CyberLink-Michael.

Again,I'm glad I checked the board this morning.I wouldn't of even known there was a problem(and a solution patch already) until I tried to play a disk eventually.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 26. 2013 15:10