Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot play blu-ray with DVI to Analog but DVDs work
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Why is it I must use an HDCP monitor and HDMI cable to play blu-ray disks, but DVDs work OK when I only have a VGA monitor connected? Nero Kwik, DAPlayer and DVDFab player can play the same blu-ray disk, but if I bring up PowerDVD 9, 10 or 12 I get an error message when the blu-ray loads and I am told I need a digital output. This message does not appear when I used a wide screen hdcp with hdmi cable and the movie then plays just fine.

This is repeatable on 3 systems

PowerDVD 9 on gtx460
PowerDVD 10 on hd5850
PowerDVD 12 trial on gtx570 SLI

I was told by tech support to upgrade powerdvd to version 12 to fix the problem. I am glad I just got the trial because their suggestion did not work. I connected my HDCP TV to my computers with an HDMI cable and sure enought, it then played ok.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 26. 2012 07:00

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
this is mandatory behaviour for BD certified players.

can you please provide your support case ID - I want to check CS reply to you.

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
First response was here

Suggestion to upgrade to 12 is here

Have you got a link for "this is mandatory behaviour for BD certified players"

I can understand why DVDFab's media player would not follow rules since that company provides tools to copy blu-rays, but Nero and their Kwik play blu-rays without needing an HDMI cable.

thanks for replying.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 26. 2012 13:13

Ben Ryves [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 06, 2009 19:03 Messages: 61 Offline
[Post New]
It must be an HDCP-compatible monitor (see Wikipedia) but it doesn't need to be over HDMI - DVI should work fine, too. VGA will not work, however (and this includes a pass-through DVI to VGA adaptor - you need an all-digital link).

AnyDVD HD apparently circumvents this copy-protection so may be worth trying if you don't want to have to buy a new monitor. As a hardware alternative you could check out the HDfury.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 26. 2012 14:32