Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Motherboard, new problem PD10 problem.
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
I just upgraded my system to an Asus P8Z77 WS M'board with onboard Intel Graphics, from a previous Asus M'board without onboard graphics. My main graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 680. This has been superb for rendering video files in PD10. After installing and setting up, PD10 was put to the test and rendered superbly.

I then decided to enable the on-board intel graphics and make use of that gpu to see what performance I might achieve, and I was shocked to discover that after I enabled it PD10 would crash upon starting. Something that I have never had happen. After trying a few times and rebooting it would not start, but would crash every time. I disabled the on-board graphics, however that did not stop PD10 from crashing upon start up. I then restored the system back to an earlier time when the on-board graphics had not been enabled and I can thankfully say, PD10 has returned to former self, and once again works superbly.

I mention all this because I have read from time to time, on this forum, about folk who cannot get PD10 to start, I begin to wonder if the onboard graphics card is something to consider as the problem. Perhaps mine is a one off. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I'm interested in what you did to enable/disable on-board graphics? There have been a number of threads on combining intel quicksynch with discrete cards and the issues that arise :

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/23553.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/23537.page

I have an Asus i5 laptop with intel QS and a 1Gb GT520M and I have the choice at any program launch as to which GPU to use for that program. I can also set up the settings to apply for that program in the NVidia control panel. I have no problems with PD using either GPU, although the Intel QS seems to be considerably faster :
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22732.page

I note the specs for your mobo include LucidLogix Virtu MVP which seems (from the description) to "automatically" optimise any video load between the iGPU and the card GPU :

" it perfectly combines the performance of discrete graphics cards with fast computing iGPU. Also with the newly designed Virtual Sync, users can enjoy a smoother gaming experience by eliminating tearing artifacts. LucidLogix Virtu MVP could also dynamically assign tasks to the best available graphics resource, based on power, performance and system load. This allows users to fully utilize 3x faster video conversion with Intel® Quick Sync Video 2.0 technology while retaining high-end 3D rendering and gaming performance, provided by both NVIDIA® and AMD graphic cards"

so I wonder what effect enabling/disabling onboard graphics has? (other than causing PD to crash!)

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm interested in what you did to enable/disable on-board graphics? There have been a number of threads on combining intel quicksynch with discrete cards and the issues that arise :

I enabled the option in the BIOS, where it has the choice of enable/disable, normally disabled by default. I had been running in normal mode for a few days and just testing performance, and wanted to try this option as I have heard such good reports, but I have not seen any numbers. For example I can render a 59 minute wmv file to MP4 best quality in 13 minutes, and avchd, 720 in 6 minutes. Compared to what I can do on another PC I have it is 3 times faster. I was hoping to use Quick Synch to see if that can be improved, but I am very reluctant to try it again. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready