Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Outputting a project to Blu Ray, jittery video. What formats should I use for HD? **SOLVED**
Modge1248 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2012 05:45 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Folks,

I cant get my PowerDirector 10 Ultra project to burn to blu ray without the video jittering and jolting all the way through, or so the format is not recognized by Power DVD 9 or Media Player. What am I doing wrong and what formats should I use? A bit more detail coming up:

I completed a home video project on PD10. The source was HD Camcorder video. I then go to produce and this is where I need to choose a format. I don't know the best format for a final Blu Ray disk so I try MP4 in its highest quality mode. I then - after an age of production time (I have an i5 PC with 8gB of memory and plenty of HDD space, etc.) complete this stage.

I go to create disk, I choose 2D Blu Ray 1920 x 720 (or whatever it was) 1080i x 50 for Pal UK and set the record speed to 4x to match the disk. I get video that is recognized by DVD 9 and Media Player but will not play back without it appearing as if each frame is jolting when the shots pan. It does the same in my Blu Ray player.

I try different lower quality options including MPEG 2 right down to SD quality, AVCHD, H264 at different levels for production and different qualities for burning the disk. Most of these are not recognized by DVD 9 or Media Player, will play in my Blu Ray Player but again jitter.

My objective is to get a disk burnt with my home video playing smoothly as it does on the original andduring preview, that works on DVD 9, Media Player and on my Blu Ray Player at HD quality or as good as I can get away with.

What am I doing wrong? Could it be the disks? What are proven formats for 'Produce' and the ' Create' that others have found produce the results?

I'm 5 disks trashed so far so could do with some advise!!!!

Many thanks in advance.

Modge

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 02. 2012 14:49

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Modge

Welcome to the volunteer forum

I have had similar problems to the ones you are experiencing.

After a lot of trail and error I deduced it was a combination of factors.

1. My BD's were inferior quality.

2. I didn't Produce my project first and uncheck SVRT (sure it takes a bit longer but I found the produce file was better).

3. My burn was set at x 4

4. My finished project would play in one blu ray player but not my other.

My solution was to:

1. Use better quality discs (Sony)

2. Produce my project first (Produce>H.264 AVC>AVCHD1920x1080/50i (24mpbs)).I choose this profile because my source video were these. Uncheck SVRT - on my system it works better.

I also keep my Produced files stored on my WD Book external hard drive. I can plug this into my Blu Ray via the USB and watch my movies in full HD without any loss in quality from burning to disc, bd player leads into back of TV etc etc

I then opened a new project and imported this Produced file

3. Reduce my burn speed down to x 1

4. Updated the firmware/software on blu ray players by going to the manufacturers web site.

Turn off shadow edit file in Preferences. Also try: uncheck hardware acceleration, also in Preferences - I've tried this but it really didn't make any difference.

Note: Another great way was to burn the project as an AVCHD disk using a DVD - certainly much cheaper than blu ray discs and pretty much the same quality

Happy editing

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 28. 2012 22:29

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Modge1248 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ni Neil
Excellent tips!
My first job is to go out and buy some top quality disks!
How do you import a produced file?
Many thanks
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Good reply Neil

Just a comment regarding AVCHD discs (high resolution but not blu-ray).

The AVCHD disc is a great idea and I make them almost exclusively. The amount of video time you can put on the disc at best quality is about 40 minutes. That's a little less than what you can put on the disc for standard definition. Again I'm referring to best quality which is what we all want.

Sony discs were all I used to use but they seem to have gone downhill a bit depending on the package. Verbatim are excellent and you can get those locally. I prefer JVC-Toiyo Yuden which are availble on line only.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Modge1248 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Neil,

Sounds like I should check out AVCHD discs.

Neil
In your earlier post you did not say what format you produce in (MPEG2, 4, etc) That would be useful to know.

Thanks

Modge
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps just a clarification.

An AVCHD disc is a standard DVD blank media burned with a standard computer burner. The video format is AVCHD. It must be played on your blu-ray optical drive or on a Blu-ray DVD player that will play that type of disc. Most do but some don't. The downside is that the time on an AVCHD disc is limited.

As compared to a blu-ray disc, you don't need the blu-ray burner and don't need those higher priced discs. Time is not as limited. You still need the blu-ray optical drive or player.

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Modge

I Produce using the profile as close to the original files as possible eg my source files (right click file > properties in Media Library will show the type etc)

You can rename your file or the default name js Produce, Produce_1,2 etc. This Produced file is then stored in the Output folder (usually My Videos). You can change this output folder in the Preferences area.

As mention earlier by stevek (great post BTW) an AVCHD DVD does have it's limitations Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Modge1248 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Chaps

That's great info. I am now Producing using Neil's suggested format. I'm going to try with my existing rubbish Blu Ray disks as if they are destined for the bin they may as well be used! When burning to disk what format should I use then ? I seem to recall I have the choice of MPEG 2 or H264. If I stick with 1920 x 1080 / 50i to keep close to the original and the produced files that is probably the best bet. Is that my best option for playing on Blu Ray commercial players, Power DVD 9 and Windows Media Player (I want the discs to play on these preferably and to be future proof. I don't want to try to play them in ten years only to find the format has become obsolete (Betamax DVD RAM minidisks etc)!!

Cheers again.

Modge
Modge1248 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have created a successful burn! (Using the cheap Blu Rays.
Thanks chaps

Modge
CubbyHouseFilms
[Post New]
That's great

Could you please change the subject line to include **SOLVED** at the beginning or end.

This will give other editors achance of finding a solution for a similar problem.

Thanks for letting us know.

Happy editing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 01. 2012 18:53

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel

Gordo631 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 08, 2013 19:43 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am using PD16. I coverted some VhS c videotape to digital and edited them in Pd16. The original converted files play ok on my computer. The converted format is MPEG-2, After I edited the file in Pd16 I burned it to a DVD. When I play the DVD there was a lot of side to side jittering. Enough to make th video incomfortable to watch. I then tried producing the file first from PD16, also created an iso file and burned again. Problem still the same, Jittery. After trying everything I could think of I decided to produce the file in Windows Movie Maker. I then burned the file to DVD and the result was a perfect copy. Good resolution and no Jitters. So, over the past years I have upgraded PD from PD11 to PD13 to PD15 and PD16 version , at a costof course, upgrade aren't free Now I have paid money for what is supposed to be a top of the line editing program and find myself having to revert back to a free program to get acceptable results.
Does'nt say much for Cyberlink products, does it. I am using high quality media and I found the same problem with Regular DVDs, BlueRay and M-Disks.
From reading the posts I can see I'm not the only one having problems. You would think CyberLink would adress this problem and find a fix. I am convinced the problem is not in the media used or the file but in the PD16 program. I can't see a 17 upgrade in the future for me unless I find a solution to this problem. Real support is needed from Cyberlink instead of having customers search for solutions from othe customers.