Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
nVidia installer does not accept 301.42 drivers for my graphics card
sheltiephil
Newbie Location: Tasmania, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2012 09:31 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I posted this previously but the item appeared then disappeared from this forum. I have just purchased the new nVidia GTX 650 graphics card and downloaded a trial of PowerDirector 11 Ultra. PD11 kept stalling with the continuous rendering problem that PD9, PD10 and PD11 users have reported when using 306.23 drivers with nVidia cards. I thoroughly uninstalled the version 306.23 drivers that came with the card and attempted to install the 301.42 drivers as recommended in this forum. I received the pop-up: "NVidia installer cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware." So, I could not install drivers that would make the newly released graphics card work with PD11. I do not know how to utilize the onboard graphics rather than the purchased card, and would rather not, because it was installed to accelerate editing. So, PD11 Ultra is unusable. Can somebody recommend a work-around? Are there others who cannot make their late model cards work with the rolled back drivers?
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
HI,
I believe it is the 'cuda' driver in the 306.?? version that causes the problem. There is a post on the forum of a member who like you uses the 306 driver for his card but disables the 'Cuda' module. Through Nvidia control panel and has had good results.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
[Post New]
The nVidia Gtx6xx cards do not support the 301.42 driver. You can not rollback to that driver.

The workaround of disabling cores is the best solution at this time.
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Fred B
The nVidia Gtx6xx cards do not support the 301.42 driver. You can not rollback to that driver.

The workaround of disabling cores is the best solution at this time.

GTX 650 was released after the 301 drivers, the 301 drivers at that time supported ALL released GTX 6 series ie:

◦GeForce GTX 690
◦GeForce GTX 680
◦GeForce GTX 670
◦GeForce GT 600-series GPUs

I would find it hard to believe that nVidia released a later card that these 301 drivers did not support.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Oct 09. 2012 20:18

Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I posted this previously but the item appeared then disappeared from this forum. I have just purchased the new nVidia GTX 650 graphics card and downloaded a trial of PowerDirector 11 Ultra. PD11 kept stalling with the continuous rendering problem that PD9, PD10 and PD11 users have reported when using 306.23 drivers with nVidia cards. I thoroughly uninstalled the version 306.23 drivers that came with the card and attempted to install the 301.42 drivers as recommended in this forum. I received the pop-up: "NVidia installer cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware." So, I could not install drivers that would make the newly released graphics card work with PD11. I do not know how to utilize the onboard graphics rather than the purchased card, and would rather not, because it was installed to accelerate editing. So, PD11 Ultra is unusable. Can somebody recommend a work-around? Are there others who cannot make their late model cards work with the rolled back drivers?

Using the CD/DVD that came with your card install the drivers on that using the generic installer on the disc. Check the version using the nVidia control panel, then go to the nVidia site and download the 301's from the 'legacy' section IF YOU WANT, and install without removing the previous drivers, you are present with an option for a 'clean' install during the process, click on that if you want but NOT necessary.

If above fails go to the forum for your Motherboard or other tech site as it is not a fault of PD

Windows 7 X64 SP1
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
[Post New]
Most of the early versions of the 6xx cards were shipped with their OWN VERSION of the 300 WHQL drivers if supported (301.10) . Nvidia tests the drivers against specific GPUs and adds them as supported products if they pass the tests. Nvidia does not design GPUs to support older drivers, they create NEW drivers to support NEW GPU features. Do NOT expect ALL old drivers to be supported by ALL new GPUs

The best way to search for your supported Nvidia drivers is to go to:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us and enter your card and OS (and language if necessary).
OR http://www.geforce.com/Drivers (for Geforce Cards)
If Nvidia recommends the driver for their GPU, it will be on the list. If it is NOT on the list, I caution you against installing it!!!

Notebooks and some systems may require additional steps or cautions, so be aware that failure to read these cautions WILL require a "restore point" for some machine to function normally (mostly laptops and some Dell and Gateway machines).
(SIDE NOTE: THIS IS WHY I ALWAYS ASK FOR THE DXDIAG.TXT FILE. EACH SYSTEM REACTS DIFFERENTLY AND NO PROBLEMS ARE "THE SAME AS SOMEONE ELSE'S")

sheltiephil;
I saw this post just before it disappeared and it is nice to see it back!!! The above (and workaround below) applies to your system.
It is NOT recommended (as djmorgan suggested) that you install LEGACY drivers OLDER than the card or not found on the list provided by the sites mentioned above.

The workaround of creating a 3d profile in nVidia Control panel for their version of PowerDirector, and disabling CUDA cores, has resolved the issues for MOST users. This is a temporary fix to allow PD11 and other programs to work until nVidia fixes the problem.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Oct 09. 2012 21:21

djmorgan
[Post New]
FredB
It is NOT recommended (as djmorgan suggested) that you install LEGACY drivers

You have a problem with comprehension!

Since when does "IF YOU WANT" constitute a recommendation? simply, the OP may want the opportunity to see if 301 works on his card, if not he rolls back or re-installs off his original disc.

Windows 7 X64 SP1
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
[Post New]
djmorgan;

I have no problem with comprehension and you will PLEASE keep your derisive comments to yourself!!

I am cautioning users against using their systems as "test platforms" to see if something works, especially since there is a workaround that already works. Keeping it simple is the best approach!

The "CUDA core disabling workaround" (can't remember who first wrote it down here, but thanks to them) allows PD10 and PD11 to work, until nVidia finds a fix.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2012 21:34

djmorgan
[Post New]
FredB
I have no problem with comprehension and you will PLEASE keep your derisive comments to yourself!!

I was not mocking or jeering you nor was I showing that I think you are stupid, unimportant, or useless I simply felt you were not capable of understanding the written English word and its meaning given you thought I was making a recommendation.

I can be 'derisive' if you want me to!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2012 21:42

Windows 7 X64 SP1
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
[Post New]
I believe I wrote that "djmorgan suggested", but this is all semantics. Again, I am stating that your comments are inappropriate and detrimental to the forum and border on personal attack. Please cease and desist.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 09. 2012 22:00

djmorgan
[Post New]
For the sake of peace and serenity lets agree to disagree Fred and move on, the thread has gone OT

David Windows 7 X64 SP1
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
sheltiephil
Newbie Location: Tasmania, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2012 09:31 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I want to thank you, FredB, for the workaround : It has worked for me. Less experienced people, you click on Manage 3D Settings in the nVidia control panel which is accessed by right-clicking the desktop. In Manage 3D Settings, you click on Programs, then Add, and browse for your PowerDirector Setup file in C:\Programs. When you click on the Setup file, PowerDirector appears at the top of page as a program, then you click on CUDA - GPUs, then the arrow, and click to create a dot next to the empty unticked box for GPUs, and then Apply. This disables CUDA, and presto, when you open PowerDirector 9, 10 or 11 the rendering problem has been solved! It is a pity of course that we can't use the hardware acceleration of CUDA, and let's hope a new nVidia driver will address this problem. It's disappointing that the latest nVidia driver, released today/yesterday October 10; ie, Version 306.97 doesn't address the rendering problem, but once CUDA is disabled as FredB has outlined and I have described, the new driver enables PowerDirector to be used. When you look at Hardware Acceleration in Preferences, CUDA is greyed out but hardware decoding can be ticked. Anyway, thanks FredB. In the driver release notes nVidia warn against rolling back to Version 301.42 from later drivers that came with your graphics card. I've written to nVidia about the problems with 306.23 and have received a support ticket, and am waiting for a response. Now I must write to them about the continuing problem with 306.97. The more Cyberlink users that write to them, perhaps, the more likely that nVidia will address the problem with a driver update. Thanks again FredB. - Regards, Phil
sheltiephil
[Post New]
"The workaround of creating a 3d profile in nVidia Control panel for their version of PowerDirector, and disabling CUDA cores, has resolved the issues for MOST users. This is a temporary fix to allow PD11 and other programs to work until nVidia fixes the problem" - FredB.

Yes, thanks FredB, as I've written, this was a workaround for me, but one of the big attractions of the Geforce cards is CUDA, and having hardware acceleration swayed me to download the trial of PowerDirector 11 Ultra, to take advantage of CUDA. I've been corresponding with nVidia support but they have just made rote suggestions of installing in Safe Mode, choosing Custom Install, Clean Installation, and so on. I've followed all of those suggestions, of course. Cyberlink have so far ignored that I could get PD11 working by disabling CUDA for that program in their driver Control Panel. I've told them that the problem persists with the brand new nVidia driver Version 306.97, released yesterday. Now I’m waiting to hear back.

People like me with the newest Geforce cards that came with driver version 306.23, and not 301.42, are the ones that can’t roll back and thereby use CUDA.

Fred (and others), I wonder whether this really is a nVidia driver problem. Could it possibly be something requiring a patch from Cyberlink? I wouldn’t have thought so, because nVidia have previously released a driver that fully works with Cyberlink’s latest products. Does anybody have a strong opinion on this one question of whether the problem lies with Cyberlink or nVidia, so that users of new Geforce cards affected know who should be pressed for a solution? - Phil
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
re:
Could it possibly be something requiring a patch from Cyberlink?
Patch from CyberLink, certainly being worked on and will be released asap.
Forum Moderator
sheltiephil
[Post New]
Thank you Dafydd (Moderator). It is really good to know that a Cyberlink patch is being worked on for release ASAP! It is a relief to get to the bottom of the problem and knowing that it will be solved makes me keen to buy PD11 Ultra when it is. It now feels worthwhile to fully explore my trial version. Does that mean that I can tell nVidia that this problem will be solved, as I still have a support ticket open with them? As said, PD11 Ultra appeals in so many ways, and the brand new Geforce GTX 650 will be a popular card to use with it, employing CUDA when the patch is released. This new Geforce card will be popular with video editors because it is plenty fast enough, but uses low power and runs quiet and cool, unlike more powerful cards for gaming. So, we can hope for a dynamic combination of graphics card and program! Thanks for letting us know.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi sheltiephil ,
I'm sure Cyberlink and nVidia are working on the issue together and you're ticket should remain open with nVidia.
Dafydd
sheltiephil
[Post New]
"I'm sure Cyberlink and nVidia are working on the issue together and your ticket should remain open with nVidia."

Excellent! Thanks Dafydd
[Post New]
I cross my fingers,
This patch has to be available before Windows 8 launch time, otherwise I am afraid PD10 & 11 wiil not work under Windows 8 platform and nvidia drivers, which would be a big issue. This rendering pb, which make PD unworkable, has indeed started to show with certified Windows 8 drivers...

As for me, I'll stick to Windows 7 and the last Nvidia operational driver, until a solution is ready.

Cheers,
[Post New]
I'm getting old waiting - c'mon CL!!!!! i7 3820, Asrock X79 Extreme 3, 16GB 2133 G Skill, 2 x GTX560, Corsair TX750V2, Sandisk 120GB SSD, Barracuda 2TB HDD, PD9