Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can I run two versions of PD on the same computer?
TedK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 11, 2011 08:35 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have an old WinXP box that I use to digitize Hi8 tapes with PD version 7. I bought PD v11 to use for some editing. Can I keep version 7 and install 11 also (it's not an upgrade).

Thanks!
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have an old WinXP box that I use to digitize Hi8 tapes with PD version 7. I bought PD v11 to use for some editing. Can I keep version 7 and install 11 also (it's not an upgrade).

Thanks!

Why do you have to keep PD7? Can't PD 11 do what you want? How are you capturing the Hi8 tapes - what A/D converter?

I have two versions but they are only one version apart (V10 and V 11).
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have an old WinXP box that I use to digitize Hi8 tapes with PD version 7. I bought PD v11 to use for some editing. Can I keep version 7 and install 11 also (it's not an upgrade).

Thanks!

If both versions of Powerdirector are Full and not upgrade, they should live happily ever after on the same computer.

I have Powerdirector 9 Ultra and Creative Director 11 Suite on the same computer.

Upgrade versions usually remove previous versions of Powerdirector.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Why do you have to keep PD7? Can't PD 11 do what you want?

Somewhere along the way PD dropped support for hi8 tapes. PD11 probably will not capture them.

As Carl said, as long as they are both full license, v7 and v11 will both install and work. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Why do you have to keep PD7? Can't PD 11 do what you want?

Somewhere along the way PD dropped support for hi8 tapes. PD11 probably will not capture them.

That is why I asked about which A/D converter. The OP could also use a digital camcorder as a pass through for the Hi 8 (If it is capable). .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
TedK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, folks. I want to keep PD7 because I have it set up to do the digitizing. And although I'm sure PD11 will do what I want, I don't want to take a chance on it not working (there are posts here about issues with video drivers, etc). I want to make sure the new car runs before I get rid of the old car. (The old computer is pretty old.)

Ted

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 02. 2013 19:24

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I have 9,10, and 11 on my machine.... they all are happy....

[Thumb - Capture.PNG]
 Filename
Capture.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
118 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
699 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 02. 2013 22:44

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi TedK

If you are intending to install PD11 on an old WinXP computer you are in for a tough time.
PD11 needs a lot more resources than a typical XP system can provide.
Download the trial first...

PatC
TedK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for all your advice - PD11 is working fine so far.

Quote: Hi TedK

If you are intending to install PD11 on an old WinXP computer you are in for a tough time.
PD11 needs a lot more resources than a typical XP system can provide.
Download the trial first...

PatC

Yeah - I figured even V7 would be a stretch. So what I have is a dedicated WinXP box that is not connected to the Internet which allowed me to disable all startup apps esp the Security ones. So this box boots with only 18% of Windoze resources used and seems to be OK with PD11 so far. If it won't let me edit i will need to load it on a more powerful box.

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for all your advice - PD11 is working fine so far.

Yeah - I figured even V7 would be a stretch. So what I have is a dedicated WinXP box that is not connected to the Internet which allowed me to disable all startup apps esp the Security ones. So this box boots with only 18% of Windoze resources used and seems to be OK with PD11 so far. If it won't let me edit i will need to load it on a more powerful box.

You do need to connect to the internet to activate the components.

You must do this within 30 days.
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=12834&prodId=4&prodVerId=930

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
I know this is a old post but i have similar question. I have power deluxe 13 installed on my computer. I would like to upgrade to the Ultra. First I want to download the trial version before purchasing. It states that I have to remove my deluxe version first. Is there any way around this?
[Post New]
I know this is a old post but i have similar question. I have power deluxe 13 installed on my computer. I would like to upgrade to the Ultra. First I want to download the trial version before purchasing. It states that I have to remove my deluxe version first. Is there any way around this?
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I know this is a old post but i have similar question. I have power deluxe 13 installed on my computer. I would like to upgrade to the Ultra. First I want to download the trial version before purchasing. It states that I have to remove my deluxe version first. Is there any way around this?
If your current version of Powerdirector 13 was an upgrade, then the new version wants to remove the old version. (Its an upgrade).

If you purchase a full version, then you can have multiple Powerdirector versions installed on the same computer. I have currently three full versions of Powerdirector installed. Powerdirector 11 suite, Powerdirector 12 Ultra and Powerdirector 13 suite. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
My power 13 deluxe is purchased. It did not have the features I thought it did. Before buying the Ultra I want to try the trial version first. To make sure this is what I want. As I stated before it is asking me to uninstall the deluxe to install the Ultra. Obviously I do not want to do this. I am guessing it is recognizing it as the same program? Not as a seperate one.

I have search inside the progam to see if I could upgrade without having to pay another full price . Since already have the base program, but see no option to do so.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 09. 2015 15:36

Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: My power 13 deluxe is purchased. It did not have the features I thought it did. Before buying the Ultra I want to try the trial version first. To make sure this is what I want. As I stated before it is asking me to uninstall the deluxe to install the Ultra. Obviously I do not want to do this. I am guessing it is recognizing it as the same program? Not as a seperate one.

I have search inside the progam to see if I could upgrade without having to pay another full price . Since already have the base program, but see no option to do so.
There is no way to upgrade or make a full version of the Trial Download.

You can purchase two types of Powerdirector, a Upgrade version or a Full version. The full version costs more money, but it is a full standalone program. The full version has no requirement of a previous version on your computer. Upgrade versions do require the previous version to be installed on your computer. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Julie, you can upgrade from PD13 Deluxe to a higher version (see this *chart*). When you open PD, click on the large PowerDirector logo at the top right, and then click on the Upgrade tab and you should get a webpage showing the cost to upgrade to each particular version.

If you recently purchased PD13 Deluxe and found it doesn't do what you need, you might want to contact customer service to see if they can help you get the correct version directly. I think that would be less expensive than having to purchase the upgrade on top of the money you spent for the Deluxe version.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, TedK,

I used PD7 on a Windows XP-based computer. When the need arose for a new computer, I got one with Windows 7 and installed PD7 onto it. But later on I stepped up to PD8 courtesy of CubbyhouseFilms(a contributor to this site from Melbourne, Australia). And from my experience, it's not possible to have two distinct Power Director versions on one computer, as installing one, the newer version, will overwrite the older version and eliminate it.

Cheers!
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
That isn't my experience. I have had PD9 on my system for several years and recently bought and installed (from CD) PD13. I haven't used PD9 much since but it still appears to work ok. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I too have multiple versions of PD with no problem like others.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2015 23:50

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
To those who claim to have one or more other(later) versions of Power Director on their computers beyond, say, the initial version the may have started with, my question is: How the hell did you get to install it(the newer version) WITHOUT it overwriting and uninstalling the earlier version? And moreso, Bubba From TX(assumedly Texas), How did you manage to install PD10 without losing PD9, then install PD11 without losing the other two?

As I've stated, when I installed PD8, it had to go though the process of uninstalling and overwriting PD7, so there's no way I could have PD7 and PD8 sitting side-by-side on my computer. If I were to re-install PD7 now, it would uninstall PD8.

This is a shame for me, in a way as, I've been using the 9 overlay video tracks available in PD8 to make my own animated titles with each letter in a nine-letter word having its own animation effect. If In need to do titles with multiple wording, I animate several other sequences with the required words in each, then I overlay them to create the complete title. Trouble is, if I try to do that final part on PD8, the letters are blurred. But if I were using PD7 the overlay would be nice and sharp, but PD7 only has 6 overlay tracks so it's a bit restrictive for the animation effects I'm trying to create.

Cheers!

Neil