Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
beginner needs help
Mark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 22, 2008 10:58 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have been looking through the forum and could not find what I was looking for. I am in the process of downloading the trial version but before I get into it, I would like to ask a simple question.

All I want to do with this software is take movies/shows I have saved from TV (in mpeg format) and edit them to remove the commercials and extra junk on the front and back end of the shows, then burn the commercial free show back to DVD. Will this software do that? And is the process easy for a beginner to learn?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
The answer is yes - PD6 can edit delete and the learning curve is easy.

The one area to be careful of is the TV capture source itself - just make sure the format is a standard mpeg2 file format and then let the SVRT capability get to work. SVRT will recognize unaltered video and make the final output process faster.

Trials have limitations.

Dafydd
armano [Avatar]
Newbie Location: El Salvador Joined: Jan 01, 2007 10:18 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
1.Very simple to split/delete (cut out) parts of the video you don't want no matter where they are in your original video.
2. Burn to DVD is another simple function with this software.
3.Now, I've never used a trial version of the software, I asume it has limitations being a trial.[list] No more error messages!
No more crashes!
Great looking videos!!
Mark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 22, 2008 10:58 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I understand the trial version will have limits. I just want to make sure it is easy to use and will do what I am looking for.

I capture TV shows/movies with TiVo and convert the files to mpeg with a different software. The software I use only saves the movie as an mpeg-1 file, not 2, 3 or 4. Is that going to be a problem with PD6?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Mpeg1 is NOT a problem for PD6.

An mpeg1 file is on a par with analogue quality - it can only be recorded as 4:3 footage.

PD6 can record from a TV-in signal - depends upon your equipment etc.

Dafydd

Doug [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2008 11:11 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I hadn't thought about using PowerDirector to record and save TV shows. That sounds like it will work.

Now, I record TV onto my hard drive using my Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 tuner in my computer. I believe it saves the file as a MPEG-2 format. Then if I wanted to shorten the file (remove commercials, too much intro and too much post), I'd try to bring it into Nero or ULead freeware programs to cut. I found it took forever (6+ hours) to render the cuts back into a new file. Too much time! I'd leave the computer running all night and go to bed.

Since I use PD for my home camcorder video and digital photo creations and save to DVD, the TV show (I like to record sports events) use sounds like a great idea.

I'll have to try it tonight.

Thanks,
(not really a PD beginner...only about 6 month experience and 1/2 dozen projects under my belt)

Doug