Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
As I predicted, PowerDirector 14 has Hardware-acceleration for H.265 encoding
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
4K HEVC MKV files? 30 min long? With transitions, titles etc. ?

When I try that, PB from the time line will stutter w/o SF. Producing, rendering 4K HEVC is not a problem and works at app double real time.

Eugene

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 30. 2015 15:21

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
Anders Bixbe [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sweden Joined: Apr 05, 2012 16:55 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
As I have explained in several other threads here I also render HEVC clips with PD14 from my Samsung NX1 with text, transitions and trimming without problems. I save the HEVC videos (longest so far 61 min.) on my HDD:s. I convert a version to H.264 (XAVC-S MP4 100Mbps) for uploading to YouTube where one can watch it. If you have a broadband better than 100Mbps you should have no problem to watch it in 4K when the ethernet is not so busy. With Chrome codec vp9 you can monitor your connection speed in the nerd info.

I find that HEVC 37Mbps MP4 is as good as H.264 100Mbps and the render time is the same 1,7X realtime with HA. There is though an artefact with strange lines at the bottom on some of the rendered HEVC H.265 clips.

Actually I don´t know what "shadow files" is. My preview is in HD (better than in PD 11 and PD13). Corsair Vengeance C70, Asus Geforce GTX 1060
Asus Prime Z370-A, Corsair RMx 850, Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2. Windows 10,
Corsair Vengeance LP 2X16Gb DDR4 RAM,Intel i7-8700K

Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Shadow files or Proxy Editing Files, are lower resolution to reduce CPU load while editing.

The original resolution, imported files are used when rendering the output to DVD or what ever.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: under Specs I found:
PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the video hardware acceleration feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver.

In the PD14 comparison Chart I found this:

nVidia & Intel H.265 (HEVC) Hardware EncodingNEW
-

nVidia, Intel & AMD H.265 (HEVC) Hardware Decoding NEW

Does this mean you have to choose between en/decoding support (new drivers) and cuda acceleration? (old drivers)

a bit confusing
Achim

here's the PD14 & GTX 960 in action or inaction. someone said a picture is worth a thousand words...

* HA is ON.

PepsiMan
[Thumb - 2015-09-28_211415.jpg]
 Filename
2015-09-28_211415.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
NX1 HEVC to AVC @176Mb/sec w titles & transitions
 Filesize
830 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
196 time(s)
[Thumb - 2015-09-28_211926.jpg]
 Filename
2015-09-28_211926.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
NX1 HEVC to HEVC @50Mb/sec w titles & transitions
 Filesize
834 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
166 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2015 18:39

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
mel57 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2015 19:01 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
at least I ordered a GTX960 hoping that PD will be able soon to exhaust its full decoding potential and/or enable proxy editing for HEVC files.

Once it arrived I will report my experience

Mel
mel57 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2015 19:01 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
The MSi GTX960 4 GB Decoding unit works perfect.....as long I use the MPC-HC x65 software player. Smooth video playback with 0-9% CPU load.....the same load I have without playing back a HEVC at all.

But PD13 and Magix video deluxe seem not to use the GTX960 decoding unit. CPU load is still 70-100% and the video is stuttering. But as Magix does allow proxy files from h.265 files, it is much more usable. On the other hand- the video deluxe is causing me sleepless nights because it can´t open audio from my GH2 .mts files and the promised codec can´t be downloaded at all.

This is all very frustrating and I come to the conclusion that it is a little bit to early for (easy) 4K editing.

Mel
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The MSi GTX960 4 GB Decoding unit works perfect.....as long I use the MPC-HC x65 software player. Smooth video playback with 0-9% CPU load.....the same load I have without playing back a HEVC at all.

But PD13 and Magix video deluxe seem not to use the GTX960 decoding unit. CPU load is still 70-100% and the video is stuttering. But as Magix does allow proxy files from h.265 files, it is much more usable. On the other hand- the video deluxe is causing me sleepless nights because it can´t open audio from my GH2 .mts files and the promised codec can´t be downloaded at all.

This is all very frustrating and I come to the conclusion that it is a little bit to early for (easy) 4K editing.

To me they have a implementation issue, at least on my systems. They use the GPU for media library playback decoding (shown in pic) but not timeline playback (other pic). Of course this depends on PD pref settings for HA. This behavior appears strange to me.

Jeff
[Thumb - gtx960_load.png]
 Filename
gtx960_load.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
628 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
182 time(s)
[Thumb - gtx960_load_TL.png]
 Filename
gtx960_load_TL.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
498 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
161 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2015 21:39

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
To me they have a implementation issue, at least on my systems. They use the GPU for media library playback decoding (shown in pic) but not timeline playback (other pic). Of course this depends on PD pref settings for HA. This behavior appears strange to me.

Interesting, and nice catch !

Is this issue specific to H.265 ? Or are you seeing it with H.264 as well ?

Of course, the GPU load might be lower with H.264 hardware decoding. Perhaps try to playback a 4K H.264 file in the timeline to push the needle a bit more.

The next test would be to do a rendering with the software encoder to see if the hardware H.265 decoder gets utilized at all not for this case. The GPU load % might be low if you render in software at full resolution. Maybe try to render a 4K clip to a low resolution in software, and see if the hardware decoder gets used. Again, it would be good to do this test with both H.264 and H.265 .

I have done this a long time ago with H.264 and on older GPU hardware (pre-nvEnc), and older PD. Back then, PD was definitely utilizing the hardware decoder at all times. This was easily noticeable without even looking at any GPU tool because simply turning on/off the "use hardware deocding" setting box in PowerDirector would shorten software rendering times.

It would be good to see if this setting box still has the same effect on rendering times for H.264 on current GPUs, and whether it has any effect on H.265 . I can do the former test, but I can't do the later since I returned my GTX960 at this time, so I don't have any GPU with H.265 hardware decode capability.

Hopefully, it's just another bug on the Cyberlink side for H.265 . But it's also possible that the nVidia API for the H.264 and H.265 hardware decoders is different, and the H.265 decoder can only decode straight to the display, as would be the case when playing back a clip, and not to a buffer in RAM, which would be needed for timeline playback, or for rendering. I hope that's not the case.I haven't seriously programmed any graphics since my DOS days hacking the VGA card in assembly 20+ years ago, so I don't have any idea about the modern Windows graphic APIs. MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Take a look at the beta patch - might be worth applying. I will be using the beta patch fix on my system.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45816.page#236780
Dafydd
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
I've been hearing comments about Windows 10 lately that make me wary about putting it on my computer. Already a friend of mine who lives in the same Housing Commission block as me had installed Eindows 10 on his computer and now his DVD rewrite drives(he has two on his computer) won't work because Win10 doesn't have the necessary software to recognise them. He's had other problems as well with Win10 and that's enough to put me off WIN10 for the forseeable future. I'll stay with Windows 7 with this computer, thanks!

Cheers!

Neil.
[Post New]
Quote: I've been hearing comments about Windows 10 lately that make me wary about putting it on my computer. Already a friend of mine who lives in the same Housing Commission block as me had installed Eindows 10 on his computer and now his DVD rewrite drives(he has two on his computer) won't work because Win10 doesn't have the necessary software to recognise them. He's had other problems as well with Win10 and that's enough to put me off WIN10 for the forseeable future. I'll stay with Windows 7 with this computer, thanks!

Cheers!

Neil.

Windows 10 will fail......long live Windows Media Center!!!!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I apologise for typographic errors which have appeared on my posts. It seems my keyboard sometimes exhibits a will of its own and if I hit a key for one letter, another semingly jumps in, in place of the wanted letter. I generally refer to this phenomenon as "Keyboard Gremlins". This can be very frustrating and can make one look like an uneducated "goose"! You only pick up on typo errors long after posting and it's quite embarrassing.

From Neil Forbes
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi!

Windows Media Centre kicks in when I load a DVD into my computer disc drive. I rarely use it for viewing anything stored on my hard-drives, I generally play them through Windows Media Player. I have VLC but hardly use it unless there's a video in a format that Windows Media Player doesn't support.

Cheers!

Neil.