Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
3730 patch causes dvd drive thrashing
xappie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2007 22:29 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all

After installing the newest patch for PDVD Ultra, whenever I play regular DVDs my DVD drive thrashes around a lot during playback. I can hear the drive seeking back and forth or something - it's quite distracting. The playback itself is fine, but the drive is doing something weird. When I play HD disks, there is no problem.

Anyone else have this problem or know a fix? For now I am going back to the last version which doesn't have this issue.

tia

xappie [Avatar]
[Post New]
NO ONE else has this issue? I just tried installing the patch again, and I get the same issue...
steady_eddie [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Feb 13, 2008 16:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem with drive thrashing. I've rattled off an inquiry to Cyberlink - hope they'll respond soon... And I still cannot get past the menu on "3.10 to Yuma" Blu-Ray (Region B). This, I'm told, is a known issue and is being worked on at present.
Matthew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 20, 2008 07:37 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have exactly the same problem.

My drive is an NEC 4551A. (I don't have a Blu-Ray / HD-DVD drive installed at the moment) The problem occurs on patches 3704 and 3730 - the only way I can solve the problem is by going back to 3516.

It's very irritating and makes watching DVDs really unpleasant - I've also noticed:

In build 3516, the drive isn't accessed at all when playback is stopped / paused, and when it's playing it's being accessed "lightly" and makes hardly any noise.

In builds 3704 and 3740, the drive is being accessed "lightly" even when playback is stopped or paused, and when I start to play it becomes very noisy. It's as if it's trying to do two things at once and having to seek between them.

I've also emailed Cyberlink about it but just got a reply to download the latest patch (which of course is what caused the problem) - I will reply again and see what happens!
Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 20, 2008 05:58 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Apparently a lot of drives don't slow down to DVD video speeds (ie: 1x) even when they should, they stay revved up in DVD-ROM data reading mode (ie: 16x). I think the application has a lot to do with it.

You can install Nero DriveSpeed and limit the speed of DVD playback. Also, Slysoft AnyDVD HD has a speed limiter. I don't know if this will help, but you can try?
Matthew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Apparently a lot of drives don't slow down to DVD video speeds (ie: 1x) even when they should, they stay revved up in DVD-ROM data reading mode (ie: 16x). I think the application has a lot to do with it.

You can install Nero DriveSpeed and limit the speed of DVD playback. Also, Slysoft AnyDVD HD has a speed limiter. I don't know if this will help, but you can try?

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already tried this (and use Drivespeed anyway!)

There are basically two types of sounds that come from my drive - one is simply the drive spinning, which is loud by default and completely silent if I change to a lower speed using Drivespeed.

The other is a "seek" sound, which is the sound the drive seems to make when it's looking for something on the disk. I've always heard this sound a bit when disks are loading, the difference is that since the latest patch it's continuous. This sound isn't changed at all by using Drivespeed. If I turn up the speed to full speed using drivespeed then it's just about drowned out by the spinning but that doesn't exactly solve the problem!
Matthew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just a quick update to say that I've had a reply from Cyberlink:

"In regard to your concern, we like to inform you that this is a bug in the latest build of the PowerDVD Ultra software.

This issue is already being escalated to our research and development team. Soon they will release a update that will fix this issue of the PowerDVD Ultra software."

Hopefully they really are working on it for the next build!
xappie [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the update! That's great news.
Eric [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2007 22:59 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Argh! Can't stand seeing these canned responses. Exact same thing is said when there is BD or HDDVD title that doesn't play in PDVD. Ah well. I hope this fixes your issue. I personally have not experienced with my drive.
Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 20, 2008 05:58 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Yes I can see the problem now. Other software players don't have this effect. Hope the next patch comes soon!
M-A [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 29, 2008 18:36 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Same here since the 3730 patch... Went back to 3516 and it's silent.

DVD drive is a Pioneer DVR-115D with the latest firmware, OS is Vista x64.

No wonder they have trouble with BluRay, they can't even get standard DVDs to play well...
Matthew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Anyone know if the 3730a patch fixes this? I can't test it at the moment!
Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
The 3730a patch fix it.