Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Windows 8 -vs- Windows 7 performance
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Here is a good article from PC World magazine comparing 7 and 8's performance. Granted it was done for gaming, but the benchmarks they used are the standard ones for testing a operation system.

You may be surprised to find out that Windows 8 is only marginally better than Windows 7 and in some aspects the same or not as good.

Not good enough to trade Windows 7 for windows 8. Yet... All other versions of Windows... of course... I played with the developers version for a little over two months. Everything I had worked with 8, I never had any issues... I will wait until I get a new machine that comes with it... I wont trade out my existing windows 7 machines....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2011088/pc-gaming-performance-on-windows-8-a-hard-data-analysis.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 04. 2012 14:43

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
MS may have taken a wrong direction with 8, certainly have from my point of view and it seems many others

http://hexus.net/business/news/general-business/42093-windows-8-preview-take-up-relatively-sluggish/

David Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Since my last post, I have gone to win 8 Pro permanently on both my machines, (desktop, laptop) and the wife got one of the new 17 inch laptops with the i7 processor. It came with PD10. It runs PD fine. Actually it is a really nice computer.

Also some of you I have talked to recently in here have gone to all Windows 8 from Win7 and XP also.

You can download a free app to give you the classic desktop, as in it will start up on the desktop instead of the metro start page in Win 8 called "classic desktop".

Windows 8 is a liar. (Microsoft too) When they talk about the "metro" experience. Most of your software will kick you into the desktop when you run it anyway. Not metro involved. Even some of the "native" windows 8 software I have downloaded will kick you into the desktop when it is ran. I have found there is not a single one of the 100+ desktop icon programs I run will go into the metro start page so the metro thing is a complete waste to me and a lot of people.

If I had touch screens then it would be different I would assume. But I am not likely to find that out. The metro side is interesting (it is called something besides metro now) and it does work. But it takes more clicks and strokes to get to everything.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 24. 2013 13:57

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Here is a good article from PC World magazine comparing 7 and 8's performance. Granted it was done for gaming, but the benchmarks they used are the standard ones for testing a operation system.

You may be surprised to find out that Windows 8 is only marginally better than Windows 7 and in some aspects the same or not as good.

I ran Win 8 Beta when it first came out, and of all the applications I ran,, none were any better than Win 7...on my machine. When the released version came out, I upgraded hoping for improved performance...I am still hoping , And the Metro is a pain for a standard desktop user, so I installed the "classic startup" as soon as it was available. And now you can barely detect which is Win 7 and which is Win 8... Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bubba,
The "classic shell" is not going to be added to my PC for the moment at least. I'm getting used to the new look and working through it. The access to a diagnostic file threw me at the beginning but in general the interface for W8 is initially different but adjustable to.

I've installed PDR11 and as has been mentioned the desktop interface shows it with an icon shortcut just as in W7. The desktop interface adapts and becomes the standard initial display rather than the "metro" interface. The latter remains accessible via the cursor placement to the bottom left of one's screen. Other controls are available bottom right. Quite different from the "classic shell".

The "classic shell" was installed onto one laptop at the beginning and it is similar to the previous styles. Since that laptop is being replaced due to external damage it is likely the w8 facia will remain the preferred option. Navigation for me hasn't proved a problem. I have added a Diag.exe shortcut and like the installed software this appears in both the Startup (metro) display and the desktop display.

I'm sure editors that load their task bar and there desktop with icon shortcuts wont see any hassle. the access to shut down and Control Panel are just in a different location.

I have the OEM Windows 8 Pro installed. On my new Video Editing Unit - I don't have any hassle using it.... so far

Dafydd