Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video corruption in Hugo 3D (but only in 3D mode)
Ben Ryves [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 06, 2009 19:03 Messages: 61 Offline
[Post New]
The UK Blu-ray 3D version of "Hugo" displays flickering corruption on my screen when played in 3D (but not in 2D) on my PC. You can see it in this photo of the screen (click here - 3D on the top, 2D on the bottom) and here is a short video:

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what might be causing this. I have two other Blu-ray 3D discs (Coraline and Sanctum 3D) and both play flawlessly. I have updated my video drivers to the latest version (I'm using a Radeon HD 6770) and the issue persists.

I downloaded the trial of ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 to see if it was a software issue and that exhibited exactly the same problem. If I disable hardware acceleration in TMT 5 I don't notice the corruption, but as it plays back incredibly jerkily I could be missing the corrupted frames (on a side note, Coraline plays back a bit more smoothly without hardware acceleration than Hugo).

I thought it might be a disc issue so exchanged the disc for a different copy. This did not help.

My monitor (LG DM2780D) has a row-interleaved micro-polariser and supports native HDMI 1.4 3D. Switching between these modes does not help the issue, so I don't think the corruption is coming from the monitor either.

Could the Blu-ray drive cause such issues? I'm using a fairly old one (Sony BDU-X10S) which is a 2x drive and I would have expected this to be sufficient for Blu-ray 3D playback. I'd expect dropped frames or otherwise jerky playback if the drive was too slow, however, not smooth but corrupted video.

I'd greatly appreciate hearing any suggestions!

Edit: I can further report that it's only the right eye view that is affected. If I close my left eye I can see the corruption, but if I close my right eye (or switch to 2D output whilst playing the 3D version of the film, which presumably just displays the left eye's view) the video appears correctly.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
323 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 26. 2012 17:58

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Just a guess. Since other disc play OK and you changed out the DVD. it may just be that the DRM protection on that disc is causing the issue. Did you Google for that problem? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Ben Ryves [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure how I could check that. I have used AnyDVD HD to copy the .ssif file to my hard disk drive (which would ignore the DRM) but I don't have anything that can play this file with hardware acceleration. (I get the same corruption if I play the Blu-ray in PowerDVD 12 with AnyDVD HD loaded, but I'm not sure if that would be bypassing the DRM or not).

Stereoscopic Player plays the video back fine but very jerkily, presumably as it's using a software decoder.

I don't think it would be the DRM in the monitor (HDCP) which causes the issue as the corruption appears in the same place in the video regardless of whether the film is played back full screen, windowed or in HDMI 1.4 3D mode.
Ben Ryves [Avatar]
[Post New]
I thought I'd bump this thread as I'm having the same issue still - I recently installed Windows 8 and that should have cleared out any dodgy 3rd party drivers or incorrect video card driver settings. PowerDVD was one of the first things I installed (specifically so I could check this issue) and the problem remains. In addition, Dredd 3D also shows the same corruption that Hugo 3D displays, so it's not release-specific.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
please check this thread:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/27132.page#148114

maybe some coincidence

Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Ben Ryves [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, that's exactly it!

I uninstalled my AMD drivers (using Programs and Features, selecting Change for the AMD Catalyst Install Manager and opting for an Express Uninstall) and the bundled Windows 8 one, rebooted and installed Catalyst 11.12 (the latest 11.x available) and Blu-ray 3D played back flawlessly using the display driver 8.920.0.0000. I created a System Restore point and installed the Catalyst 12.x drivers packages in sequence - all versions up to and including 12.6 use the same display driver (8.920.0.0000) but update the Media Foundation Decoders (without breaking anything). 12.8 (there is no 12.7) introduces display driver 8.982.0.0000, after which point Blu-ray 3D playback is corrupted. I rolled back to my System Restore point I had created after installing 11.12, reinstalled 12.6 and everything works beautifully (albeit with fairly ancient drivers).

Thank you so much.