Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"Rendering" while trying to work
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I've never had this happen before. I opened a project to continue working, but there's a small pop-up in the middle of the screen on the right, "Rendering" - It stays on 0% for a long time, then suddenly zooms to 100%. But when I go to play the project, Rendering starts again, staying at 0% and not moving. I've tried over and over - the project won't play, this Rendering process keeps starting over. The last time I had this project open was just last night, and it behaved perfectly normally. I've made no changes to anything on my computer.

The project's main elements are four mpg files. They're digital copies transferred from videotape. These files have been opening and playing as normal all week as I worked on the project, and they're the same sort of mpgs I've used every time I've made digital copies from tape.

The project includes sub-titles which I'm inserting and typing in one by one. This is the first time I've done that. Could they be a problem?

What could possibly be going on---??

Randy
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
IMPORTANT UPDATE!

---I discovered the problem. I'm posting the solution for other users who may possibly have this happen to them:

After posting earlier, I remembered that when I shut the computer down last night, 1 automatic update was installed. Updates happen so often, I didn't think of it.

Then today I realized that since the update was the only change on the computer since I last worked on this project, it had to be the source of the problem.

The update was only for one thing - for my video card - NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450. After rolling back the driver to the previous version through the Device Manager - I instantly had everything back to normal in PD.

So - it's a case of a driver update somehow ending up not compatible with PD. Everything else video related was working normally on the computer. I could play movies, YouTube etc - I just couldn't work in PD.

If you have that same video card - beware!

Randy B.

Quote: I've never had this happen before. I opened a project to continue working, but there's a small pop-up in the middle of the screen on the right, "Rendering" - It stays on 0% for a long time, then suddenly zooms to 100%. But when I go to play the project, Rendering starts again, staying at 0% and not moving. I've tried over and over - the project won't play, this Rendering process keeps starting over. The last time I had this project open was just last night, and it behaved perfectly normally. I've made no changes to anything on my computer.

The project's main elements are four mpg files. They're digital copies transferred from videotape. These files have been opening and playing as normal all week as I worked on the project, and they're the same sort of mpgs I've used every time I've made digital copies from tape.

The project includes sub-titles which I'm inserting and typing in one by one. This is the first time I've done that. Could they be a problem?

What could possibly be going on---??

Randy
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
This issue has been extensively covered elsewhere on this forum. I assume you've now disabled auto-update for the video card. Personally I don't allow any auto-updating on my system, I prefer to know exactly what's going on. In my experience once you've got a stable system it's best to be very circumspect with updates.

If you browse the other threads on this issue you'll see that Cyberlink have issued a patch to fix this problem with the newer Nvidia drivers but it's only for Powerdirector 11 - no help is being offered for existing customers using earlier versions.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2012 04:41

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
There is a patch update for PDR10 regarding the Nvidia driver issue.

The information given by Fenman is what I also do... and have done for years.

Dafydd
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the info and advice, Mike and Dafydd.

I admit I was so freaked out yesterday morning when PD wouldn't function, that I ran here to the Forum with my question without stopping to do a Search. Now I've done that, and see the previous recent posts about this issue. Well, maybe having the topic brought back up to the top again will help somebody else notice that there is info available.

I see on the download page that there are 6 updates for PD9 which I've never seen before. The third one down is from 2011-03-08, and "Adds support for the latest NVIDIA CUDA setup kit drivers, version 3.2." But that wouldn't do me any good now, since that update is so old now, correct?

On the older posts I've now looked at, I'm not understanding all these references I'm seeing to NVIDIA drivers "versions 301.42 and 306.23." When I rolled back my driver to clear up this problem, the Properties tab calls the driver "8.17.12.6658." It must be listed differently somewhere else, but I don't know where.

I suppose your advice would be for me to sequentially run all 6 of those PD9 updates I'm now seeing, even though I understand they won't fix this incompatibility issue with NVIDIA drivers?

--I let version 10 of PD come and go, and now I've done the same with PD11, because I haven't been very happy with P9 which I find full of awkward quirks and limitations. I haven't wanted to put more money into it, finding it difficult to have faith that a newer version will be something I could be that much happier with. Looks like the current upgrade price would be $60, not much less than I've already paid. I understand that the issue with my video card would be solved at least - I just hesitate to think PD has been transformed into a program I'd actually enjoy using.

I've never changed settings to block auto-updating, I'll go look for that on the computer.

Thanks again for your help. If you have anymore input on things I've mentioned here, it would be appreciated.

Randy
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Randy,
PDR9 - apply the very last patch, no need to apply the others.

You should step up to PDR11 - it'll bring you a bit more excitement and a refreshing change you should enjoy.

I'm currently editing a 01;44;08;43 (one hour 44min), 3 camera tracks, all HD, project. Fully sync'ed (3 cameras were used to record the event from different angles). I have more to do etc. PDR11 is great to edit with.

Dafydd
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Dafydd - AH, good, I only need to do the last patch. Great, I'll do that. And thanks for the encouraging words on PD11, it's always good to have your input. Have fun with your project!

EDIT: I meant to ask - If I had PD11, it would be able to open my PD9 projects?

Randy B.

Quote: Hi Randy,
PDR9 - apply the very last patch, no need to apply the others.

You should step up to PDR11 - it'll bring you a bit more excitement and a refreshing change you should enjoy.

I'm currently editing a 01;44;08;43 (one hour 44min), 3 camera tracks, all HD, project. Fully sync'ed (3 cameras were used to record the event from different angles). I have more to do etc. PDR11 is great to edit with.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2012 14:56

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Randy, once you've disabled auto-updating there is one other point to watch out for. With some software if you manually accept an update notification and allow it to proceed you may find updating has been set back to auto so it's worth checking.

Dafydd, thanks for pointing out the patch is also for PD10. I hadn't noticed that. However for users of this forum running "PowerDirector (9 and earlier)" that won't be of any help other than trying to persuade them to upgrade. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
I really appreciate the help I've gotten on this thread. I see that there's another thread up now on the same topic, "green rendering line problem" - makes me feel a little better that the source of this problem, NVIDIA drivers, can take users by surprise and be so alarming.

My solution for now has been to roll back my NVIDIA driver via the Properties tab in the Device Manager. I also turned off automatic updating, as per the good advice on this thread.

BUT - after a day of work yesterday, when I was shutting the computer down, I was surprised to see that 1 update was being installed. This morning when I turned the computer on again, sure enough, as I suspected, the same new, blasted NVIDIA driver had been installed again. And of course when I tested my current PD9 project, it wouldn't play. So I've started my morning with rolling back the driver again, and restoring my desktop icons since they get scrambled during the roll back for some reason.

Obviously I can't be doing this roll back maneuver every time I turn the computer on. I've looked for info, but can't see how to either delete or block the installation of this driver which was already automatically downloaded. I can only see how to delete already installed updates.

So, it's really a different issue now, and not one directly related to PD, but since it's a continuation of the original topic, I'm hoping one of you tech savvy guys can help me out. Thanks.

Randy
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Randy, once you've disabled auto-updating there is one other point to watch out for. With some software if you manually accept an update notification and allow it to proceed you may find updating has been set back to auto so it's worth checking.

Dafydd, thanks for pointing out the patch is also for PD10. I hadn't noticed that. However for users of this forum running "PowerDirector (9 and earlier)" that won't be of any help other than trying to persuade them to upgrade.

Yes, I am aware that PDR9 users are still troubled by the Nvidia drivers - a corrective patch release is unlikely.

When PDR9 was released on the 18/19th November 2010, the driver issue did not exist. Reverting to the earlier Nvidia driver is the only option available to users of the older version PDR (9). The new patch had just been released that day, specifically for PDR10

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I really appreciate the help I've gotten on this thread. I see that there's another thread up now on the same topic, "green rendering line problem" - makes me feel a little better that the source of this problem, NVIDIA drivers, can take users by surprise and be so alarming.

My solution for now has been to roll back my NVIDIA driver via the Properties tab in the Device Manager. I also turned off automatic updating, as per the good advice on this thread.

BUT - after a day of work yesterday, when I was shutting the computer down, I was surprised to see that 1 update was being installed. This morning when I turned the computer on again, sure enough, as I suspected, the same new, blasted NVIDIA driver had been installed again. And of course when I tested my current PD9 project, it wouldn't play. So I've started my morning with rolling back the driver again, and restoring my desktop icons since they get scrambled during the roll back for some reason.

Obviously I can't be doing this roll back maneuver every time I turn the computer on. I've looked for info, but can't see how to either delete or block the installation of this driver which was already automatically downloaded. I can only see how to delete already installed updates.

So, it's really a different issue now, and not one directly related to PD, but since it's a continuation of the original topic, I'm hoping one of you tech savvy guys can help me out. Thanks.

Randy

For me it is the Firewall settings that prevent software programs accessing the net, I have each refer/pip up a dialogue box and I either allow or deny. Some programs have a check box to look for updates.
Dafydd
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the new replies, Dafydd

What I'm wondering is if I'm now stuck with the computer re-installing this unwanted driver update every time I power down? It was already downloaded and installed that first day. I'm hoping there's a way to now block it being re-installed with every boot, because it's already a pain in the backside, the way I had to start my day with rolling back the driver again and re-establishing my desktop icons.

Randy
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
All driver's I have downloaded are "unpacked" to and installed from: C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver

I haven't done the following but if you change the driver/folder name you should in theory stop the auto install selection of the driver content.

As I've mentioned - just theory, I don't know what your PC setup is for your OS selections, driver updates or download arrangements and such.

Dafydd
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: All driver's I have downloaded are "unpacked" to and installed from: C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver

I haven't done the following but if you change the driver/folder name you should in theory stop the auto install selection of the driver content...

OK, I'll try that, ready to change the name back if that makes something go haywire. What a drag, though, that there isn't some standard way to tell the computer to not run that install routine. Dang.

Thanks much for your help, Dafydd.

RB
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I have noticed that Microsoft is trying to upgrade the Nvidia Video drivers via Microsoft update.

You can change your Microsoft update setting to always ask before downloading or installing. That way you get the chance to uncheck the update in the update dialog.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I have noticed that Microsoft is trying to upgrade the Nvidia Video drivers via Microsoft update.

You can change your Microsoft update setting to always ask before downloading or installing. That way you get the chance to uncheck the update in the update dialog.

Hi, Carl - Thanks for the reply. Following the advice earlier on this thread, I now have things set as you're saying, so the updates don't automatically download and install. My problem is that the NVIDIA driver update was both downloaded and installed before I changed these auto settings. I've rolled back the driver so I can still use PD9, but now when I boot up my machine, it still automatically installs the update. I'm having to roll back every time I turn on the machine.

In other words, there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent an update from installing and re-installing every danged time, once it's already been downloaded.-----

RB
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
How to remove a update: All from the Windows 7 Help and support.

In the Windows 7 control panel

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Change settings

In the Change Settings Window:
If you uncheck "Give me Recommended update the same way I receive Important Updates"

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update
If you click on the View Update History, you will see a list of the installed updates.

How to remove a update: From Microsoft Help.
Remove an update

To help enhance the security and performance of your computer, we do not recommend removing updates.

Click to open Installed Updates.

Click the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you want, you can reinstall the update later by going to Windows Update in Control Panel and checking again for updates. To stop Windows from installing or notifying you about an update, see Troubleshoot problems with removing updates.

Note
If you can't remove an update, your computer might be connected to a network where updates are managed by Group Policy. In other cases, you might not be able to remove an update because it applies to a security-related area of the operating system. If you think an update that you can't remove is causing problems, contact your system administrator or your organization's technical support group, or see Troubleshoot problems with removing updates.

To find the link to remove an update:
Start > Help and Support. Search for "Remove an update" without quotes.

Click on the link "Remove an update".
In my help is the item #2.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: How to remove a update: All from the Windows 7 Help and support...

Hi, Carl - Very good of you to post the Windows Help text. I looked that up and read it this morning at 6:30 AM when I was facing the problem with too little coffee. At the time I was thinking it couldn't apply to my situation, because I'd already dialed back the driver again. I'm more awake now! hehe - All I need to do is go ahead and let this re-install again, then follow those Help steps to remove the update. See what happens when we try to figure something out when we're not awake enough, and too PO'd?

I'll do that in the morning when I boot up again. Thanks for helping me see the light!

RB
Carl312
[Post New]
It is just a shot in the dark.

I hope it does you some good.

I do know that you pretty much have to let the update complete then you can remove it.

Good Luck!

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: It is just a shot in the dark.

I hope it does you some good.

I do know that you pretty much have to let the update complete then you can remove it.

Good Luck!

Exactly, I was too fuzzy headed this morning. I'll let it install, then follow those simple instructions to delete the update. I'll let you know how it goes, Carl!

RB